• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finally home again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am finally back from the Musik Messe show in Frankfurt, Germany. Another year down and only 40 or so to go.

All of you would love it there. Just about anything that makes noise is sold there as a musical instrument. There are trumpet makers from everywhere in the world with every kind of design you can imagine. A true TH member's paradise.

The most interesting thing of this year's show was the blow back we were hearing regarding some trumpets made in a certain foreign country. I don't want to get into specifics about the companies in question, but we heard time and time again about the poor quality. One manufacturer had a trumpet on display for the show that had peeled and seized pistons after just one day of playing. I couldn't believe it. Once again, nickel silver reigned supreme.

One of our foreign dealers went around with a professional trumpet player from his country trying everyone's student trumpets. He is starting his own rental program and wanted a trumpet that would play well and last. Of every thing he played, the player liked our 300/400 series student trumpets the best. He thought the playability was great for a student horn and was blown away by the quality of the valves. He couldn't believe that we use the same materials and methods to build a $450 student trumpet that we use on a $3000 pro horn. His exact quote was "Your valves don't even need to be oiled." I don't know about that, but the high praise was great to hear.

We also had several players offer to buy trumpets right off the shelf in the display. Fortunately for us, everything was sold to our German distributor and he had a salesman working the booth so he could sell them to the players that wanted them.

All in all it was a successful show again this year. We were slammed from beginning to end with players from all over the world for both Getzen and Edwards instruments. I would have to say that, as far as trumpets go, the most popular this year were the Getzen 3003 Genesis and the Edwards Gen X. Big surprise there.

So, since I have been gone so long, what have I missed? I tried to catch up, but I'm sure somethings have slipped through the cracks.

Finally, let me say, damn it's good to be home.

Brett Getzen
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i bought a vintage Martin but while i was at Dillon's i played around with a Getzen cornet.
i really liked the valves a lot. if i ever get some money..................

I'm amazed at how sweet the old martin plays.
it takes a plain olde major scale and makes it sound like magic.

i don't understand why someone doesn't reverse engineer this horn with the .453 bore and all and mass market it.
if i had the resources that's the first thing I'd do.
Washington BC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett-

You should pay for your advertising. I thought very Getzen and Edwards horn I ever tried was inferior to other equipment I owned/tried.

BC
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington BC:

Thanks for your opinion, and that's just what it is an opinion. Nobody can make a perfect instrument for every player out there. Sorry we couldn't build something right for you. At least you were open minded enough to try them and that's all I can ask. There are a lot of players that won't even consider a trumpet unless it says Bach or Yamaha on the bell.

As for the advertising remark, what exactly are you referring too? If you mean my statements about the show, I was only relating what was told to me by several players/dealers and what instruments of ours they liked the most. I have been asked by several players at shows and on TH which of our trumpets are most popular/best received. After four days and a few thousand players I feel safe in saying that the trumpets in our booth that got the most play time and most positive comments were definately the Genesis and Gen X. Personally, I see nothing wrong with that. Everyone on here knows who I am and what I do. Even I often state that my opinions are biased at times before I make them. It's not like I am trying to trick anyone at all. You can take whatever I say however you want. It really makes no difference to me.

Finally, I notice that you have a Monette trumpet. Do you still play it? How do you feel about the quality of the valve set on it? After all, we make them for Monette.

Thanks,

Brett
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-06 17:56, Getzen wrote:
Finally, I notice that you have a Monette trumpet. Do you still play it? How do you feel about the quality of the valve set on it? After all, we make them for Monette.

I love this. We were talking about this at a gig this weekend. Isn't the valve cluster the guts of a trumpet and probably the most complex and expensive component? Lawler uses the cluster as the basis of a very reasonably priced custom horn. Monette does something else...

Anyway, thanks for sharing about your trip. I haven't played any of your horns in quite a while, but I thought that the Capri and Eterna cornets we used in the Midland, Tx Salvation Army were excellent. If I ever buy another cornet, the Eterna would be at the top of my list to try.

Dave
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The valve section is indeed the most complex and expensive componet of any trumpet. I did a quick count and if you take out trim parts (top and bottom caps, finger buttons, felts, etc....) a trumpet has about 92 parts. Of those 92 parts, 49 of them are in the valve section. This makes the valve section not only the most expensive material wise, but also labor wise as well.

As for the "guts of the horn" aspect, my answer is yes and no. Granted, it is the most important part of any trumpet, however, sound wise there are much more important parts. A small change to the bell, leadpipe, slide tubes will make a dramatic change to how your trumpet plays or sounds. Meanwhile, small changes to the pistons generally don't translate to dramatic sound changes.

I always have to laugh a little when I hear some players discussing what changes what. I once had a player tell me that the use of pearl in the finger buttons affected the sound of a trumpet. That and the type of metal and gauge of the piston springs. Generally, those are the same guys that have never cleaned out the inside of their trumpet so they have a .460" bore trumpet knocked down to a .455" bore because of all the goop built up inside. The .005" difference in bore didn't matter, but the .0005" difference in the outside diameter of the piston springs did. A perfect example how all trumpet players are a little crazy.... myself included.

Brett
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Thanks, for the report, It's nice to see your posts again. I always enjoy reading your opinions. It's nice to see positive posts from manufacturing reps.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoy reading posts from Brett at Getzen, and Flip Oakes' posts as well. It gives an insight into the manufacturing end of the trumpet world. We all know they are advocates for the horns they build, we know where they are coming from, so I don't think it is offensivly blatant advertising.... jbqd
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Getzen; thank you for the info. I like your horns as a rule and like the student grade trumpets better than nearly any other. Please keep us all informed about the new instruments you have coming out. Thank you.
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Getzen,

your "old" Getzen Custom (B1 bell) is the only trumpet I have not sold over a long period. I sold or traded many horns, like Taylor, Schilke, Stomvi, Bach, Yamaha, Thein, F. Besson, Martin Com. etc,etc,etc..... I still have the Getzen. Thank you for that. It is perfect, not only the valves !!!!!!!!
Keep on posting !!!!
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like James B Quick I enjoy reading the opinions of manufacturers such as Brett Getzen and Flip Oakes -- it's a pity that Leigh McKinney of Eclipse Trumpets doesn't seem to post here anymore.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, although I've never played one of your trumpets, I enjoy reading your posts. Unlike the reps of a certain other company, you seem like a genuinely nice guy.

I'm not sure why Leigh doesn't post here anymore, but he still posts over at trumpetmaster. Does Mr. Lawler still post here?
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the past year, there was a good deal of conflict and dispute about marketing tactics and advertising on TH. If you remember the Abbott and Costello routine about saying "Niagra Falls" - it describes the emotional charge of the term "Zeus" on TH. It got pretty wacky. It caused Alex to be banned from TH, enabled Trumpet Master to lauch his site, created enough flames for folks to feel burned and leave TH (Eclipse is an example) or split their attention between TH and trumpetmaster site, and made some folks sensitive about how vendors and makers should post on the board.

Like some posters here, I'm happy to see makers and vendors post about their experiences and thoughts. It's up to the moderators to decide if the TH policy on marketing/advertising is being violated (the policy was revised during the flame wars to fairly loose guidelines against manipulative tactics, blatent huxterism, and overly zealous or repetitous pitches).

The posts from Getzen don't bother me. They are civil, informative, and engaging.
Lawler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett
In my opinion Getzen is a sleeping giant. Your factory is very near grabbing a major part of the trumpet market. You simply make the best valves. I cant tell you how much your company has helped my products move to a higher level. I know one thing that service is key with your company. Mr. Tom DeGrave (Digger) is the man. He is very helpful and has the experiance you dont find in most places and willing to tell you about the processes. Here,Here on you efforts to help with questions about your products. I Thank You and I am honored to have your company interested in making a difference in my company!
Roy Lawler
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks for the support. I have tried to be completely honest here with what I say and do. Of course I am going to support my own products and who wouldn't. I just try to make it a point to say that I am biased when it comes to trumpets. I also make a point of saying that we do not make the "perfect" trumpet that everyone will love. Nobody can do that. All I have ever asked is that you guys give our horns a try before buying something else.

Are my posts advertising? Sure, I guess so. I would look at it more as PR and market research than anything else. I'm sure there are members on this site that work for or are manufacturers/dealers, but don't come out and say it. There are some posters that are just too gungho in what they are pushing. At least with me you know where I stand and where I'm coming from. If my posting on here offends anyone or violates the mandates of the moderators, well so be it. I'm just trying to help out with some of the questions you guys have and if I slip an ad in here or there that's just a bonus for me.

Thanks again,

Brett Getzen
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brett, I have a question. Do you think in general horns have been improved through the years or are some aspects of hornmaking not possible anymore. I have the feeling that the horns aren't improved. Maybe because labor is to expensive, the brass is different, massproduction etc.
Eclipse Trumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy's

I had never really left in fact!

I read all the posts that i find interesting every day i am on the net, all i did was stop putting pen to paper.

Without dragging too much up from the past, i decided not to post anymore as i thought that TH had gone down a dangerous path of flaming and victimisation that it would never recover from.I did say that i was finished here,but those who remember what it was like around here only 3 or 4 months ago will appreciate that there has been a huge turnaround in recent times so i thought maybe it was worth another try?
There will always be the few bad apples but i guess i will have to live with that.

As Brett has stated, it is very difficult to answer some of the questions put to you without sounding like we are advertising.
Each member on here will have a very varied and different view as to where we as the manufacturers have crossed the line into blatant advertising, or are simply answering the questions put to us in the best way we can.

It must surely be an advantage to you to have the likes of Brett, Roy, Myself and all the other makers on board.
We are not trying to sneak in here with our products with names like: Lawler, Eclipse and Getzen!!! You all know we make horns and we are here for your benefit aswell as our own.

The fact of the matter is, none of us make 1 single horn that fits everyones wants and needs! It just doesnt work that way does it. So therefore many different makers make many different horns to cater for many different people.

There are so many good horns out there these days that there is no right and wrong, too much or too cheap!!! The bottom line is:- Just play whatever feels best for you because that will undoubtedly be the right choice.

The name on the front will never make you play any better!

I hope to meet as many of you as i can in Denver this coming June

Warmest Regards

Leigh

Eclipse Trumpets

[ This Message was edited by: Eclipse Trumpets on 2004-04-07 13:34 ]
jamesfrmphilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go ahead and advertise!
you make good products that you're rightfully proud of.
i think every vendor should be free to give the details of what they have to offer.

I'm a big boy, i can sort out any BS for myself.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Leigh - I wasn't here when all that stuff happened, but since I have been here I have found this forum a very useful resource.

As a trumpet student, it is invaluable to have access the advice of the various people on here - from professional players to trumpet teachers and trumpet makers.

I think everyone understands that a manufacturer is going to be biased towards his own trumpets, but I think it is everyone's loss if people such as yourself stop posting here.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: mikeytrpt on 2004-04-08 16:40 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: