• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Remedial BE and a separate question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought BE a while back and had great success with it. I combined BE with Caruso ( I am a comeback player who studied with Caruso many years ago). The program for me is successful. I can regularly go above double C ( although its not "mine") but I gradually dropped BE in favor of a more involved Caruso routine.

I have "cupids bow" as big as a NY sirloin and it is the bane of my existence. It swells up easily when I have a cold and I sometimes have to take some exotic medicines which also cause swelling.. So I tend to start the bad habit of tucking my lower lip up under my upper lip and way over my teeth. Its getting extreme so I am back to the BE roll out and roll in exercises although in Caruso fashion I follow them with a chromatic scale from low F# to high G and back. Seems to be curing the problem.

Now for my question..The Roll in and Roll out exercises start on the first harminic ( G or C) and tend to only go down to the fourht harmonic( A). Callet tends to do this too. Is there a reason for ignoring the rest of the harmonics ?

[ This Message was edited by: Jerry Freedman on 2004-04-07 09:45 ]
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

Sorry, but you lost me here. Could you please rephrase the question? Please be very specific.

Thanks.

Jeff
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the book handy but I noticed that some of your exercises don't go through all the harmonics --ie don'tstart open and go down through to valves 1 2 3down but only go to valves 1 2 down. Callet does this and my teacher Jeanne Pocius ( a Callet disciple) does this. I was idly wondering why the excersises don't run through all the 7 valve combinations and not just the first 4
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerry,

That sounds odd, perhaps you've got a printing error in your copy of the book? In my book, the excersises do not lack harmonics at all, except for roll in 1-3, which use only the open, 2nd valve and 1st valve position. Roll in 4 has all seven again. Slurs also cover all seven positions...

Ko
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I meant. There are some exercises which don't go through all the positions...why?
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,

Part of my confusion was that Jerry Callet doesn't do roll in exercises, but you say that he has exercises which only cover a few valve positions. Which exercises are these? Since I am unaware of them, I am certain that, in this case anyway, he had no influence over my decision to limit the partials used on roll in's.

As Ko said, roll in's are the only BE exercises where the partials are limited.

The reason for doing this, was because many years of working with students made it clear to me that using all the partials was basically overkill. It only takes a touch of this to get the idea. And shorter exercises are more likely to be practiced than long ones.

Nothing profound about it, I'm sorry to say!

Jeff
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jeff...that answers my question. Its what I thought but I wanted to be sure. From years of doing Caruso I take them through all the positions anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: