• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mods

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some of the more common modifications pepole have done to there trumpets and what are the effects? Also what do they cost you?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm... depending on what you mean by modification... here are a few I've heard of people doing...

1.) removing laquer or silver finish (some people do this themselves because they like raw brass better)
2.) adding heavy valve caps, lightweight finger buttons on valves (better slotting with heavy valve caps, faster valve action with lightweight finger buttons.. I don't use either.. I'm just taking an educated guess on how it affects the playability)
3.) having a valve alignment done - (horn might play more open after this)
4.) cryogenic freezing (have no idea what that does)
5.) converted to tuneable bell - bell vibrates more freely.. resonant..
6.) using heavier mouthpiece (Bach Megatone)
7.) gold plating (different sound maybe?)

That's about all I can think of right off... Maybe someone can give a more detailed explanation of some of these things...
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those unfortunate enough to purchase the Walmart, Costco or Sam's Club trumpet, don't forget the lamp conversion......

One of the most significant changes someone can do to the horn is a rear tuning slide conversion done by Leigh McKinney at First Class Brass in the UK. The rear tuning slide is substantially different than the tunable bell (where the enitire bell moves) The rear tuning slide is similar to a traditional front tuning slide but is placed where the back bow of the horn. The bell is still attached (soldered) to the horn in the same configuration as a traditional horn. The back bow of the bell is used for tuning and is the part that can physically move, the bell is static. This allows for fantastic intonation. I had my Olds Ambassador converted, apparently several top tier UK players tried the horn after its conversion and were amazed. (you can see Noel Langley's (loneyangel) review of the horn on TM http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1301&start=30 ) This is a time consuming process for Leigh but the results are a fantastic sounding horn.

One friend, a died in the wool Bach fan, stated about my conversion; "I finally can focus on playing music rather than worrying about playing my horn too."
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, ILl have my OLDS overhauled this summer and I've ask to had a first valve hook on it... for comfort and tuning!
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only permanent change I have made to my horn is to add a heavy receiver. This has helped focus my projection, I thought it was a bit too difuse. The heavy receiver was around $50.00 but I was having other work done to the horn that required it to be refinished otherwise it would have been a few hundred bucks I think.
I have a rounded tuning slide that I use from time to time instead of the 'D' shaped originally provided. I ordered an oval crook from Kanstul without a brace. The effect was incredible ... my sound got more broad but with no resistance, it felt as if there was a vacuum on the other end of the horn. I have since added a removable sound post on the tuning crook. It feels as though some of the resistance is back and slotting is not quite as 'slippery' in the upper register. 100.00 for the tuning crook and 20 for the sound post.
For those days that I convince myself that with a copper bell and heavy receiver that my sound is not dark enough, there is the oft talked about heavy valve cap that goes on the third valve. heavy valve caps were around 10 a piece ... I have one standard and one heavy for each case.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only change I have made to my horn is the amount of time I practice. All these other items are poor substitutes for good practice.
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Kanstul Besson Brevette that was heavily modified by its previous owner, including stripping off the silver plating, removing the spit valves, moving the braces, and replacing the finger hook -- all with the purpose of improving the horn's response (I understand what the first three do, at least in theory, but not the finger hook). The horn plays quite well.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheng,

I would agree if you had made the statement that there is no subsititute for good practice. Yet you leap to the conclusion that modifications are done to compensate for lack of practice time.

I disagree with your conclusion. Some modifications would certainly be justified and in fact enhance the practice time. Let's say, your horn had intonation problems, in your case, you're saying you would spend more practice time learning how to fight a horn rather than learning how to play the music well.... that is NOT good practice.

Another instance, if your horn was stuffy on the top end, what your saying is changing the tuning slide or having a Pilczuk lead pipe is a "poor substitute" for taking practice time to learn how to make the horn do what you need it to do. Why fight a horn when a simple modification could do? Why spend good practice time trying to overcome a horns limitations when you could use "good practice" time learning the music?
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned water key modifications - switching lever-type to Amados (and back again...), or adding one to the 3d valve slide if water collects there.

(Cheng, I don't see how practicing is a substitute for good water drainage!)
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in high school and I was kind of curious and was thinking about changing the lead pipe on my bach to a blackburn. However my Dad said that I shouldn't change it until i know that I'll like it or know exactly what it will do. SO my dad offered to get another Bach off of ebay cheap and then would let me get different things done to that and kind of have a frankenstein horn type thing going on so with the things I liked i could do that to my main horn. What are somethings you would suggest trying out, and why?
(mind you this is not trying to get around practice this is to enhance what I already have, my current practice regiment is good.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: