• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach (or others) single-radius/rounded tuning slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I just received a new 56 Holton Stratodyne after an overhaul and am having a great time playing it. I was told it's a copy of a Bach Strad and I was wondering if any of the custom tuning slides might fit it. As far as I know it's a .459/.460 bore and has a very D shaped tuning slide. I was wondering what a rounded one might do for how it plays and sounds. I don't know what to measure, but the distance between the top and bottom openings is 1 7/8" (inches). I was also wondering if a rounded slide might put it a tiny bit out of tune - isn't there more length on a rounded slide than a D shaped one or is at an optical illusion?

Anyway, if anyone knows where I could buy/custom make a slide, that would be great. Even better, if you know of anyone who might accept a return if it doesn't fit, that would make me *very* happy. Just don't want to buy something that doesn't work. I know there was a member on here who does such work for people, just can't remember his/her name at the moment... Thanks in advance,

Oliver
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rounded main tuning slide should result in less resistance, for a more open feel when playing. Unless Holton makes a rounded slide for their horns, you should probably have a rounded slide custom made for your horn. Even if the Holton you play was modelled on a Bach horn, I would guess that slides are unlikely to be interchangeable across different makers' horns.
TimBrown
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do it, and find that it does make a difference, let me know. Back when I owned a Bach Strad, I called selmer and asked them about a round one, and they said that they didn't think it would make any difference that would offset the cost. I never tried it, so I have no experence one way or the other...

Tim
1912 Holton New Proportion cornet
Kanstul CCF 925 flugel
King 1122 MFH

10 out of 10 people die. Do you consider yourself to be a good person?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: