• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Halsey Stevens and Kennan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farbewerk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who actually premiered these two pieces? Two different players, I'm sure. I'm curious because I'd like to see if the people who premiered them have recordings or if there are historical recordings available. Also, it would be interesting to try and get an idea of the sound each of these composers may have had in mind. I have a feeling having listened to older recordings, that concept of sound has changed rather significantly since these pieces were composed.

Sean
farbewerk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Theodore Gresh premiered Halsey Stevens. I got a very nice letter from Halsey Steven's daughter.

First performance of Halsey Stevens' Trumpet Sonata:

Hartt College of Music, Hartford, Connecticut
November 12, 1957
Theodore Gresh (I assume the trumpet player)
Geraldine Douglas (I assume the pianist)
robert_white
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kennan bears the dedication: "To J. Frank Elsass". Elsass played with the Goldman band in the 1930's. Maybe he taught at Eastman with Kennan at some point?

[ This Message was edited by: robert_white on 2004-04-15 13:19 ]
farbewerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this response from Mr. Steven's daughter when I asked if he had a favorite recording of his Sonata:

Regarding a favorite recording of the Stevens Trumpet Sonata: I contacted Conrad Immel who is writing a biography of my father. He knew my father and his music very well. This is what he had to say:

"The trumpet sonata is a somewhat unique piece in your father's oeuvre in the sense that it has become so much a staple piece.....Halsey used to puzzle over the fact that one piece would become popular while several others which were just as good if not better would be almost ignored.

"As for his having had a favorite recording, I really don't think that would have been the case. He was always grateful when his music was performed or recorded and usually did not offer much in the way of praise or criticism. And, of course, he stopped being really fully aware of what went on around him about 1986...1987 at the latest, so any recording he would have preferred would be almost twenty years old.

"My advice to the prospective performer is basically that which I gave the the young man who asked about Go, Lovely Rose. Namely, play the phrases the way they are written and look for the music which is in the piece. As simplistic as this may sound, it really works for Halsey's music. He put so much musicality into his music, that if you look for it, you can't go wrong."

Pretty neat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: