• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

acclimating to E flat trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpcyms1993
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: acclimating to E flat trumpet Reply with quote

I have never played e flat trumpet until this semester. What are some good ways to get more comfortable playing it?
Harrelson SWE trim kit
Monette BL2S3 XLT Prana
Monette B6S1 STC 1 Prana
Monette 6
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play it, daily. And play some of the same things that you play on your bigger horns; same etudes, excerpts-that kind of thing, to get used to the differences.

Don't try to force it to have the same tone - it will probably take you a while to settle into a tone you're comfortable with.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start out by playing easy stuff you know, like the Arban phrasing studies or the Getchell books - something not too hard. Play as written just to get used to hearing notes coming out of the horn higher than you expect at first.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you might try some fun, easy, melodic music, for example, Getchell/Hovey First Book of Practical Studies, or Concone Lyrical Studies, or maybe some of the easier pieces from the Arban book, Art of Phrasing.

Rest often, try to relax, don't play very loud, and just focus on the music. This will keep your conscious thoughts on the music and allow your subconscious brain to get acclimated to all the differences in how the smaller trumpet feels when played. You'll also be able to judge when you're ready to transition from this easier material to more challenging repertoire.

[edit: I see cji was suggesting some of the same material while I was typing. ]
Piccolo Stomvi
m3auer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try listening to a lot of pieces that use an Eb trumpet to acclimate your ears and your mind to the sound. It should help to improve your playing.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the above add - air flow.

Lots of players starting out on higher horns have all sorts of intonation issues, start using alternate fingerings and then chase themselves from here to the back of the black stump.

The actual instrument will also make a difference. A short model Yamaha is a very different proposition to large bore 4 valve B&S, and also to a Schilke E3L, etc. Some are small bored, some are like a cut down C trumpet.

But above all, sit back and enjoy the ride!

cheers

Andy
CodyMac90

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add it to your warm up each day. Just a few minutes or so(Depending on how long your routine is). If you teach private lessons that require you to demonstrate the same thing over and over each day, pull it out and use it then. Just like when you got your C trumpet, it'll take time on the horn.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is that the horn plays a third or fourth higher than what you are used to hearing when reading the music (depending on whether your "home" horn is a C or Bb). When you see a printed 2nd line G, you have to hear a concert Bb and aim for that instead of the G or F that you are expecting. You might also try singing a third or fourth above the printed music to get used to this concept without taxing your chops in the process.

J
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's at all like the transition to the picc then you'll be inclined to play too low in the slot causing you to push the tuning slide way in. Far better to leave the tuning slide in a more neutral position and learn to play a bit higher in the slot than you're accustomed to.

I recommend that you do all your regular routine on your Bb then reserve time to do one Clarke study at modest to low intensity on the Eb just to help you get aligned with the intervals.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like quietish breath attacks to get settled on how a different trumpet speaks/sounds. Also, it's gentle, and won't hurt you or tire you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: