• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching a 4th grader to play in tempo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
climbingoddess

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any suggestions?

He understands the concept of note values and knows that, for example a quarter note gets one beat and a half note gets two beats, but for the life of me, I can not get him to play in tempo with a metronome (or without for that matter!)

I have tried counting out the subdivisions with him, clapping/tapping the rhythm, playing while I count the rhythms/subdivisions (and encouraging him to count in his head while playing), playing for him as an example, playing with him, and he is always instructed to tap his foot (which also poses a problem as he sometimes taps one tempo and plays in about 10 other tempos!)...

As far as I can tell he understands how it is all supposed to work, but when he puts the horn to his face he can't play in tempo! He can usually clap the rhythm in tempo without any problem.

He is doing just fine otherwise (as fine as a 4th grader can do!), my guess is that it is a lot to take in and as he tries to play, thinking about the note, the fingering, getting a decent sound, ect., it overwhelms him and the rhythms go out the window.

This is the last stepping stone to having a really good foundation and I need some help getting over this hurdle! Any advice is welcomed--i've never had this particular issue persist this long with any other students.

Thanks in advance!
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have answered your own question when you say, “my guess is that it is a lot to take in and as he tries to play, thinking about the note, the fingering, getting a decent sound, etc., it overwhelms him and the rhythms go out the window”.

Exactly! Focusing conscious thought to many areas simultaneously is impossible. The key to progress in a particular area is to find ways to isolate the conscious thought specifically to the one area that needs improvement.

There is a great book by Robert Starer that I have been working from away from the trumpet. This approach eliminates all of the other obstacles that are in the way when trying to learn how to play rhythms in time. Since the student does not have the trumpet in his hands when working out of the book, conscious thought can be directed in one of two different areas. Rhythmic identification (with a metronome) or instilling internal pulse (without a metronome) where the primary focus is on strong beat / weak beat.

5 minutes a day in this book (say as a break in a 30-minute practice session), will put him light years ahead of his peers. In a short amount of time his subconscious will take over and give him one less thing to have to think about while playing (the goal of all our practice).

Check out the post “A Rhythmic Epiphany” at:
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=14151&forum=2&12

For a young student, it’s probably best to get the Basic Rhythmic Training book.

Hope this helps!

[ This Message was edited by: Derek Reaban on 2004-04-13 17:14 ]
kzem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second Derek's suggestion. After reading Derek's MANY posts on the Starer book- I picked one up, and am really enjoying the benefits. The exercises start out simple enough for any level player.

Kurt Z
bophead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to this problem ... being rhythm resistant myself. I have found playing two part exercises out of 'rhythm reading' by daniel kazez on a drum pad (left hand top line, right hand bottom line) with a metronome is helping. So I would suggest writting out some exercises of that nature for him to work on. It is just a matter of consistant practice. Stress the importance of his practicing this stuff - perfectly. Be patient. Good things will happen.

All the best!

[ This Message was edited by: bophead on 2004-04-17 01:34 ]
GrumpyPe0n
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm..try putting his foot on top of yours when you tap the tempo and he plays...Maybe that will keep his foot consistant and fix his time problem? i dunno
Kenman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teach him to dance..
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For one of my students, I've been having problems getting him to tap his foot. Seems to bother him some, as he's not used to it. Doesn't help that the BD (and school district, perhaps, judging by a few concerts I've attended) advocate "internalizing" the rhythm and do not want the kids tapping on stage ("looks/sounds bad"...)

Anyway, I've found an exercise my teacher uses seems to help. I open up Getchell and we trade off measures. Either one of us starts (I often alternate) counting it off, then each plays two measures or so. The idea is to keep the song flowing smoothly, no breaks, and to match each other's style. We do it slowly enough that the sight reading isn't an issue. Compared to drills and such, it's amazing how well the student performs when placed into this musical situation. If/when we hit a glitch, we back up, slow down, work it through once or twice, and go on. He's picking up the ability to get the tempo down, and stay with me, along with rhythms, sight reading, and (most importantly) musicality.

FWIWFM - Don
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Don's idea. The student needs to hear the the sound which includes time, timbre, articulation, etc......... Play it for him then have him play it back. Sing the tune with him. If he can sing in time, he can play in time. Foot tapping should occur as a result of the music not the other way around. Have him stand up and march to the music. Most players with time problems are simply being too analytical instead of playing music naturally.

Analysis breeds paralysis,

Billy B
climbingoddess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: