• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hosaphone and the comeback player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
intacc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think of making use of the Hosaphone to help to build the chops? Is there a detrimental affect to trumpet playing to play the Hosaphone as much as the trumpet? Can it help or hinder development?

thanks...
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hosaphone is fun. In the plus column:

- It adds variety to MP buzzing and buzzing the leadpipe.
- Great for building with a kid who has a music or science project. I helped my daughter make a killer one with 40 feet of tubing that went across the classroom and hung down two stories of the building. Added a splitter so secondary hoses could run in different directions and create surroundsound. She got an A and became very popular.
- Cheap to build several and hang them in convenient spots - kitchen table, the car, front of TV, over bed. One with a 40 foot tube allows you to play in bed quietly if the hose runs out a window or into another room. Spouses love that.
- Wonderful way to earn a reputation as an eccentric - especially if you do the last thing.
- Good asset for your act if you supplement your income as a clown at kid's parties.

On the down side, the hose can scar your MP by scoring the silver (really, I did that). If you're using a gold Monette MP (best for hosaphone), call the maker for a recommendation on protective tape with a mild adhesive that won't hurt the shank.
rafterman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to your question on whether it can be harmful if you play the hosaphone as much as the trumpet, that depends. If someone plays the trumpet very little, matching that time on the hosaphone will not harm their chops - provided they use a MP with a rim.

If someone regularly matches 2 hours or trumpet practice with similar time on the hosaphone - their chops are the last thing they should worry about. There is something deeply wrong with them, unless they are accomplished zen-masters who can handle the deeper uses of the hosaphone.
intacc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking on the order of 30min - hour a day trumpet....and like 30-45 minutes a day (2 sessions) on Hosaphone...
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really have to let your sound be your guide ... you may not be ready to double yet.

When I first acquired a hosaphone, I immediately spent far too long trying to play stuff like "The Hosaphone Shall Sound" from Handel's Messiah, one of the parts from the Vivaldi Concerto for Two Hosaphones, and one of my all-time favorites, Bach's Cantata 51, which has a lovely hosaphone part. (I did notice that due to some editing mistake, all of these parts were indicated as being for trumpet -- go figure!) Unfortunately, I didn't warm up well enough, and I was alternating between a Schilke 14A4a trumpet mouthpiece and a Wick 2 cornet mouthpiece ... I really paid for that session the next day!

The moral of the story is moderation in all things, including hosaphone.

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: