• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help me!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kimmerz549

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking into buying a new Bach TR300 Silver with Gold trim trumpet and I am wondering if that is a good trumpet to buy. I am a freshman in college and consider myself an intermediate player. Is this an intermediate trumpet? Please let me know ASAP! Thank you!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, the TR300 is a student horn, the plating and trim is to satisfy aeshtetic tastes. If you're considering a Bach intermediate tpt, why not try an Omega? It's a pretty decent horn for the price. If brand is not an issue with you, you might try Jupiter or Getzen horns....I've heard good things about them, and the prices are pretty darn reasonable, especially used.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a student horn... but it's very playable. They tend to be a little tight, but if you're playing efficiently, you should be okay with it. I wouldn't bother with the gold trim (unless that's your only option) as it's extra money kind of needlessly spent.

How long have you been playing? And what were you playing before?

Also, they're very cheap used, I wouldn't spend the money on a brand new one. Your local horn shop might have one...

And if you're planning to stick with it, there's no reason not to get a pro horn that you'll have and enjoy for a long time. Plenty of intermediates on the TH use pro horns...

[ This Message was edited by: musiclifeline on 2004-04-15 13:51 ]
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now .... some of us like the two-toned look.
jblo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play that horn first! A friend had one that I borrowed in an emergency (I was playing a student model Blessing that I dropped at a gig - I still think that Blessing was a decent horn - RIP) and I thought it was awful. Way to tight and stuffy to use on a regular basis and I generally like some resistance. I would probably not recomment that horn because you can get so much more horn from other manufacturers at the same $ or even in a good used pro horn. I would say if at all possible play that horn next to a few other horns before making a decision. I also had a very good experience with a pro level Jupiter that I owned for about five years - but I probably wouldn't buy one new. The moral of the story - PLAY it first.

Bb - CarolBrass CTR-5205L-YLT-P
Cornet - CarolBrass CCR-6880-YLS-P
C - CarolBrass CTR-6262H-YSS-P-C
Flug - CarolBrass CFL-6200-RSS-L
Picc - CarolBrass CPC-7735F-YLS-P
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to give good advice without knowing more about your playing. You say you're an intermediate player, but that doen't really tell us much about your skill level or what your goals are. So here are some thoughts that might or might not be applicable to your situation.

Let me start off by saying that I don't know anything about the Omega or the TR-300, so I can't advise you about their quality, playability, &c.

I'm not at all sure that an "intermediate" horn is the best choice, mainly because I'm not a fan of intermediate horns in general. If you're serious about your playing and plan to reach a point where you "should" have a pro-level horn, bite the bullet and get a pro-level horn. The only exception I can think of is if you can get your hands on a Kanstul 610 (hope I remembed that right), which got really good reviews at one of the trumpet fests.

If $$ is an issue (hey, you're a college freshman, I'm betting it is!), consider buying used ... take a look at ebay and the TH Marketplace, and check out if any music students are selling used horns. The vintage Olds horns are quite reasonably priced, an Olds Recording might be a great choice for you. (Lots of people swear by the Olds Ambassador trumpets, but in the 30 seconds I spent trying one out, I really didn't like the blow. Your mileage may vary.)

Hope this helps!

Steve

Matthew 25:31-46
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Allegro is an intermediate trumpet...some people prefer it to the Bach Stradivarius. Bach TR200 is also considered intermediate.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim-

Conn-Selmer considers the TR300 a student instrument, not even an intermediate. That said, my opinion of most step-up or intermediate horns is that they are essentially student horns, but silverplated. They may look better, but they don't play any better. I don't see a middle catagory that is between student and pro horns, at least in sound and playability.

You don't mention what you are playing now. It would help to know, and it would help to know in what way the horn isn't meeting your needs.

If I were looking at student horns, I'd be looking at Yamaha YTR2335's and the Kanstul KTR-700. The Yamahas are fine horns, and while I have never played the Kanstul, they've gotten rave reviews. Kanstul horns are one of the very, very few horns I would buy sight unseen. When the book on 20th century trumpet makers is written, there will be a chapter on Vincent Bach, one on Eldon Benge, one on Renold Schilke and one on Zig Kanstul. Both horns would be comparable or less expensive than the TR300.

Cheers,

Tom
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iīve played and owned some 50 trumpets over the years, and Iīve only come across two real dogs. One of them was a TR300 (brand new, in a store). It played as if the valves were put in in the wrong position (they werenīt). Or if it had a dead rat stuck in the bell (it hadnīt). Well, you get the picture.
The two-toned look is attractive, I agree, but wonīt make the horn play better. Be sure to try it before you buy it. Iīd recommend Yamahas - havenīt played a bad one yet.
If it has to be silver and gold, try a Stomvi Forte. These are great playing and looking horns, definitely pro quality IMHO.

Martin

[ This Message was edited by: Martin on 2004-04-16 03:51 ]
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getzen Capri is a perfect horn for your needs (i thing).

REGARDS
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to Olds and Bach stradivarius??? I heard intermediate horns are a huge waste for money.
Getzenguy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played one TR300 and we did not get along at all.
I would suggest looking at used pro horns too
eg. UMI or pre UMI Benge 3X, 4X or 5X, Getzen 700 or Severinsen. These are all nice horns and have very different "personalities". If you like the contrast as I do (Getzen Renaissance with gold trim) you can get the top and bottom caps plated.
Happy hunting!
gruvertpt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for an Intermediate horn, I would suggest the Bach TR200S or the Yamaha YTR4335GS. If you're set on the beginner level price, I would suggest going with the Yamaha YTR2335M (Monel valves).

Good luck!
Bach 181s37--Cornet
Bach C180S239R--C
Yamaha 9610--D/Eb
Yamaha 9830 Custom--Piccolo
Blackburn leadpipes
Conn Wonder Cornet (c. 1902)
Conn 22B Trumpet "Symphonic" (c. 1927)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kimmerz549

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's me again! Is a Getzen Renaissance Trumpet a good trumpet to get? Let me know! Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand it is a very good trumpet, but I have never played one myself. You may want to consider an Eterna 900S Classic which is a remake of the Eterna Severinsen. It also comes with a gold trim option. It was a great pro horn when it was introduced but is now considered an intermediate level horn, although in the upper brackets of that range. . Whatever you decide to try, make sure you play it first. That's the only way to really find out if that is the model for you.
Murph

1977 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
mouthpieces
Shilke 12B4, Shilke 12A4A, Shilke 13C4 , Bach 3C

[ This Message was edited by: murph66 on 2004-04-17 15:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: murph66 on 2004-04-18 10:02 ]
Getzenguy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you want it for. I play a Renaissance in concert band where I want a rich but bright sound, it projects well. For orchestral work I prefer something darker but it also depends on what the others in the section play. Mark
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say go for the Getzen. Just make sure you try it first. Otherwise Yamaha's aren't too bad. Try http://www.wwbw.com and you might find a Yamaha or a Bach...they may carry more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: