• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't laugh, but I just bought a Frumpet - UPDATE!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitripper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3717865472&category=16215&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

Ok - tell me what an idiot I am, but I figured for a $119 bucks, it was worth trying.

At least it will make a nice lamp?

[ This Message was edited by: bitripper on 2004-05-07 14:42 ]
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one in a pawn shop once. It didn't have a mouthpiece with it, and I didn't take a good look at the horn like I should have. I was just so pleased that I was buying a bass trumpet. Okay, you can laugh now..... jbqd
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $119 you can't go wrong. If you don't like it you can resell it on ebay. Who knows you may like it.

Mike
bitripper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE - I got the frumpet and have been playing it about a week now - this is the coolest thing!!

It is a blast to play and a very easy blow. hardly any resistance. Has been good exercise for 2 main reasons - takes a lot of lung power - get out of breath playing - and requires a more accurate embrochure control than the trumpets. I had heard that french horn players had loose lips - now I know what they are talking about!

I had read that these things play horribly out of tune, but I have found that most any tuning issues can be corrected with slight adjustments in the embrochure - another good practice when going back to my main horns.

In essence Its a lot of fun and I think I'll keep it!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought one last year, and like you said, they are a blast to play. My son messes with it from time to time, and says the intonation is actually better than the student line french horn he plays. Thought maybe I could transition him to the frumpet and reclaim my flugal, but he ain't buyin' it.....
bitripper

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same experience on mellophone (a Reynolds Contempora F and Eb). I've found that it's great to play it when my trumpet chops are very tired and even sore. When playing trumpet is a drag. It's like a bunch of high pedal tones you can have fun with. It records very well too. (BTW, it's the 3rd mellophone I've owned and the only one intune with itself high and low)

The problem in live situations is that my trumpet players physically energetic orientation makes me feel very insecure note-wise on the mellophone (are horn players more calm, centered people?) and while I'm playing mellophone I'm Not playing trumpet.

For 119.00 I think you made a great purchase.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2004-05-07 15:13 ]
kimmerz549

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone tell me what a Frumpet actually IS?? I have never heard of one!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pfrank: (are horn players more calm, centered people?)

A: No, that's not it,... they hear the notes in their heads but don't really care to know what comes out the bell...

A Frumpet is an unfortunate combination of a trumpet and french horn that plays in F. If one was 'raised' on Bb instruments, it is highly unlikely that one will be able to develop the correlation between the pitch and the fingering. Playing it in an ensemble by ear is impossible. I gave mine to our french horn player, and he hated it. I took it back and used to valves for another project.... jbqd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: