• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BE Newbie & Rollout thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carlos_knology

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the book from Bruce at Northern Brass yesterday. Read the entire thing in one sitting. As a side note, it was interesting to read that Jeff was in the Army band. I played for the 283d US Army Band for five years.

In any case, I went ahead and tried the double pedal tones. Oddly enough, I have been able to play double pedals for years. However, when I do, my lips are centered on the mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is not so high up as in Jeff's method. It was strange feeling my nose touching the top of the mouthpiece.

In any case, it took me about an hour to create a double pedal doing it Jeff's way. Most of the pedals are there (except for the bottom two) - the tone is somewhat weak but I just have to work on that.

For me, what worked was NOT tilting the horn up (maybe b/c I'm an upstream player?) but more importantly, I had to make a conscious effort to bring the mouth corners in. Regardless of horn position, without the mouth corners, it wasn't even close. The horn position just cleaned up the tone somewhat (it's still a bit airy).

It was very peculiar because when I play pedals using my "old" way, I don't really move the mouth corners towards the mouthpiece. I'm sure the mouth corner movement/placement is an important aspect of the "method".

Anyway, I know I need to be patient and just keep at it. It's a long road ahead. So far, it's going good. I just wanted to share my initial thoughts.

Carlos

[ This Message was edited by: carlos_knology on 2004-04-16 09:00 ]
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos,

You are on "the track" !

Keep experimenting and really try to get that raspy sound you can hear on the BE CD.

Btw, here is a photo I took a month ago of Jerry Callet:

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/articles/callet/pedal.jpg

Look at the forward position. You can not hear his sound, but it was very strong, focused and "raspy".

I have been doing BE for over two years and I now have that sound and forward look .

You will get there, and I'm pretty sure sooner than you think now!

Ole

[ This Message was edited by: oj on 2004-04-16 09:14 ]
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oj,
What's Jerry playing in your pic...and Olds trumpet!

BW

'80's Selmer Picc
Warburton GP #6 Series Pieces

[ This Message was edited by: maynard-46 on 2004-04-17 08:59 ]
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a 70 years old Olds Super that he modified.

Ole
mcamilleri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold that thought - the corners moving inwards is one very important effect of the double pedals. There are others also, but moving the corners inwards is a foreign concept to most trumpeters, expecially stretch/smile players

Michael
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: