• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Interesting Revelation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TPTXC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My teacher and I came to an interesting conclusion today during my lesson... I sound much better on my C trumpet than on my Bb. Everything is better, especially clarity of attack and articulation in general. In addition, my tone has more "life" and "sparkle." I just have a much "cleaner sound" according to my teacher. Why is this? I use the same mouthpiece on both horns, and have no intention or desire to change at this point... I think I have finally settled on the rim and cup that I like; the plain ol' Bach 1 1/4C.

Anyway, Is there any explanation to this revelation? He said next semester, we will start learning the solo rep. all on my C. He said he was the same way when he was a student.. He learned the rep. and played almost exclusively on C for his teacher. I'd love to hear any comments or thoughts on this.

Bach 1 1/4C, 24 throat
Curry 50m or 3c-Marching band, Jazz (rare to never)

[ This Message was edited by: TPTXC on 2004-04-20 22:51 ]
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need a slightly smaller mpc for your Bb (cup, or tighter throat, or tighter backbore, etc.). It's not unusual to need a different mpc for Bb and C. Another thing to consider, is the gap correct on your Bb? Try some other Bbs to see if some issues don't go away.

Dave
GR Tech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC is probably correct. It sounds like the mouthpiece you use is a better match on your C trumpet than the Bb. Usually, a different mouthpiece is usually required on the Bb vs. C trumpet for best results. There could also be other problems that may contribute to this phenomenon and that could be the gap. Have the gap measured on both horns by a qualified person. If the gap is less on the Bb an adjustment might help this situation.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a change in the mouthpiece worked wonders with my C trumpet playing (I was in the opposite situation, my Bb playing sounded great and my C was terrible), especially when I was able to get a new leadpipe from Dennis Najoom to go with it.
The trumpet section in Surrey Brass (with whom I play) have been experimenting a lot recently with different leadpipe setups on both Bb and C trumpets (thanks to Will Spencer, repairman extraordinaire!) and have come to the conclusion that whilst we all prefer slightly different setups, we have noticed that some pairings match each other very well, making the transition from Bb to C easier.
You may find that by altering the leadpipe on your Bb you could end up with a Bb trumpet that plays in a very similar manner to your C, which may suit your needs very nicely.

I am still hoping for a C trumpet that plays like my Bb, but for now I am happy with what I use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: