• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to test a horn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Next week I am gonna buy a NEW TRUMPET!
What do I have to look for ? I mean I am going to play those trumpets and I am sure I will fall in love with one, but, what should I check that can be bad in the long run,that I can miss when trying the horn? I also know that the rooms to test the horns are 'small-dead' I mean quite no resonnance ! How to deal with it?
Thanx everybody
Jice
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to play Honor Band tryout music on them as well as a couple concertos and etudes.

I first start out with a couple scales ... especially the horrid B (A concert) scale. That one is very out of tune off the bat. It plays halfway even from top to bottom, you are already in good shape. Pay attention to the blow at the top of the register versus the bottom. Play a chromatic scale as well to test this. Then perhaps a couple of lip slurs to see how the horn slots.

After all this, I get a tuner to see how far off the "normal" bad notes are. Low C# is always a mile off so don't let that one get you down.

Last but not least, I would go multiple days and try to have your audition between 2 or 3 horns. The winner will gradually reveal herself this way.

Another recommendation is having someone to go hear you as you play ... even a trumpet teacher or professor (ideal).
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bookmark this site:

http://www.dallasmusic.org/gearhead/

Some of the best stuff on the net, and Jim´s a great guy, too.

Martin
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jice-

There is some overlap between my comments and others'. I'm assuming we're talking about pro horns here.

Before you try out horns, do three things: play as many of your friends horns as you can, and learn how horns vary. How do they sound different? How do they play different? The point of this exercise is to gain some perspective and also to recognize that trumpet design is a series of tradeoffs. It's unlikely you will find a horn that is better than any other in every possible category; you'll have to prioritize.

The second is to look at the horn you have and decide what you do and do not like about it: what does it do well and how would you like your new horn to differ.

When you try out horns, keep a checklist of features you are interested in comparing: tone, intonation, whatever. Write down this list in advance.

The point of these exercises is to go into the horn audition with specific goals in mind and a plan on how to achieve them. For example, I recently played a few flugelhorns. While I compared many aspects of the horn, three ranked high in importance to me:

1. Tone: since this is one of the hardest things to change on a horn after the fact, it's got to be right the first time. Testing this is straightforward: long notes in all registers, plus careful listening for tone when testing other things.

2. Intonation: As suggested before, the B natural scale is notorious for being out of tune. I disagree with the comment of "don't worry about the C#", though. Instead, I would say "use the slides and triggers as you would normally". Audition the horn like you play it.

When I wrote my list of requirements down, having good intonation was important to me. Having great intonation was not that much more important. A small amount of lipping the pitch is acceptable to me: after all, you do that naturally playing in a section. A large amount was not.

3. ppp: I often need to play the horn very softly, so I tried to get at just the edge of sound for each horn and see how it felt, and how much control I had. So I did two octave scales at ppp varying the articulation to see how the horn responded. Then I did arpeggios and intervals, again at ppp.

Your list may be different from mine (I expect it will; my list for a trumpet looks different than mine for a flugelhorn) but that's not so important. What's important is that you have a list.

It's been suggested to bring someone else along. This is desirable. It's better if they are a trumpet player as well, because then they can not only tell you how the horn sounds, they can play it and let you decide which one you like better. It's better still if they are familiar with your playing.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned. Bring your old horn for comparison.

The advice of 2 or 3 horns per day is very good. If you're going to really test a horn, you've got to push it to its limits, and that means pushing yourself to your limits. There's only so much of that you can do.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Tom
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice so far. I really like Tom's suggestion about setting some priorities, like what do you hope this horn will do that your old one doesn't? BTW, what is your current horn?

How will the horn be used primarily? (Orchestra, wind ensemble, big band lead, etc.) That will influence your choice.

If you've got a favorite ditty, play that first. Don't get all analytical until you've narrowed your choices down to two or three horns. Let your emotions steer you to a degree. Trust your emotions first. How does it look, feel and sound overall to you. After you've narrowed the field, then you can begin the tedious work of detailed comparison. (It's draining so don't waste a bunch of energy on horns that don't really interest you).

Happy hunting,

Dave
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good responses thus far. I have a few other suggestions in addition to the others already given.

I'd bring a trumpet playing friend along to use another set of ears. Remember you will sound different from your end than on the bell end. Take someone that you trust to tell you which horn plays the best.

Besides bringing your normal trumpet to do a side-by-side test, be sure and bring your mouthpiece! I like to only change one variable at the time. So if I'm trumpet shopping I play the same mouthpiece I've been playing on all the trumpets I try out. Also, I always do a short warm up on my current trumpet before playing any others. Get what your sound in your head before you pick up another trumpet. It gives a starting place to compare.

How large of a music store are you going to? I had a friend go to Washington Music several years ago to find a Strad. The first thing he did was try out all the valves. If the valves we're smooth, he wouldn't even play it. While a "break in" period could help slugish valves, if the valves are already good you know they'l be good! I realize this doesn't help much if you are going to a small store.

Besides long tones, I'd do some flexibility studies. How do the different trumpets slot? You'll have to decide what kind of slotting you like.

I am picky about the D/Eb/E's near the top of the staff being flat. Just about all horns I've played are flat on that 5th partial, but some are flatter than others. I will play a 2nd space A (half note) and then slur up to a D (for the 5 > 1 cadential feel) to see how flat the D is. Then Bb > Eb and B > E in the same manner. Use a tuner and feel what horn makes you lip it up more. I don't worry about the low D's and Db's being sharp since that's what the 1st & 3rd valve slides are for. Same goes for high A.

Hope this helps,

Joe
jtrumpet1983

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good tips so far. I would like to add that be sure to do your normal warm up routine when you go to test out the horns. This will give you a good setup to evaluate a possible selection. Also, memorize some music. It may become easier to be connected with the music if it is really in your imagination. This will help you get into the center of the sound/music and hear the minor differeces in each horn. You should also play your full dynamic range, ppp-fff and see how each handles it. Loud, soft, short, connected, and accented articulation should also be tried. Take the horn into all registers too, and see how that works. If you have a buddy there make him give you a bilindfold test. That could narrow it down as well. Just have fun and play some music on it. The SOUND is always #1. Good luck!

Justin Mabrey
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is right - sometimes you just fall in love with a horn, and have to lead with your heart, not your head. But you can't count on that happening - just enjoy it if it does. Conversely, If you find a horn gets a high "score", but you don't like it and can't quite put your finger on why, don't buy it. Music is supposed to be fun.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Tom
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When trying new horns I ALWAYS warm-up on MY horn before touching the new ones. This gets my chops acclimated quicker and you then have something to compare the new ones to. Once I've narrowed my choices down I frequently go back to MY horn, again, to see if the new ones still impress me....or if they have the playing characteristics I'm looking for that my horn doesn't pocess.

BW
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check it out ...
http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=15225&forum=7

Matthew 25:31-46
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: