• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eb trumpets: versatility on 3-valve vs. 4-valve

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about buying a new Eb and I understand Schilke makes some great ones. I know you can get different bells since all the Eb's are tuning bell. I understand many people use a brigher bell for chamber and solo work and darker bell for orchestral. My question is: Would it be easier to darken a 3-valve or brighten 4-valve?

I know some people say the 4-valve models are too heavy to appropriately play say, the Haydn or the Hummel. I'm thinking that Eb's are plenty bright anyway and a lighter bell would be great on a 4-valve for solo and a heavier bell would work for when you're trying to sound like a bigger horn(Bb, C).

Would that be a wise choice? Any thoughts?
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to tag another (related, I promise!!) question onto his:
For orchestral playing does the 4th valve really help in terms of range/versatility? In other words, is it necessary to be able to play pieces on Eb that lie well for Eb but at times go too low?

Stuart
brad333
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You can use a 4 valve Eb in place of your larger Bb or C because a larger bell and the extra weight of the 4th valve can make it sound like a large trumpet. It's not uncommon to pick up an Eb for pieces in difficult registers or keys but the extra valve means you can(if you wish) play it for the entire piece because it gives you the range of a Bb trumpet.

My question is, would a 4-valve still be light nd bright enough(perhaps with an extra bell) to still play chamber music and lighter concertos?
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had both a 3 and 4-valve Schilke and I prefer the 4 valve with the smaller chamber bell for quintet and larger bell for orchestral playing. The intonation is a little dicer with the larger bell, but what a sound.... I believe the British orchestras use the E3L-4 a lot. For what it's worth, Yamaha now makes a 4-valve Eb, but I have no experience with it.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-04-27 20:54, benlewis wrote:
I believe the British orchestras use the E3L-4 a lot.

There definitely has been a trend to do this in the past. From what I have seen many of the players who did this are now back on Bb instruments for the majority of their playing, but still keep a 4 valved Eb in their case, for those pieces where it can really prove useful.

Most of the players who I have seen do this carry at least a couple of bells for it. Not just the bells it came with, but often a Bach C bell - one even used a Bach 72 - it became a real monster of an Eb!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: