• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

1960 Olds Super on eBay - your opinion?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
je-b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been considering getting an Olds horn for quite some time now.

Now there's an 1960s Super up for sale on eBay and I'd like to know what experiences you have with the 1960s Super line and whether this one could be worth the money:

1960 Olds Super on eBay

Thanks a lot for your help!
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great horns, Some players think they are the best Olds horns. Of course, others will argue that the Super Recording or Recording is are the best horns that Olds manufactured. The Super is a lightweight horn that is extremely responsive with a great tone. A really good brass technician can fix the bell wave or ripple.

$490 is not outrageous and would be reasonable for that horn. It would be nice if you could get it for around $400 instead of close to $500. If the valves are smooth and quick, the compression is still great and there is no other damage I would say go for it.

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-05-01 08:15 ]
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Super, and while it has some cosmetic issues (spotty lacquer), it plays and sounds great.
To me, Olds horns (I have also owned a Special and a couple of Ambassadors) have a slightly different blow than your average "Bachish" ML bore trumpet - somehow more open, but without taking more air, difficult to describe. You get used to it. Olds valves are legendary - fast, tight, reliable, near indestructible.
I´d say it´s a good price.

Martin
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Super is an outstanding horn. I find it slots a little more slippery than my heavy Recording. The Super is a .460 bore horn but it will feel a bit smaller. Great tone, very pretty to look at.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bell ripple is not an issue... dead easy for a techie to remove. I'd be a wee bit concerned about the mouthpiece, however. Those are some nasty plier marks on the m/p which indicates that the owner (present or past) didn't take the best of care with the horn. You'll be wanting to change that mouthpiece for sure.

Lovely looking instrument however.... I wouldn't be bashful about going after it (subject to a REASONABLE "top limit")
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to:

http://www.musictrader.com/olds.html

This would be a 1959 horn, still fairly early in the Fullerton years, relatively speaking, and probably still of the highest quality that Olds was famous for.

I have a 1940 Olds Super that keeps putting every other horn to shame (no matter how badly I want to love every other horn, incidentally) and it's quite probable that I'll never part with this horn. That's pretty hard for a bonafide trumpet junkie to say, by the way, but my Olds Super really is that good . . . for $490.00 that 1959 Olds Super is one that I'd also vote for you to hit Buy It Now.

If you do and you don't like the horn (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't), you can definitely recover the $490.00. It's worth far more, in my opinion.

Rich

Last edited by BeboppinFool on Tue May 01, 2012 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich is right on with this advice about those Olds Super horns. I just acquired one myself and am having a little work done on it as we speak. I owned one of these a zillion years ago and loved it. Now I'm back in the saddle with another and can't wait to play it regularly. Just buy the horn.

Oh, and tell the seller to dump the crappy mouthpiece. You don't want that thing bounching around in the case during shipment anyway.
Larry
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be really sneaky:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3720335025&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

That's an LA Olds Super that's been advertised poorly. If I had bread to burn, I'd snap that one up. Ten hours to go as of this writing.

Rich
Scootsky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry – Rich,
Back to trumpet talk! Great! Good Show!

Love you both,

The Scoots
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say I think I saw it and thought it looked better than some vintage trumpets...go back to E-Bay and see if it is still around
je-b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your help, guys. This truly is a great board!
I've just hit Buy It Now and I can hardly wait!

Now I need some recommandations concerning a perfectly matching mpc for this one. What mouthpiece experiences do you have with the Olds horns?
I have a gold-plated Monke mpc which I usually use with my Monke rotary concert trumpet. I'm very used to that one and it would certainly work as an interim solution, but on the other hand I'd certainly like to have one better fitting to the "jazzier" sound of an American-style horn.
Any hints?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know what you think of this horn if you decide to buy it.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ebaywatchlist/

Its a place where you can post suspicious ebay activity and review sellers performance.It is going well so far.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re: mouthpiece Only YOU can answer that one... based on testing some different pieces out and listening for the sounds YOU want to hear and the feel YOU want to feel.

Good luck.
alanbach
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had a good buy mate...have a look at this one and see how much the guy is asking for it!!
Somehow I don't think he'll get it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3721657385&rd=1
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I think you got a great deal, too.

You can pay so much for horns nowadays, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to get this much horn for that low a price anywhere.

Please, make sure you follow up here and let us know how you like the horn. Check in after a couple weeks, too, once the "honeymoon" period is over so we can find out if it passes the complete road test, alright?

Personally, I don't see how you can go wrong with that horn, especially since you've indicated you have commercial playing interests. My Olds Super is the bomb!

Rich
BeboppinFool

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3720335025&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

ended at $247.00. Man oh man, this guy got a great deal!

My 1940 Olds Super (in original condition, original case, satin silver finish) cost me $571.00 before I put some $$$ into the valves and other little things. I have app. $1100.00 into it, and it's worth every penny!

Rich
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely give us feedback on your horn. I always have liked the Olds Recording Trumpet because of its all around versatility. However, the first time I played a Super I was floored by its sound. I haven't played another Olds model that quite has a sound like that horn did.

Mike
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BebppinFool... I looked at that one very carefully and I think it was a bit beat up. Looked bent and damge to spit valve lever. Just not in great shape. I may be wrong, but I laid off. Meanwhile, about a month ago I bought a 1939 Super invery nice shape for just over $330. I may be on the way to becoming my favorite. It seems to have an incredible range from dark to bright. I like it a bunch.
je-b

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really glad and incredibly happy I bought that one. I've been running around all night with the broadest smile on my face. Just hope it will live up to my expectations, but I'm quite confident here.

Concerning the mpc issue you're most certainly right. I'll just give a try to a bunch of them as soon as the horn's arrived and then see what I like best.

Of course, I'll keep you informed about how I like the Olds. I just hope it won't take too long to arrive, as I live in Germany. But let's see...
je-b

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

the horn's arrived today: it really is in very fine condition (except for a few minor scratches) and has a tremendously big and huge sound. It's also very responsive and open. A pleasure to play in terms of intonation and responsiveness.

Yet, what troubles me a bit are the valves which unfortunately tend to retard a bit on their way back after being depressed for a while (on a longer note for example). I've already re-oiled all three and it grew a bit better afterwards - yet, it's still rather troublesome especially during passages of slow slurring.
Could this have to do with the springs inside the valves and do you think a good brass technician would have much trouble fixing this?

Thanks for your help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: