• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hakan Hardenberger or Maurice Andre daily practice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solotpt

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's been a while, but I wanted to get some more great information from you all again. I was wondering if anyone knows what Maurice Andre or Hakan Hardenberger did as early students to build their skills as trumpet artists. I know of some of the teachers they studied with, but I'm trying to distill what they learned. You know there is SO much material everyone says you need to know, so I'm trying to smoosh it into a coherent path. Also, out of curiosity, what does/did David Guerrier practice to get THAT good? Hey, thanks to you all again for your great information and love for the trumpet!

V
Forte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Well, from what I have been able to piece together, Maurice Andre was taught by the Farquin (spelling?) method. This is articulation drills at all dynamic levels. This was taught to Maurice Andre by his first trumpet teacher before he when to the Conservatory, who had studied under Farquin (spelling?). There has been some speculation that Farquin's (spelling?) method is/was incredible, but unfortunately, some of his prized students died in World War 1, so he did not get the recognition he deserved. Of course, there is no proof in that statement. Other than that, Maurice Andre practiced 8 hours a day and, and as I believe, developed his incredible embouchure through his articulation studies and constant practicing.

I do not know very much about Hakan Hardenberger but that he was a student of James Stamp.

Thanks,
Robert

Corrections; the following post by RGale is much more accurate than my previous post. I have no idea why I wrote World War 3 instead of 1.
-Thanks and Sorry

[ This Message was edited by: Forte on 2004-05-01 21:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Forte on 2004-05-01 21:43 ]
RGale
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The book Andre worked out of was written by Merri Franquin. I think the U of Iowa has a copy and you can get it on interlibrary loan, as I did. Interesting book. Or you can buy it, but it costs over $100. Most of Franquin's students were killed in WW1, and apparently he was very close to his students and it really made the poor man's life very unhappy indeed. Franquin's book has a lot about articulations and transposition. May even be worth the price, although why it has to cost so much is beyond me. It's not as large as the American Arban.
cbradwhitfield
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little more info about Hardenberger and his routine/warm-up and thoughts, check out this link. It is the transcript from a Hardenberger masterclass.

http://abel.hive.no/trumpet/hardenberger/

-Brad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: