• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chicago horn dealers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the best place, within an hour or so's driving distance from Chicago, to go to try out a LOT of different horns. Ideally nearly as much versatility as Woodwind and Brasswind but closer to here. Any suggestions?
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find a pretty good selection at International Music Supply in Des Plaines: Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, among others.

Nearby is Wayne Tenabe's Brass Bow in Arlington Heights where you'll be able to try a Phaeton and, possibly, a Chicago Brass Works horn or two. These are instruments designed by Wayne. (He also carries an impressive selection of used pro horns.)

A number of Chicago-area Sam Ash Stores have Conn, Bach, Yamaha, Martin, Kings and Getzens. The store in Lombard is well stocked and the brass manager, Brian Niebuhr, is a player and is savvy.

Not far away in Carol Stream is American Music Supply, which has a good selection of Bachs and Yamahas. The store frequently has sales.

Ellman Music in Naperville also carries major brands. Co-owner Pete Ellman is a fine trumpet player and knows instruments well.

You might check with the Schilke factory in Melrose Park to see if they still have horns to play test.

You may want to do some Web searching for exact addresses and phone numbers, then use Mapquest to get directions.

Happy hunting!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muchos gracias. I went to Schilke today, but battled through 45 minutes of really bad traffic only to discover them closed. I think I'll try again on a weekend.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also an American Music in Naperville, which is sort of a mini version of the Carol Stream store. They have more or less one of each item, but can arrange to get more in. (i.e. if you want to compare a Bach 37 with a 72, that's easy. If you want to compare six 37's, you have to make arrangements) Prices can be very, very good.

Also, there's Quinlan and Fabish in Willowbrook (or possibly Burr Ridge). They tend to cater more to school bands: lots of student and intermediate horns, and their pro line is Bach and Yamaha. Their real strength is sheet music.

Cheers,

Tom
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music Starts here in Des Plaines is really nice. A nice selection and terrific people to work with. Good prices too.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Music Starts Here and International Music Supply are one in the same at 681 Graceland in DesPlaines. Phone is (847) 827-0707.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Music Starts Here the store and then Internation Music Suppliers their catalog thing.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick-

I was at International Music Supply in Des Plaines today. They had exactly one horn in house, and that was already sold. While they can order a bewildering variety of horns, there wasn't much in the store.

Mouthpieces, on the other hand, are another story. Bachs and Schilkes of many sizes, Wicks, Curries, Laskeys...the list goes on. If you are planning on a mouthoiece safari, you need to go there. They even stock some unpopular sizes - I tried a Schilke 18C3d today (I normally play an 1.

Cheers,

Tom
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost let it slip my mind, Chicago Band and Orchestra. That place is great. If you want to try anything they have it. They also are the only Monette mouthpiece dealer in the area if you want to give those a whirl. In general there really arent that many places better.
V1-man

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you Chicago guys, I live a couple hours east of you. Can you post an address for Chicago Band and Orchestra? Thanks...Kevin
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinlan & Fabish is now located in Burr Ridge off an I-55 frontage road. Their web address is http://www.qandf.com . They do stock Yamaha Shew Lead mouthpieces and possibly the Jazz model too. As has been mentioned, they cater mostly to the school band programs, but Tom Fox who works there is an ace lead player and an incredibly nice guy. If you'd like to try out 20 Strads before you buy one, contact him and see if he'd be willing. Chances are, he'd be more than willing to help you out.
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4819 Main Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
(847) 673-3812
Fax: (847) 329-1116

Business Hours:
Monday - Wednesday, Friday: 10 AM to 6 PM CST
Thursday: 10 AM to 8 PM; Saturday:10 AM to 4 PM CST

-Jim

CHICAGO BAND AND ORCHESTRA...maybe i should say what they are before I post what will seem like random address.

[ This Message was edited by: pmkt16 on 2004-05-08 22:29 ]
TommySpanos918

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't that Evanston Band and Orchestra? Then they moved to Skokie. Aren't they also called the Saxophone shop? They're 6 blocks from my house, I don't like the place much, I get frustrated everytime I walk into that store. Their mouthpeice selection is minimal, they didn't even have a Bach 3C in stock last time I was there, I HAD to settle for a Benge 3C as my mouthpeice was stolen a day before our jazzband concert and I needed a 3C. They told me Benge and Bach 3C's are indentical, but the Benge 3C ruined my playing and I haven't been able to ressurect it to this day...

Anyways, don't expect much variety. They also try to sell you those B & S trumpets, those garbage horns. Even thinking of that place frustrates me...
oneeyedhobbit
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Band and Orchestra moved to Evanston, and I think they may have moved from there as well, too.

But to be honest, their horn selection was pitiful, when I stopped in. Only two Bachs and a Yammie in, though they offered to order for me. That, and the particular salesman I chatted with wasn't terribly friendly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago Band and Orchestra and Evanston Band and Orchestra were owned by the same people however recently they have relocated everything to what was their warehouse in skokie. As far as not having mouthpieces there I've never found that to be a problem at all because thats why I normally have gone there. I was able to try out 4 Monettes, a couple Storks, some laskeys, a solid sterling silver yamaha and then some, all in the sizes I was looking for, all at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: