• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is this Besson Kanstul made?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hornie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this selling at an online music shop and wondered how I would know if it's Kanstul made:

Besson Model 92BA Bb Trumpet USED

F. Besson "Marvin Stamm" model. The 'A' bell produces a clean sound with depth. Very focused and full. Bore is .462". Includes set of regular and weighted valve caps, valve cap spacers, monel valves.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I recall, these horns were made by Kanstul. You could call Dillon Music, in New Jersey, or email them. They will probably be able to confirn this since they used to sell them, and deal with Mr. Stamm directly on questions regarding the horns.

Pete
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a Kanstul era model number. HOWEVER, Kanstul does not make them anymore. I don't know if they changed the model numbers after that. One thing I recall, the name Kanstul used to be stamped somewhere on the horn, like on the second valve casing if it is a Kanstul horn.

Mike
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Kanstul made horns are stamped Kanstul.

I have a French Besson Classic/Najoom that was Kanstul made - I know because I contacted Kanstul and they confirmed the serial number as made by them. I also was assured by the selling dealer regarding Kanstul manufacture when I bought the horn, and I know the dealer knew. My horn has the serial number and the bore size on the second valve casing...

The description you give is for the Besson horns called New French Besson/Marvin Stamm. I am positive these were made by Kanstul.

Kanstul has made the New French Besson/Stamm, French Besson Classic/Najoom, and, I am pretty sure, a French Besson Meha.

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-05-04 15:14 ]
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH, do you know if they changed the model numbers or anything after Kanstul stopped making the horns? I don't know how one would find out if Boosey did anything like that when their agreement with Kanstul expired.

Thanks for the info about the Kanstul stamp. I had a Stamm model Bb for a while, but it has been several years now. I also had a Najoom FB Classic C but I traded it off when the news of the termination of the Kanstul relationship came out. I was probably too hasty on both counts, since they were still nice playing horns, but I had a chance to get my money out of both of them in good trades, so I did. Otherwise there was nothing wrong with the way they played.

Mike
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just email Kanstul with the model and s/n. They'll get back to you and tell you if it's theirs or not. They are really good that way... have fantastic after-sales service.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried posing this question to Boosey on the Besson (Music Group) website, but never received any reply.

I do not know if there are Bessons out there carrying these model names that were made after Kanstul.

I recently emailed the Kanstul factory with the serial number of my horn, as well as what make and model it is; i.e., French Besson Classic/Najoom, and received a very timely reply to the question I posed as to whether my horn was a Kanstul manufactured horn. The reply was "yes, it was." They also have a toll free number.

I also was assured by the selling dealer, in whom I have confidence as to knowledge and reliability, that these Bessons were Kanstul made. I bought this horn from Donovan Bankhead at Springfield Music, and I would say that he probably knows as much about this subject as anyone.

So, with all that, I am confident about my particular horn. And, I will say that I think I would be hard pressed to find any horn that performs any better anywhere near a similar price. Good, even, focused tone in all registers, very responsive in all registers, good intonation up and down the scale, good valves - it is a good performer. Unlikely to find a better buy for the money, IMO.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the contract with Kanstul ended but I haven't seen any of the New French Bessons - Marvin Stamm designed models made by anyone else. The last one I owned was made by Kanstul but it did not have their stamp on it. The Classic C trumpets were an incredible value. I think Stamm may still have a relationship with the Music Group but Najoom definitely does not.
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornie:
I have a Stamm with the exact same specs as the one you found (92 indicates .462 bore size). These were sold with two tuning slides (square and round), BTW. It does not have the Kanstul stamp, but it does say "U.S.A." somewhere (2nd valve casing, I think). It´s definitely made by Kanstul.
An excellent horn - just like Dave said.

Martin
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a lot of the Stamm and Najoom Bessons. Some with four digit, some with 5 digit, some with USA, some without. Never saw one with a Kanstul stamp. I had a F. Besson with a Kanstul stamp , but no French Besson. Marvin Stamm told me they were all made by Kanstul. He should know....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: