• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The sentimental horn...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeking comments to see of I am OK mentally...

I am going to purchase another horn soon. Not a new horn, but a vintage horn. I do not "need" it. I already have a good trumpet.

This is an emotional, sentimental, nostalgic purchase. What I have in mind is the make and model of trumpet that I started playing when I began to take the trumpet seriously many, many years ago - like nearly 38 years ago. It is the kind of horn that I grew up playing in high school in the late sixties. It is the kind of horn that I made many of my best, fondest musical memories playing. It was my first real, professional trumpet. It was there when many great things happened back years ago...And it was the horn that I foolishly sold years ago, not realizing what I was doing. I haven't played one for years now, and I am very anxious to get my hands on another one like it.

Simply put, I just want it around like I might want an old, close friend around. Purely nostalgia.

What do you think? Would anyone else be motivated like this? Or, should I wait for the next bus to the funny farm?

Even if you tell me to get on the bus, I'm still going to get this horn... :smile:

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2004-05-04 15:37 ]
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Schilke B5 out there that I am the original owner of. I saw it on Ebay a few months back.. but was not able to bid at the time. I know who bought it.. and I am watching it like a hawk... if I ever see it on Ebay again.. I will buy it back.. just to have for sentiment. It was the first professional horn my parents got for me.
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH,

A very understandable plan ... I've been considering doing a very similar thing. I've been considering getting a horn like the one I learned on, which was my dad's horn when he learned to play. My parents sold it in a garage sale when I was in college. The horn wasn't that great, but I still find myself wishing my parents hadn't gotten rid of it.

Secondary supporting evidence: my wife thinks this is a good idea!

Go for it!

Steve

PS -- If you happen to have a 1920's - 1930's vintage Couesnon Lafayette in decent condition, feel free to drop me a note ...

Matthew 25:31-46
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least you have a good reason for buying a vintage horn. i just bought another from Ebay and I'm seriously questioning my sanity too. Are there any programs out there for people like me? I think buying a horn for sentimental reasons is perfectly valid and understandable. There's a certain Thompson Center contender in .44 mag i sold in New Hampshire years ago for peanuts I wish I could get back.

Bob
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally realized, in 1979, that the Olds Recording I sold to a school mate in 1965 was a mistake I called him and tried to buy it back. After 3 attempts, and visiting him when in his home city, I realized that he'd never sell (he still played it). So... watched on eBay and ended up with another, same vintage, and I've never regretted that move.

As well, when a schoolmate who bought an Olds Mendez when I bought the Recording died, I asked the family if they'd sell me the horn, and they did.

Every horn is an emotional purchase, but vintage horns that bring back great memories are a prize!

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean you're only supposed to get stuff you need? Well it's all subjective. I need a ticket to New Orleans and as usual, when I arrive, I will need to go to Uglesich's or Cooter Browns and I will need to have a dozen raw oysters and later will need to see who's at Snug Harbor or the Maple Leaf. Nicholas Payton, young Christian Scott, the mighty Kermit Ruffins?

I also need to always have some fun. And, I need to be able to ask myself "If I don't get it now ( at age 59) when can I get it?" What the heck. Life's too short.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, do I ever understand how time seems to fly by...

I've got a birthday coming up in June that I do not want to even think about - it's age 53...not long ago I was 18...what happened?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it man.I still have my first trumpet that my dad gave me.Its a King Liberty.My dad just recently died which resolves me to keeping it even more.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supportlivejazz... be careful with those dozen raw oysters. I had a dozen last night and only 7 of them worked!
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 words: BE CAREFULL!!!
The story of how I got involved in collecting horns is this. I graduated highschool in 1965, in 1959 I got my 1st good horn for Christmas (I had already been playing 7 years) It was a Olds Mendez that I loved like only a kid can. well when I eventually started music school (NYU/NYCOM) I was odd man out,all the other guys played Selmers and Bachs with a Benge and a Conn thrown in here or there. Succumbing to this presssure to conform I unloaded the Mendez and bought a lg bore Mt Vernon Bach. For 30+ years I regretted that move and one night a few years ago stayed up until 5:am trying to locate a Mendez on the internet. (I had not so much as seen another one in all those years) Well the next day I had some students at my friends repair shop/ music store and when I showed up with bags under my eyes Bruce the owner tells me how bad I looked to which I explained I had been up all night looking for an Olds Mendez trumpet. With that he reaches under the counter and as soon as I glimpsed that rounded maroon case it was like Christmas 1959 all over again. Someones brother had died and the horn came in that morning!! A mint (on my site) Mendez!! Well I never was one to own a bunch of horns but this started me off. I started thinking back to All State Band and the Olds Opera that one of my section mates had and decided I needed one of those to keep my new Mendez company. Well that took 3 years to find (I refuse to buy retail!!) but along the way I acquired some 20 or so other Olds an Conn trumpets . Now my main interest is in vintage stuff.the earlier the better with some 40 or 50 horns in my current collection.
bdev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH....Buy it and don't look back. When you hold that horn in your hands and all the memories start to come back it won't be long before you forget how much you paid for it. Remember this...You never pay too much for a quality old trumpet....just too soon.
I started playing (1969) on an old Elkhart small bore student trumpet that was my fathers. He bought it new circa 1940. It's only worth about 50 bucks but I will be sending it to Steve Winans (Dr Valve) for a complete overhaul. It will cost a bundle...more than the horns worth but to me the horn is priceless. It's a horn that I will never sell. I'll pass it down to my son. I look at it as an investment in memories.
Reynolds Emperor Trumpet (1961)
Bach Strad 37 Trumpet
Holton 25 Cornet / Bach 6
MDT Morrison Trumpet (wind controller)
_Handballsteve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveH,

Your ok man. I recently bought a 1969 GP Bach 37. Besides wanting a great sounding Bach which this horn is, I was strongly motivated by the year as it was the year my older sister graduated HS. Those were happy times in my family. She died in a car accident the next year. The horn has special meaning to me. Do I play it with more feeling? You bet. That's my experience. Go for it.
Steve

1980 Yamaha 731 Fluegelhorn
1971 Schilke Picc. 3 valve
Curry 10.5DE

[ This Message was edited by: Handballsteve on 2004-05-04 20:37 ]
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first horn when I decided to play again after 30 years absence was a 1960s Olds Ambassador cornet because it matched my starter horn in fifth grade.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before some months i sold my first cornet a eterna 800s lb last week i see dreams playing that horn............ i have very good memories with that horn . found and buy your horn .

Regards
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the first top level trumpet I was given (a King Silver Flair) and have even been known to use it still in concert. The problem with is that it is showing signs of age and abuse (I got it when I was 12 and used it as my main weapon until I was 23). I have had patches put on, the lacquer is all over the place - generally it looks terrible. I recently had the chance to buy a similarly aged Silver Flair, but instead have put the money into getting mine looking and playing better than new.
It is currently with Will Spencer (repairer extraordinaire) and we are deciding what to do with it. He is redoing all the patches, getting the valves back to "as new" condition and then we start on the fun stuff - the replating!
It is not a rush job for him, so it will be a while bfore it is done, but when it is finished I will attempt to post pics.
Uberopa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

I hit 53 last January and I'm seeking a decent late 60's King Liberty on eBay. I have managed to find an Olds Ambassador and a Conn Constellation which were 2 of the other horns I played in high school. You are in great company!

Brian
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly understandable, and I would warn you about the perils of vintage horns, but Paul has already expressed it better than I could. Just know I have been doing the same thing, i.e. looking for a cornet similar to the one I started on, just can't bring myself to buy a Bundy......
jhaysom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who said you have to have a good reason to buy another horn? What a strange concept. You buy it because it's there!
Yamaha 8310ZS trumpet
Yamaha 6310ZS trumpet
Courtois flugel
1941 King Silvertone cornet
1941 King 2B valve trombone
Kanstul 920 piccolo
etc.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where my first horn is. Way back in 5th grade, my parents borrowed my first horn from my Uncle, who played in the Army band back in the 1950's. This horn was a New York Bach, #9xxx. Of course, I had no idea at the time what I was playing, and it needed an overhaul. But, my Uncle still has it, had it overhauled, and I keep offering him mucho dinero for it, telling him it needs to be played an apprecitated. He just smiles at me...........

I mean, he does not even play anymore!

Mike
textr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school(mid to late 60's)
my first horn was a Holton Stratodyne, which I still have.
But when I was a junior my Dad bought me a Leblanc
Sonic 707 (silver plated), it was a great horn , very lightweight,
a great lead horn.
I recently bought one on ebay which is the same vintage the only
difference is that this one is lacquered, but it is in very decent shape.
I plan to have Bob Reeves do a valve alignment on it.
And I will definetly have it silver plated.
I certainly do not need another trumpet (this one makes five)
BUT I've been looking for this horn for years, so YES I bought
it for sentimental reasons BUT the best part is that it is a great
playing horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: