• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

In YOUR opinion, what's the BEST all around used horn for un

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in there with the Olds Ambassador. I have a '49 and a '50 in almost perfect condition with excellent original vales. I am going to modify one, the 1950, but don't know whether to get a Pilczuk or Louisville leadpipe. I am looking for a more dark jazz combo sound, so I am leaning toward the Pilczuk. If any of y'all have compared the two modifications, please reply. Meanwhile, I paid less than $100 for each of these about three years back and would have under $500 in the one that I modify. I regularly choose the Ambassador over my other horns. I do have to say that I recently got an Olds Super 1939 for under $400 with great valves and in nice condition and it is a great playing horn. I find it has more range from dark to bright than the Ambassador. Anyway, any vintage Olds in really nice shape is great. I have had Specials and Studios and I did not like them as well as the Ambassador and the Super.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: