• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Special/New?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting an Olds Special that was made around 1950, but looks like maybe it was put away and never played. It will need to be lubed and prepped before I blow spit into it, and I'm trying to decide whether to order Hetman or BiNak for it, and if so, what weights have worked for other players on this age horn. Or should I try something else altogether? I would appreciate any other warnings or suggestions on starting over with owning a horn this old.

Now, where the heck is that photocopy stuff from Vincent Cichowicz?
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-05 15:21, oldblow wrote:
I'm getting an Olds Special that was made around 1950, but looks like maybe it was put away and never played. It will need to be lubed and prepped before I blow spit into it, and I'm trying to decide whether to order Hetman or BiNak for it, and if so, what weights have worked for other players on this age horn. Or should I try something else altogether? I would appreciate any other warnings or suggestions on starting over with owning a horn this old.

I use Holton valve oil on all my older horns (my "newest" horn is from 1953!) and feel that it's the best choice. It's the same formula that Holton developed about 100 years ago. Frank Holton was on the Sousa band with Herbert L. Clarke, and Clarke said that Frank was experimenting with valve oil formulae all the time.

After about 100 years of tried and true performance, I'd say that it has a track record that's hard to beat.

If you decide you don't like that Special, please let me know!

Thanks!

Rich
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich has a point and has become, if you can't tell, a big fan of Olds horns. I use Hetman lightweight and it is fine. I wouldn't recommend Binak for a variety of reasons. Hetman will mix with petroleum based oils and Binak will not. Zaja Blue is excellent as well. If not try the Holton oil. Most of the other oils are Johnny come lately in comparison to the Holton.

I second the comment by Rich. If you don't want it and he doesn't want it let let me know. The Special Model Trumpet was a real surprise to me. It was considered an intermediate trumpet by Olds. However, like the Ambassador it plays much better then any intermediate horn I've ever played. Of all the Olds horns I have played I felt the Special had the most round, warm, full tone of any horn. Mine sounded a little like a Bach.

Enjoy!

Mike

[ This Message was edited by: Trptbenge on 2004-05-05 16:25 ]
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the Hetman Classic #3 on my Olds Recording and have great results.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last bottle of Holton I had was from Dekalb Musician's Supply in 1963, when Baran let me have an Olds Recording on credit, with no money down, because I was a "regular" customer, having bought bass guitars, amps, and other stuff in there while "Lefty Chivak" (spelling?) was still alive. When I bought the trumpet, Lefty added his comment, "Great horn."

And given the response? I think that might be a good way to go. After all, I've smelled the stuff before!
_Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Hetman, works perfectly on my Olds collection. It came recommended by Ron Partsch from Toronto.

Olds Mendez, Recording, Super, Special & Ambassador trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds Opera, Ambassador Shepherds Crook cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds L-12 Flug/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Schilke MII trumpet/GR Butcher 65.6M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: