• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Repair of horn and community band questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWax

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm glad I stumbled accross this site. I'm a "comeback player" that put my horn down after high school. I was very serious about playing during high school and played first chair in the jazz band, concert band, regional all star bands, regional orchestras, etc... I did realize though that even though I was a great high school trumpet player, I would never be a great college, or professional trumpet player due to embachure, range, and endurance issues.

Anyways long story short after almost 10 years of playing my horn maybe once or twice a year max, I'm ready to pick it up again and be commited to regular practice and hopefully join a community band.

The thing is after ten years my horn isn't in the greatest shape. The tuning slide is stuck, the 1st & 3rd valve slides stick, the valves are decent, but could use some work. There are dings that I should have taken care of long ago and the finish doesn't look so hot anymore. I know I need to take it in for repair, but don't know where to go in the Metro Detroit area. If anyone knows a good instrument shop around here with a reputable repair staff, I would appreciate the reference.

Also, I want to join a community band and there are a couple good ones around here. Should I try to get my chops back into shape first, or just jump right in and maybe be satisfied with playing 3rd, or 4th part trumpet?

Again, I'm glad to find this site and appreciate any advise.
Still Trying
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you with a repair shop in your area. But I stayed away from trumpet for almost twenty-five years. In my case I didn't want to embarrass myself when I played in front of other players, so I practiced for a few months (8 or 9) before I joined a community band. It worked out well for me, because I did not know a soul in that band the first time I went. But after about a year of playing in the section, I now play lead chair, and have been invited to join a number of other groups. But I've seen trumpet players show up, who hadn't touched their horns for years until their first rehearsal. They eventually get back into the groove.

But I can tell you, it's the quality time you spend practicing at home that makes the difference. If the only practicing you do is during rehearsal, don't expect miracles. You always get out of something what you put into it, and that's as true for comeback players as for anyone else.

What do we have that we did not receive, and if we received it, why do we glory, as if we received it not?
_Japle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 35 years off the trumpet I bought one on a Friday and showed up at a community band rehearsal the next Wednesday. The problem with this approach is, you don't have any chops and will strain to play stuff you're not able to. You can develop some serious bad habits this way.
Work on correct form and the basics and correct form (!) for a while. Tell your section mates how long it's been and stick to the 3rd and 4th parts until they're pretty easy. Nearly everyone in a community band is a comeback player.

When you take your horn in, have them check the valve alignment. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be damn close.

Have fun.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JWax, Welcome to TH.

I don't know where you are in Metro-Detroit but there are several possibilties.

Royal Music in Royal Oak

Marshall Music
Anderson Music {both in Troy}

I'll try to get back with more but I'm running late to attend graduation exercises for a niece at Michigan State.

Once again Welcome,
Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2004-05-08 08:43 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to TH! Glad you picked up your horn again. I don't have any good tips on Detroit-area repair, but here's a great link to a zillion other things about trumpets that you may find interesting:

http://www.whc.net/rjones/brassrsc.html

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately get your trumpet in playing shape. Approach the director for your community band, and see who they suggest for private lessons, taking a few to work out the cobwebs and get the chops in shape can only help. And as long as your trumpet and mouthpiece are in good condition, save the new horn quest for later down the road.

I came back after 23 years, and have not followed my own advice, although I just learned I may be back in the Atlanta area working for a while and intend to take full advantage of some of the teachers in that area. And have fun! You will not be as good as you were when you put the horn in the case years ago, but there have been so many advances in teaching approaches since we quit playing, it is like being a kid in a candy store. You can be better than you were back then, in a relatively short period of time.
LeeC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JWax,

Here is what appears to me to be the first hurdle to jump, the potential negative inner thoughts:

"I did realize though that even though I was a great high school trumpet player, I would never be a great college, or professional trumpet player due to embouchure, range, and endurance issues".

First let's supplant these thoughts with something more positive. Something like:

I excelled in High School at the trumpet. It is great outlet for me. People liked my sound and were inspired by my playing. I enjoy the challenge and look forward to continued progress and success on the instrument."

Fix that thought in your mind by saying it at least two thousand times over the next few months.

No trumpet player is well served by negative thoughts.

After making the choice to start thinking more effectively, start playing louder almost ALL THE TIME. This takes some getting used to, but it is almost a must. It is my feeling that trumpet players have a performance personality. That personality MUST be extroverted and aggressive. If it isn't, the negative thoughts creep in and we may even quit. This "playing personality" doesn't have to be the same as your regular personality. In real life you could even be shy. It only matters how you approach the sound.

Negative thoughts are just a boogie man. Don't give them any power over you.

On this web-site you will find many different approaches and techniques. Sooner or later stuff will sink in and you'll get better range and endurance. That is a given. In the meantime: PLAY LOUDER.
beakj01

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! And best of luck with the comeback. I found myself in the same quandry: show up at rehearsal with little or no preparation after my layoff, or work at home awhile until some semblance of chops appeared. I chose the latter, and it worked better for me.

My layoff was a bit longer. I played in the high school dance band 1947-50. Then, I laid off for 52 years, picking it up again in the Summer of 2002, at the age of 70. A concert band was forming in my retirement community and I wanted to join.

I bought (and subsequently sold) a few horns on e-bay and discovered, for me, now, that a cornet seemed easier to blow than a trumpet. I tried over a dozen new horns and settled on the Schilke XA1.

Our band now has 80 members. Many of the players are retired military musicians, former professionals, retired music educators, and the like. Ages range from 50, to 84. I started in the 3rd section, now playing 2nd.

From my experience, getting the chops in some kind of order before showing up at a rehearsal is preferable. I can only hope you have as much fun as I'm having.

Jim
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beckj01, you are my hero!!! Coming back after that long off, and having the good sense to go to cornet as well!! Both my parents sing in the local church choir, and have a similar situation as yours. There are 40 members in their choir. 9 have doctorates in music, and 7 others made their living as either professional musicians or educators. There are 2 former soloists for the Mobile Opera in this last catagory. My mom is a retired medical technician, and my dad ran a service station, but both love it as much as anyone in the group.
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my story and take on your question. I have now been a comeback player for about 10 years. I quit after a year in college and did not play for several years. I bought a horn in 1974 but was never in any one place long enough to play consistently.

When I retired from the Navy in 1993 I took out my horn and joined a community band. This was a great way to get back into playing.

Suggestion, Make sure you horn is in good operating condition. It makes no sense to fight with your horn and try to come back. It will make the effort more difficult.

Don't worry about making a fool out of yourself. Its about making music. Enjoy the experience.

If you can get a teacher. I finally did and boy has it made a difference. I now have a framework for my practice and someone to help.

Good luck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: