• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

decisions......decisions........

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodfishe

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for anyone who has trouble with owning two or more trumpets and deciding which one to make the main playing one. just find one thing you like about your favorite one and build a case on that. for myself i like the valve action on my 1959 Olds Studio and the heavier weight and it also has sentimental value snce its the trumpet i learned on. I like my Bobby Shew and believe in Yamaha Quality but i just love the OLds valves. the Z doesn't sound as loud or as open in the higher register and i personally don't care about the ligtweight trumpets they feel more delicate and daintier in the hands "fragile" vintage horns for me have more character and less identical sounding to each other. the consistentcy may be a good thing but for me it could tend to add character to the horn to sound unique vintage horns have been time tested and although my Olds is 45 years old it still is on the road that must say something for vintage horns i think i have to go with the the dependable Olds not downplaying modern trumpets but it has a certain sound like old wine it mellows w age and "they don't make them like they used too" modern tehcnology cannot duplicate the aging process like do you like Ripple vintage 1998 or Cabernet Souveignon vntage1929. 50 year old scotch may be even better candy is dandy but liquor is quicker! I know why not keep or play them both but you only have one mouth right? peace
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly hope your music doesn't lack the punctuation of your writing.
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh comon Daff I cant possibly see where your comment is coming from as goodfishe has a very valid point I mean if you own two or more horns you would I hope do an extensive comparison and weigh the pros and cons of each which is not to say that you would abandon one or the other you know personally I own 5 horns but only my cornets are pairs meaning that my other 3 horns are a picc a flugel and a Bb and I plan on getting rid of my student model Yamaha cornet because my new Getzen 3850 Custom is so much better in comparison that there is no point in keeping it unless I want to give my daughter the opportunity to learn to play in a few years as she is only 4 now and while she likes to blow on it and make noise she is not ready to study if you know what I mean so that brings us back to the real issue which is that one should really get to know the horn they are playing and know the ins and outs of each and deal with any issues that might arise with the one they ultimately chose to be the main squeeze if you know what I mean and I think most of you do meaning that the main squeze is the main horn they play mainly.
https://www.coroflot.com/boofredlay
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZZZZZzzzzzzz...ptf ptf..harumphhh
James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAF: "ZZZZZzzzzzzz...ptf ptf..harumphhh"

Hey, I know that one... Its Sleep Apnea!! jbqd
iztegrab

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric I'm glad to see someone posting about this issue because I myself am looking to buy another horn but have one sitting here in it's case brand new in case something happens to my old one so I don't have any down time with my gigs but the new one I want to get is a different kind of horn so I am faced with the dilemma of do I sell the new one I have but don't use and use the money to buy the other horn I would use but I don't want to lose the one I have because if I lost the one it is designed to replace and I didn't have the backup It would be hard to find another one on short notice let alone be able to afford it without planning so trying to justify having two of the same horn while I need a different one too isn't easy to do especially if my income isn't where I'd like it to be because I haven't really had time to reestablish myself in the area yet as a player so not as many people call me for gigs as I'd like yet but I know it'll happen soon. peace
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the proper remedy.... THERAPY...get some.

[ This Message was edited by: Daff on 2004-05-08 11:44 ]
mheffernen5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-08 11:14, iztegrab wrote:
Hey Eric I'm glad to see someone posting about this issue because I myself am looking to buy another horn but have one sitting here in it's case brand new in case something happens to my old one so I don't have any down time with my gigs but the new one I want to get is a different kind of horn so I am faced with the dilemma of do I sell the new one I have but don't use and use the money to buy the other horn I would use but I don't want to lose the one I have because if I lost the one it is designed to replace and I didn't have the backup It would be hard to find another one on short notice let alone be able to afford it without planning so trying to justify having two of the same horn while I need a different one too isn't easy to do especially if my income isn't where I'd like it to be because I haven't really had time to reestablish myself in the area yet as a player so not as many people call me for gigs as I'd like yet but I know it'll happen soon. peace

You need a different trumpet? What kind is the other one? If you did sell it E-Bay is the place to go. I have seen limited edition Bach's go so high so fast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: