• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn Vintage one and Bach 43 question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying out many horns lately and I think I'm starting to narrow it down. I played several Conn V1's yesterday and compared them to my old Strad. It seems that the standard V1 (yellow brass) in silver has a brighter sound than the 37. That particular Conn seems to match up similarly to a Bach 43 that I tried in sound and response. Now, I understand that the 43 has a different (lightweight?) bell. Does anyone know if the "standard" Conn bell, even though it is not designated as such, is also lightweight?
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 43 just has a late flaring bell compared to the 37. The different flares are obvious when you look at the horns side by side. In my estimation it is a little brighter sounding than the V1 in yellow brass, though there is nothing wrong with the V1 yellow brass sound at all. The 43 comes lightweight or regular weight. My experience is that the 43 regular weight has a very pretty sound, but at the moment I am enjoying another model a little better, the 72*. The 43* (lightweight) was a little too bright for me, but a lot of people like it.

Mike
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conn's standard bell IS NOT light weight. The sound you're hearing is largely a function of the bell flare and brass alloy. Did you try the rose brass V1? Many people prefer that bell (I prefer the yellow). The various V1 leadpipes also have an impact on the sound, but less so than the bell materials and plating vs. lacquer.

Dave
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I really do like the Conn V1 yellow brass version. However, I have a certain "loyalty" to Bach and was hoping to find one that plays as well as the Conn. Unfortunately, that has not happened yet. I know that the Conn Vintage series is not the Conn of old, but I still wonder about the long term durability. I had heard that the valve weights can reduce the brightness of a horn. Is this true? Are there any additional benefits to the valve weights?
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "valve weights" I assume you mean weighted bottom valve caps. These don't have a big impact on tone they do improve "focus" slightly. The main difference you'll notice is that the slotting will become more deliberate and less flexible as you add the weights. Start with one on the 3d valve, then the 2d then all three. Pick the combination that works for you. (There obviously are other combinations, but the 3d valve seems to have the most impact).

The rounded main tuning slide will "broaden" the tone a little, reducing "focus" and making the slotting more flexible and less rigid. The reverse leadpipe option with the squared slide is between these, but gets even looser with the rounded, reverse slide.

You might really need to consider a silver plated rose brass if you want a little darker or lacquer if you want much darker? Gold plate is my favorite, with the yellow brass.

Dave
JOEG

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bach 43 Bell is not lightweight unless stamped with a "star." The stamp can be seen on the bell near the lettering.

The Conn VI is not a lighweight bell. If you are looking for a darker tone from the V1, try the red brass (R) bell. This horn is preferred by many players.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the rosebrass V1 and prefer the horn without the weighted bottom caps. It's plenty rich without them. I am however torn between the D tuning slide and the round one. The D seems more natural to the blow of the horn, but the round one opens it up nicely. I interchange them based on my mood.
trumpetertom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing up the 43 bell issue. Would both the Conn V1 in yellow brass and the Bach 43 "standard" weight have similar brightness and response?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a elkhart 43 strad ml.

I have tried several conn vintage 1 out and was most impressed in how well this horn matched my 43 and surpassed it.

The v-1 in yellow brass SP and the Bach 43 have the same tone but the notes are more centered and balanced over a long range of notes.
bgwbold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played several 43s but only one V1 in yellow brass. Seems like the 43 is a little brighter to me. I would expect the V1 to be good an all round horn and a little less edgy sounding than the 43. I play on a fairly shallow mouthpiece, and wonder if a person would be able to tell as much of a difference if his regular piece was deeper than mine.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: