• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Think this is a First

View previous topic :: View next topic  
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's the first Eclipse I've seen on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16214&item=3723394583&rd=1

Someone will enjoy.

Mark
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's the second Eclipse on Ebay. Here's the first:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3722832270&category=16214&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct, Ed...it's mine...& it's a GREAT playing horn!. Would make a fantastic companion for your MR!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch - out of interest, why are you selling it?

Jack.
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So one of you lucky Yanks can get two near new Eclipse's for less than the price of one of those M things, seems like a bargin to me:)

Like Jack I'm wondering why you guys are selling though, don't say anything bad though it's been a tough day at work and I don't want my dreams shattered

Mark
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch... if you like your B1L and you found that the LR was just "too big" for you, I most highly recommend going with the Medium Red. The blow is darn near identical to the B1 but the sound is..... "just what you'd expect". I think that Noel nailed it dead on when he described the bell sound on the website. The horn is a bit heavier than the B1... probably quite similar to a 180ML37. The sound is quite "rich" but brightens up a lot when pushed. It's the low/middle range where it really shines for me however. There is a core or presence there that isn't in the B1 (although I could probably "fake it" with a deeper mp.... you'll notice I am using the same mouthpiece on both horns at the moment... until I decide if that's what I'll stay with then I'll get a second one gold plated to match the horn). So far I've been able to use the same mutes with both horns in spite of the difference in bell size although I'll admit that I have to "slide the cup in" when using the Denis Wick adjustable cup mute on the MR. It stays in tune though so I reckon I'm lucky that I don't have to buy another set of mutes or recork the existing ones.

The valves are obviously "not an issue".... mine were broken in within a week (in fact it's been exactly one week today since I received the MR).

'Fraid I don't need a second one however! As it is I'm trying to decide whether to keep the B1 or sell it; so far the vote is to keep it... makes a great backup horn and I'm sure that I'll find situations where I want to use something lighter and a 'bit' more flexible (or to take with me when perhaps "security" isn't quite as guaranteed as I'd like). I guess one of these days I'll have to record some clips using each and do an A-B comparison with them; could be an interesting exercise!
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's me selling the Eclipse Equinox.

Get it while it's hot... er, not that I mean it's stolen or anything like that!
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackD,
ChecK my auction description. I just added to it because one of the email questions that I have been getting is..."why are you selling"? I think my description on the auction site answers it pretty well! IT is a great horn..just not suited to me.

ED- I'm glad that you like your MR. I've played 3-4 Eclipse trumpets and I can honestly say that there wasn't a bad one in the bunch! It just comes down to individual preference. Leigh and his crew (of one!) do outstanding, quality work!!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butch, I know what you mean - I felt the Large Red was a bit too big for me as well.

Beautiful trumpets though.

Jack.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch... the reason that the Eclipse feels more "balanced" is because of the relocation of the additional material involved in the tuning bits being moved "behind" the valves rather than out front. I agree... it makes a really nice difference to the horn... much more balanced than a Bach and very similar to a Schilke but with the additional weight to make it feel "more substantial" in your hands. At the same time, however, that additional weight doesn't seem to affect how tightly it slots.... I find mine very much like a Schilke in that regard... "highly accurate but not overly tight"... perhaps the leadpipe design allows it to resonate with a little less "resistance" and not "lock in" quite so much as a "traditional" standardweight horn. Whatever... it's a really nice feeling.

I asked Noel, Bruce and Leigh individually for a recommendation for the bell that would "feel and play like a Schilke but sound like a Bach (180ML37)". They all said the same thing (Medium Red) and boy, were they ever right.
Freddieh.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they bullet proofed ? Is it one of the Eclipses that were in the Iraq ?

[ This Message was edited by: freddieh. on 2004-05-11 03:07 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there are more than just one Eclipse in Iraq. I think that the whole section from the 1st Div. band has purchased them (maybe more than one in some instances?).
FreshBrewed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently 2 Eclipses in the desert. I have mine here in Germany and I clean and play Gary's for him while he's gone. That reminds me, I need to go get Rob's from his wife and clean and play it too. Man am I being spoiled right now with 3 at the house and needing to pick up another one. Gary, if you read this, the Banshee is in good hands. I'll be giving them back to Nina in a few days. The others are a MHY(mine) and a MR(Gary's). Not sure what Rob's is but I'll find out if and when I pick it up.

Those who roll up their sleeves rarely lose their shirts!

Eclipse MHY Bell- Savannah Finish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: