• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

why is it that some american eBay sellers won't ship worldwi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If often see at eBay advertisements "will ship to United States only".

I don't get it, you have more buyers if you sell worldwide, so you will get more money probably. There is no risc in selling to anyone if you send the horn after getting the money so why is it, just protecting the market or something else ?
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind selling to people internationally... but there is a little more involved. The shipping is a lot more and as long as the buyer is willing to pay it, then I have no problem selling internationally. I also make the buyer wait until the funds completely clear his/her account.... this usually takes the longest.. usually 7 business days. You also have to fill out a custom's form... and a lot of times the buyer will tell you to say that the horn is worth much much less than it actually is to avoid taxes... which could prove costly if you only insure it for a fraction of what it is actually worth.

[ This Message was edited by: fuzzyjon79 on 2004-05-10 12:29 ]
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several times but generally don't like to. It is extremely expensive and it is very difficult to get buyers to realize this and pay the extra fees involved.

It also requires a lot more time in filling out claims forms at the post office.

I once sold an Early Elkhart with my normal $27.50 and a foreign buyer ended up winning it with my shipping terms clearly stating that I ship to the Continental US. The buyer was very helpful though and gladly paid the extra fees. However, it did cost me near $55 to ship it to him.

Is someone is selling high volumes of products, it seems that it would be very inconvenient and time-consuming. Otherwise, it's really nothing more than a form and some extra shipping fees that you have to collect up front.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veldkamp:

When are you going to sell me that Gold Plated Mt. Vernon?

We can demonstrate the international shipping for everyone this way!

HAHAH!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it's more paper work, more involved and because it's harder to chase someone 3000 mi away. I always accomodate overseas buyers however.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jophst, I can gold plate my other Bachs and send them to you for a fair price

I probably will not find such a good horn again like my Bach Mt.V gold finish, I'm trying though....

I have a nice adress for some golden Mt.Vernons

Bach New York L25 #3197 silver finish
Bach Mt. Vernon ML37 #20806 laquered
Bach Mt. Vernon ML37 #30017 gold finish
Bach New York, Mercedes M #5897 raw brass

[ This Message was edited by: veldkamp on 2004-05-10 12:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: veldkamp on 2004-05-10 12:41 ]
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more interesting for Europian buyers nowadays with the cheap dollar. I have to pay 25% extra in total if I buy something from America but with this currency it's almost 1 on 1 so $1000,- cost me 1000,- euro.

My point is, yes it is more work for you guys but you could also get more money out of it because most buyers live outside America !
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know the feeling ... if you do happen to get lucky and find another awesome player, feel free to look me up as a potential buyer of the 30***!

You'll pay shipping though!
runegp

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once offered the seller a $100 bonus if would send to Norway...the answer...nope:-)

I have bought lots of trumpets from the US, and I am very satisfied. There is however one thing that amuses me. Some sellers use 5 words to describe the item, and 1000 words to describe payment, shipping, refund......

By the way..I need a leadpipe to an Holton Collegiate #375150. A very cheap one:-)
Thank`s for a great forum
Rune
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of why I've given up sending stuff abroad:

My fiancee currently lives in Norway, I live in the US (this is changing soon, so don't cry). I decided to ship her my digital camera, worth about $500. I went to the Post Office, and when I tried to send it with insurance ($500), they said Norway doesn't accept insurance on anything except Global Express mail, which cost about $34. So I did that, figuring, at least she'll get it quickly, and I'll recoup the money if anything happens.

It got to Norway after 3 days... and then sat in the customs office for nearly a week. And she had to pay 1,000 NOK (about $145) to get the camera because of the claimed value. Thankfully, she'll get this back, but only when I go over there and come back, taking the camera with me.

I was not willing to send the camera without insurance... but this was not worth it. If someone had told me all that would happen before I sent it, I would have simply waited and given it to her a month later when I saw her in person.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you sell on eBay that's not your problem, it's the buyers problem.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sell my Eclipse Equinox overseas but only if someone contacted me first we had a clear understanding--and if the buyer would be willing to pay for a method of shipping (UPS or FedEx) that has tracking info on the horn. It might well cost $200 or more.

I once sold a Yamaha "Vax" to a guy in Spain USPS Priority, air mail and the friendly (at least he didn't seem psychotic at the time) postal clerk said it "ought" to get to Spain in about 2 weeks. After FIVE weeks it still hadn't made it, and the guy in Spain is wondering where the heck it is, and I'm wondering if he's on the level, etc.... a very touchy situation.

Luckily it showed up after 6 weeks. This scared the heck out of me because if it had indeed been lost it still would have been like pulling teeth trying to get any insurance back. Insurance only goes so high too. After this experience I figure, probably like many others, that it just isn't worth the potential frustration.

But... if someone was willing to pay for FedEx I suppose it would be OK, but it still depends on what country. FedEx and UPS don't go to EVERY country... so again you see the can of worms there when it comes to trying to explain all these considerations when selling an item.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On high end horns I will do it. But, I specify that the bidder must contact me before placing a bid. I take only Paypal payment or a money order or cashiers check drawn on an American Bank only. I also specify that there is no return, all sales final. The paper work for the USPS Air Express mail is not huge and if the seller asks, I will value it at whatever amount he asks, but insure it for that amount only. I don't agree that most buyers are outside the US by any means. I also only do this on horns that are deemed desireable in the world market. Occasionally, although I specify that I will sell in the US, I get a request from Europe or Japan. As long as we agree on the terms, I will sell to that bidder, but no returns. The "drawn on a US bank only" is very important as there can be a lengthy wait and a fee of up to $25 to cash a money order from a foreign bank... even an "international" money order.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only purchased "international", two horns from the USA and one (obviously) from England. I've also shipped a horn to England for repairwork.

My experience with EBAY is that if you contact a vendor in the USA who lists "USA ONLY", give them notice of your interest in their sale, ask them to check your feedback, and maybe recommend a shipping method and your agreement to pay the shipping fees (these aren't "inconsiderable" but there is a way around that if you live within driving distance of the US/Canada border), they'll generally agree to accept your bid. It really helps if you "know" the vendor from either a) previous transactions or b) "personal" experience (such as having traded stories with them through forums such as this or Trumpetmaster).

It is correct, however, that international courier or shipping can be "considerable". Couriers add on their "international service" fee which sometimes (but not always) includes brokerage. Shipping "surface" is never recommended... the best "deal" I could get from Canada to GB was 8 WEEKS with NO tracing, NO insurance, and NO guarantee! I elected to pay 2.5X as much for a 6 day guarantee WITH online tracing and insurance included. The story about the return shipment is an epic worth checking out over on TrumpetMaster.com! http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1874

My recommendation for "to/from" Canada - USA is for the party closest to the border to drive across, doing personal clearance at customs, then ship out of the closest UPS or whichever warehouse to the border point. That way the shipment is essentially "inside country".

Overseas is a whole other "ball o' wax" and I can rightly understand the hesitation (compounded by concerns over the honesty of either of the parties) to "overseas deals".

Smaller packages such as mouthpieces, mutes, etc. are best handled by "regular" mail, in my opinion.... I've had a mouthpiece arrive from Switzerland in as little as 6 days! My recommendation here is to pay the extra fee for the highest "quality" of service you can get... generally it'll be less expensive in the long run since brokerage fees are already included. Still, you have to do your research or expect some $urpri$e$!
Big Phat Jan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone said earlier that taxes are the buyer's problem. Well... (direct from ebay) :

Quote:
As an online marketplace, eBay leaves the decision to the seller as to whether and how VAT should be charged on an item. eBay however does require the seller to adhere to all applicable VAT laws and regulations in listing an item on http://www.eBay.co.uk.

Also, in the item description, the seller should set out clearly the amount or percentage of VAT that will be charged.

If there is no mention of VAT in the item description, the seller should not add VAT to the final item price. In such a case, if VAT is legally due, the seller bears the responsibility of paying that VATto the appropriate authorities according to any applicable laws and regulations. Again, if there is any question as to the seller’s VAT responsibilities, the seller should consult an independent tax advisor and/or local tax authority.

I'm not sure whether this only applies to UK sellers selling new items, or if it extends to overseas sellers... I can see how it could prove difficult to resolve either way.

On the other hand, I seem to recall reading somewhere that some Americans are less than happy with their economy at the moment. Increasing exports can only help...

Jan.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Canada there is a sneaky little tax that is our equivalent to "VAT". It is called "GST" (which means "Goods and Services Tax"). 7%, payable BY THE PURCHASER!. So if you import a horn (or mouthpiece or anything else INCLUDING "repair services") expect to have to pay 7% before the item will clear Customs.... WHETHER OR NOT there is "Import Duty" also owing on the item.

I agree completely... make sure that buyer AND seller communicate ahead of time and sort out who is responsible for what.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sell a fair amount of horns on E-Bay and for me the extra trouble is just not worth shipping the horn overseas. UPS comes right to my door. No Post Office trips (aren't those always fun!!) and time out of the shop. I have not noticed enough of an advantage price wise to offset the extra time and trouble.

Scott
I_Wanna_Scream

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a UK buyer who regularly buys from the US I have had no problems with shippers so far. If the item says US only and I really do want to bid I write a polite mail to the seller explaining I know the costs involved and for the most part go with USPS 7-10 day delivery (usually it take a little longer but....). One expensive horn I agreed with the seller to pay the extra and have it sent UPS.

I have had a couple of very direct rejections to my request to sell overseas and I just respect it.

If you can communicate and show willing to the seller then most are willing to sell overseas.

Graham

Too many eBay horns to list
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... the mailman just dropped off the "invoice" for the GST, courier fees, etc. for my recent import. Guess what? They didn't charge me GST on the repair service so now I'm sitting on a little 'credit' with Purolator! (or maybe my letter of complaint hit their doorstop already?).

Take the money and run!
heavyharmonies
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm encountering the opposite problem: shipping horns from Europe to the U.S. is unGodly expensive, especially from the United Kingdom. The main carrier that UK sellers seem to use, Parcelforce, is incredibly overpriced (even economy notwithstanding) and incompetent to boot. I'm still awaiting a soprano cornet that I paid US$75 to have shipped airmail 45 days ago. The seller sent me photographs of the paperwork as well as the insurance and tracking numbers, so it's not the seller's fault. He paid for insured airmail, and somehow the horn was sent surface... after sitting in their sorting system for half a month. Parcelforce does not respond to any email inquiries regarding shipments "in progress".

I just won another horn in the UK 2 weeks ago (before I found out all of the information about Parcelforce). The seller of this new auction says that Parcelforce is pretty much the only option. Any non-surface insured option is going to run me $100-150 to ship the horn. Not worth it for a $250 horn. Had I known shipping costs would be that high, I wouldn't have bid. At the risk of receiving a negative feedback, I've decided to back out of the auction; I offered to make up any difference between my bid and that of the underbidder, and in the event that the underbidder does not want the horn, I said I would pay all of the seller's listing and final value fees on the auction so he's not out any money. Hopefully that's satisfactory for him...

Lesson learned; I won't be bidding on anything from the UK ever again...

-Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: