• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First note in 39 years!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you whiners of 7, 14, or 18 years, I just played my first notes on a horn I own since 39 years ago. In 1963, I bought an Olds Recording from Dekalb Music Supply in Decatur, GA. I sold it in 1965, before going into the Marines.

Today, my "new" Olds Special arrived, and I've played a few notes. The worst surprise was that my tone didn't match my "muscle memory" of where the notes would be. After a few minutes of playing, some of that began to go away. But, I realized that I have a lot of work to do on my embochure, since I first began playing French Horn in 1954. Oh well.

The "new" Olds Special sports no dents, no dings, and only wear to the pinkie finger and a small amount to the third valve ring. A little wear shows on the bottoms of the valve caps.

Apparently, a student's parents bought this horn, then stored it after the student quit band about half way through the year. The lacqour is a golden honey color, like old furniture, and according to the serial number, dates from 1949/50. (My years!)

But the point is that I am thrilled to be playing again, and whether or not I ever qualify for trying out one one the "super-horns" currently available, is a problematic situation for after a lots of practice.

Then my wife asked the fatal question: if this horn is so perfect and so old, why are you playing it?

Ah!! Do I get into the Wild Thing mode??

Naw, not yet.

Felton B
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!

Welcome back to the playing world, and enjoy your Olds! I think you're in one of the most exciting (and frustrating) parts of your comeback -- with daily work, you'll be able to hear yourself improve! (Those nasty plateus where you work and work but never seem to improve will come later, but it's also joyous to overcome them.)

Wait at least a few weeks before getting the Wild Thing ... or the Eclipse ...

Matthew 25:31-46
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club! As you continue your journey back, you may be comforted by a thought that has occurred to me more than once: the worst note I play today will be better than any the musicians I admire most will play because they're all dead and I'm not.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
beakj01

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha beat, Oldblow. My lay-off was 52 years, getting back into it in July 2002. It's almost two years now, and I'm considerably ahead of where I was when I put the horn away in 1950. I know it will be the same for you. The lip doesn't come back in warp speed, but it does strengthen quickly. Good luck - and take it from someone who's recently been there: you're going to have MAJOR fun again !
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, Oldblow! And by the way, your Olds Super really is a "superhorn." The cost of making horns in today's market to the standards of yesterday's hand-craftmanship is what makes the "superhorns" of today so expensive. There may be those who disagree with me, but the proof is in the pudding...people aren't still seeking out these wonderful vintage horns because they are inferior. You likely have all the horn you will ever need!

Have fun!

Paul Poovey
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and greetings to EVERYONE who replied to my post! I honestly just felt wonderful about playing again, and your enthusiasm will certainly help me practice. (I forgot about the practice part of playing during the entervening years.) There was an old Rubank method book in the case, and I am looking at it with new-found respect, especially the last half of it.

And thanks for the horn encouragement. I might not need a more expensive horn, but I might be the other bidder on an Ambassador for practice purposes. The Special I got seems to have original lacquer, no wear, and I am a little leary about putting any wear or fingerprints on it. Of course, I would like another Recording, but one of those from LA will come with time.

This forum is wonderful. It is a great place to express things that strangers can understand and that wives will never know! And I'm not "shamebed" at all about not being the oldest "combacker."
conemaugh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
Ok you whiners of 7, 14, or 18 years, I just played my first notes on a horn I own since 39 years ago. In 1963, I bought an Olds Recording from Dekalb Music Supply in Decatur, GA. I sold it in 1965, before going into the Marines.

Today, my "new" Olds Special arrived, and I've played a few notes. The worst surprise was that my tone didn't match my "muscle memory" of where the notes would be. After a few minutes of playing, some of that began to go away. But, I realized that I have a lot of work to do on my embochure, since I first began playing French Horn in 1954. Oh well.

The "new" Olds Special sports no dents, no dings, and only wear to the pinkie finger and a small amount to the third valve ring. A little wear shows on the bottoms of the valve caps.

Apparently, a student's parents bought this horn, then stored it after the student quit band about half way through the year. The lacqour is a golden honey color, like old furniture, and according to the serial number, dates from 1949/50. (My years!)

But the point is that I am thrilled to be playing again, and whether or not I ever qualify for trying out one one the "super-horns" currently available, is a problematic situation for after a lots of practice.

Then my wife asked the fatal question: if this horn is so perfect and so old, why are you playing it?

Ah!! Do I get into the Wild Thing mode??

Naw, not yet.

Felton B

Felton,

I hear ya. After 40+ years, I got the bug to play the trumpet again. My wife thinks I'm trying to relive my childhood... I started playing in the third grade. My parents purchased an "old craftsman" trumpet from a mail order house (Spiegel). Although the trumpet was not of the best quality, it got me seats in county, district and state bands and a spot in the Penn State Blue Band. Now, 40+ years later I'm making up for playing on below average equipment by purchasing a professional grade trumpet. Why? Because I can afford to. Besides, when I was young, it was my abilities that made sweet music -- now its the trumpets turn...
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble opinion, you already have a super horn.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh! beakj01 beat me by 2 years. I thought I had the record at 50 years. It does my old heart good to see all the folks coming back. I too am better than when I quit at 15 but it has taken me a year to get there. Upper range can take some time for some of us. I can only make it to D and need to strengthen both C & D.

The equipment safari can cost you some bucks. Unless you are a collector, go ahead and play that horn and don't worry about fingerprints etc.. The main thing is to play and enjoy. Yes, do exercises, but play the music you enjoy right from the get go. Get some playalong stuff. It's a great motivator. Lessons? Could help to keep from developing bad habits and make your practice time more productive.
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to meet you Oldblow--and I love the handle!!!! I think after suustantial layoffs, playing again is like hooking back up with an old friend. It really takes you back, doesn't it?

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
maeissin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shastastan wrote:

The equipment safari can cost you some bucks. Unless you are a collector, go ahead and play that horn and don't worry about fingerprints etc.. The main thing is to play and enjoy. Yes, do exercises, but play the music you enjoy right from the get go. Get some playalong stuff. It's a great motivator. Lessons? Could help to keep from developing bad habits and make your practice time more productive.

You can overcome the fingerprints with a valve guard and or (my second favorite) using an old diaper to hold the horn -- a handkerchief will do, but they're a bit slicker than the diaper. Fingerprints just prove you've been workin' it.

After a 30+yr layoff, I've got to say that Stan's given some great advice. I've been doing the playalong stuff, some of the old drills and I've been enjoying my "comeback".

I've even started collecting different arrangements (combo orks, etc.) so that when my 10-yr-old and I both get better we can find some stuff to play, together.

Make it fun and you'll improve. I know I'm not back to where I was when I crushed my upper jaw in an auto accident, in 1973, but after just a few months, I'm actually starting to enjoy the way I sound (on some tunes) and know I still have a LOT of work to do (still having some trouble with slotting and, although my range is back up to C, it starts to drop with fatigue after 25-30 minutes -- it'll just take more practice and time, to build up those muscles).

The playalong CD's are wonderful. I even us my kid's Disney one, from time to time, and I've transposed some tunes that we had CD's for that came with some guitar books -- just to increase the variety of tracks available. It's not the same as playing with others, but it beats struggling, alone. Great for pushing you when you want to back off, a bit, too (or just play the fun or easy parts of a tune).

=============
1972 Yamaha 734
1950s Olds Ambassador Cornet
1930s Pan American Baritone
1930s Pan American Mellophone
Jean Baptise Soprano Trombone
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should chim in as my horn sat in the case for 29 years. I played for three years in college but dropped out to concentrate on my studies. I got the horn out last September and started playing. Pretty rough at first but I am coming along quite nicely. I am fortunate in that I was able to join a university band, and did so in January - only last month. We have rehersal Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. Our university band played for a Presbyterian church on Sunday, and last night played for a Melanoma Awareness/Benefit fundraiser.

My practice routine consists of getting out the Arbans and playing scales, playing scales, and playing more scales. I've been told that there are a lot of opportunities for playing around town during the summer, plus I am going to start playing in my church. We have some very good musicians who play and sing some progressive songs and hymns. I am looking forward to this. Tuesday and Thursday nights are my nights to practice as my wife works at her shop. On alternate nights after about 30 minutes of practice she yells "Are you finished yet?" so practice times have to be carefully planned.

I am working to get my skills back in preparation for a visit to the Schilke factory to play their horns. This will probably be in the spring. Right now I am thinking about a B2, but will withhold final judgement until I play other models. I am also going to stop by to visit Steve Winans, a.k.a. Dr. Valve, to have him look at my cornet. It is in very good condition, has a very nice sound, and plays like a dream. The plans are to have an ultrasonic cleaning, a valve overhaul and allignment, and relacquer as the instrument has a sterling bell. My band director rather gently informed me that this was a lot of money to put into this horn, but I believe that it will be worth it. I purchased the instrument in 1967 and have gotten a bit attached to it.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
bigbandhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: It's a gas Reply with quote

After getting your chops in shape, the best advice I can give is to find yourself some kind of ensemble to play in. Not only will it motivate you to get better but you'll find new and wonderful people that enjoy the same things you do. I joined a local big band and it's the most fun I've had with music in forty years. Just be prepared to challenge a 20 something youngster with all that lung power!!

Yamaha ytr 6335
Conn Constellation Cornet ( 63 )
Holton Flugel
bigbandhorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: It's a gas Reply with quote

After getting your chops in shape, the best advice I can give is to find yourself some kind of ensemble to play in. Not only will it motivate you to get better but you'll find new and wonderful people that enjoy the same things you do. I joined a local big band and it's the most fun I've had with music in forty years. Just be prepared to challenge a 20 something youngster with all that lung power!!

Yamaha ytr 6335
Conn Constellation Cornet ( 63 )
Holton Flugel
hotorangetrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back... I can only imagine the joy that must feel like -- losing then finding a good friend. Congrats on your return!
NiViBri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
The worst surprise was that my tone didn't match my "muscle memory" of where the notes would be.

Oldblow,
WOW and congratulations on coming back! Have you (yet) seen the COMEBACK PLAYERS threads here on TH? Great fun and a great group too!
Hey, In spite of what you might hear coming outta that BELL, KEEP that "muscle memory" of tone. It will serve you wel!
Also, you might try a Teacher too. Nothing like some expert encouragement from the "Get go". Way better than taking right to a "bad Habit" or worse staring right out with "rough chops" lol
Great to have you "back".
Victor
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldblow wrote:
Then my wife asked the fatal question: if this horn is so perfect and so old, why are you playing it?...
Ironic that our wives would ask such a question, eh????

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
ernieo2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped playing in 1955 and started again 3 years ago. I had sold my "Olds" trumpet in 1960 and always regretted selling it. When I decided to start up again I only wanted an "Olds". Admittedly, I have gotten a bit carried away on my purchases but the quality of the "Olds" horns prior to about 1974 can hold a candle to any of the new horns today. As you are no doubt aware Olds went out of business in 1979 so any Olds horn you buy is now a vintage one. You have a great horn, treat it well and it will last you the rest of your life.
NiViBri
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
oldblow wrote:
Then my wife asked the fatal question: if this horn is so perfect and so old, why are you playing it?...
Ironic that our wives would ask such a question, eh????

Old Blow,
Here's an answer.
How about,
"For the same reason I'm Still playing YOU.........................sweetheart!"
Victor
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernieo2 wrote:
I stopped playing in 1955 and started again 3 years ago. I had sold my "Olds" trumpet in 1960 and always regretted selling it. When I decided to start up again I only wanted an "Olds". Admittedly, I have gotten a bit carried away on my purchases but the quality of the "Olds" horns prior to about 1974 can hold a candle to any of the new horns today. As you are no doubt aware Olds went out of business in 1979 so any Olds horn you buy is now a vintage one. You have a great horn, treat it well and it will last you the rest of your life.

Have to agree on the Olds thing, they are amazing and addicting.....

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: