• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Schools

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beginner #1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Does anyone here know of any good Jazz schools?

Matt
budthorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of North Texas is very good. A ton of Maynard's lead players have come from there. Great rep for jazz, AND legit. UNT has a very balanced program, and an incredible amount of fantastic players and teachers have come out of there.

Pat
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the places in Boston and New York are good... Berklee, NEC, Juilliard, Manhattan, and New School. Other people here will disagree, but I think living in a city with a strong jazz scene is an important aspect of your education. Oh yeah there's the Monk Institute out at USC too.
1B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Miami is also a great jazz school.
1B
Cozy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, I agree with all the fine schools mentioned. I'll add Indiana U...That was hard to type, being an Ohio State alum. O-H!

Cozy
http://www.cozychops.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
benny1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This past year I attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville as a graduate student in music. Knoxville/Chattanooga has been a place in which I found myself going easily and unabashedly into some very great jazz making!

Master Classes this past school year have included the likes of Sam Rivers (notable for his playing with Miles Davis and Billie Holiday to name a few). I will write that River's drummer, Anthony Cole, is one helluva talent in many directions (more later).

The literature in the big band at UT (2001-2002) included Thad Jones and Woody Herman, primarily.

The jazz faculty here at UT are quite generous with their time and have a lot to offer. Many have been on the road and almost all of them gig steady in town.
tryingtocomeback
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about their jazz programs, but at this year's Collegiate Jazz Festival at Notre Dame I had the chance to hear some unusually great sets from Middle Tennessee State, Oberlin and Virginia Commonwealth. These big bands were amazing. Tight, clean, musical, terrific understanding of the music. And the trumpet sections all screamed. I've been away from the scene for quite a while. It amazes me how well developed some of these kids are! Also of note was the band from University of Alaska-Fairbanks.

FWIW,
Matt
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Ball State University in Muncie, Indiana. They have a fine program. I am a product of their program and so is Patrick Hession, lead trumpet for Maynard Ferguson. If you are out there, Pat, I want to say “hi” and always knew that you would make it as a professional trumpet player. To learn more about the jazz program visit Larry McWilliams’ Web site: http://www.bsu.edu/cfa/music/faculty/lmcwilliams.html

[ This Message was edited by: trumpetdiva1 on 2003-06-27 11:30 ]
Halfnote

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as how you're a New York State resident, it would be more cost efficient for you to look within the state first. If money is not of concern to you then, hey, go nuts. The State University at Purchase has a great jazz program and many connections to NYC. I wrote a bit more about it in the "Purchase" topic of this forum. For under $5K a year I'd think you couldn't beat the bang-for-buck ratio! Where ever you decide to look, I'd reccomend taking a lesson with prospective teachers before finalizing any desicions. Good luck, think Big
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote is for UNT In fact I'll be there through saturday for a trumpet camp. It sounds pretty awesome.
kmm0805

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for a good jazz school try East Carolina University in Greenville, North Carolina. I know it's pretty unknown and not in a key location...but I will graduate with my undergraduate degree from ECU in May 2003 and I can honestly say that I have gotten one of the best jazz educations in the country. Carroll Dashiell, Jr. (bass) is the director of jazz studies. He played with Bobby Watson in the group Horizon. He is one of the most unbelievable musicians I have ever met. The other jazz faculty are Jeff Bair (sax), Paul Tardiff (piano), and George Broussard (Tbone). There is no jazz trumpet instructor...but every other week during the school year I study with Ray Codrington, who has played with Eddie Harris and is known for his work on Freedom Jazz Dance. Besides being a beautiful cat Ray is one of the badest cat's i've heard. There's a great thing going on down here in jazz and I encourage anybody interested in studying jazz to consider ECU. One exciting thing is we have a jazz festival every year and some previous artists have been Bob Mintzer and the Yellowjackets, Houston Person and Etta Jones, Trumpet Summit including: Cecil Bridgewater, Vince DiMartino, James Ketch, and Ray Codrington. This past Festival we had Terrell Stafford (who is the man by the way), Kevin Toney and Vanessa Rubin with her group. Anyone interested check out the website http://www.music.ecu.edu
....Oh yeah, Before he got sick Dr. Billy Taylor was our distinguished professor and I was fortunate enough to play for him and talk with him on two occasions

Good luck, I too am looking for schools, but for graduate work so anyone who can tell me about the jazz and classical trumpet programs at U of Maryland, Rutgers, W Michigan I would appreciate it. (these are just some options I have no favorites yet.)
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a buddy going to Western Michigan, and he said the programs there were great. Trent Kynaston (sp?) is the Jazz Studies guy, and the trumpet profs are Scott Thornburg (!) and Stephen Jones.
cybertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dickgrove.com
http://www.barryharris.com
Check these out......
krfgloveme

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On of my teachers is going for his masters at the university of Northwestern in Illinois, But he also said it puts a dent in your wallet
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on what you want to work on and study if you like playing in big bands UNT is your school there isn't a better one in the world for that although it's not geared towards improvasation as much as other schools are and it's very constrictive in terms of being an individual player, they tell you what to do.
Although you live in New York...thats where it's all at man, don't leave!!! If you want to learn how to play jazz and progressive music thats always changing and inovating thats where you want to be...alot of people are trying right now to save up there money to move there...myself included. You will learn more from just living there and playing with other guys than you would at most schools in other parts of the country. There are lots of schools in NYC where you can study and the tpt prof will be great....do a google search.
It all depends on what you want to do and learn.
Another little known school thats has some serious stuff going on is the Univ of Central Oklahoma check them out http://www.ucojazzlab.com
gustav
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the University of Louisville. I attended there in the mid-sixties. But it is even better today. Jamey Aebersold has a special area for Jazz. He does play the Sax but Herbert Koerselman is a good jazz trumpet player. And you can always drive a few miles from Louisville and get lessons from Vince DiMartino at Centre college in Danville, Ky.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

Since you are located somewhere in NY, you might want to look at Wm. Patterson College in NJ. Or, University of Massachusetts at Amherst. They are both good schools, and the cost won't put you in debt for the next twenty years.

I know of two individuals who have recently completed graduate school at Eastman after getting their undergratuate degrees at UMASS.
Just something to think about.

Pete
nawlinsboundjazz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT obviously won't be a bad choice, but I've heard people talk low of their undergraduate programs. They say there is no one on one. If you're going for grad, look into it, but as for undergrad, Michigan State, or New Orleans, and i've heard awesome things about Miami.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: