• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazz Schools

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moplaystrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nawlins --

I just got my Bachelor's degree from UNT this spring. Anyone that says UNT has no "one on one" was probably just too uninterested to go find it. It doesn't matter what school you go to, it's what you make of it. UNT is a great place if you're looking for constant competition to kick you in the butt when you need it, not to mention the wealth of performances going on ALL THE TIME. Yeah, it was a tough place for my BM, but I wouldn't change it for the world. At UNT, you'll be very privileged to experience several hundred different types of programs and concerts, all of which will contribute more to your education than anything.

But, like I said, none of this matters unless the person is willing to take advantage of it.

MM
Jam_Man_Tpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know any excellent jazz schools near MO? Currently I have been looking at UMKC. If I go there I will study with Bobby Watson, Hal Melia, and Mike Metheny. It sounds like a good place and also it is only 40 miles from home.
trumpeterb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youngstown State University....if you are interested in a smaller school with a KILLER jazz program
isabelle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your looking for a school in MO, Webster U. in St. Louis has an incredible jazz program. I'm currently a performance major at Webster. St. Louis is a huge music venue, and there are numerous incredible opportunities to perform.

~Isabelle
hineyr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some pretty intense experiences at University of Miami, undergrad and graduate.

The opportunity to take classes and play in groups led and coached by Whit Sidener and Vince Maggio (neither of them trumpet players, but both VERY knowledgeable and experienced) was excellent.

And of course, there was Gil Johnson ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm at another school in Miami (that's a long story...) I can highly recommend the program at Uni of Miami. The CJB (top big band in the school) is one of the most disciplined and accurate I have ever heard - and they can blow as well!! Any school that attracts the likes of Roger Ingram has to have something going for it....
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Although you live in New York...that’s where it's all at man, don't leave!!! If you want to learn how to play jazz and progressive music that’s always changing and innovating that’s where you want to be...a lot of people are trying right now to save up there money to move there...myself included. You will learn more from just living there and playing with other guys than you would at most schools in other parts of the country. There are lots of schools in NYC where you can study and the trumpet professors will be great....
----------------------------------------------------
I received my master’s degree from the Midwest, but I am presently taking trumpet lessons in New York City. I agree that if you are living in New York City, stay there. I, too, am trying to save up money to move there some day. I highly appreciate my master’s in trumpet performance from Ball State University, but if I had lived in New York City I probably would have looked into New York University, Manhattan School of Music, New School for Social Research, and SUNY schools for jazz. Living in New York will probably allow you to experience the cutting edge of jazz. Any performance opportunities that should come to you should prove to be fruitful in New York City, too.

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a dark-horse candidate for you: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The jazz program was just taken over by Chip McNeill (music director for Maynard, Arturo, et. al). Small community but alot of chances to play live jazz.
stukvalve
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man .. i also think being in a big city with a gigging environtment, and a jazz scene is super super important. i dont really think you can learn jazz in a university .... maybe you can. if you want to try...

check out UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA. we just won 6 down beat awards ...
the program is headed by bunky green (jazz legend)... and there are 3 big bands with about 8 combos. our band will be playing at midwest band and orch clinic this year, as well as the IAJE convention. in july we are touring europe
to play 3 major festivals, montreaux, north sea, and nice in paris. alumni include marcus printup (from LCJO) ... steve reid (lead tmpt for maynards band back in the late 90s for some time, and lead tmpt for the mercer ellington orchestra), doug wamble (guitar,arranger/composer for the LCJO) and major bailey(bass bone for the jazz ambassadors) .. to name a couple.
check out the website for the band and s.o.m. at http://www.unfjazzensemble.com.
thanks man, good luck to you! -max-
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to lay around on the beach Southern Ca has Cal State Long Beach, just for starters. The city is like a small NYC.
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check out City College in NYC -- my bass player studies there (with John Pattitucci, previously with Ron Carter!) and says it's better than the more expensive schools because you get to mix with the really good players. In the high-end places like the New School and Manhattan School of Music, they seem to keep the really burning players separate from the people who are trying to get to that level. Also, City College costs a tiny fraction of what those others do.
BrassGringo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out University of North FLorida. We got alot of good cats here. Not to mention the legendary Bunky Green heading the Jazz dept. We get in alot of good artist every year. This year we had the Dizzy all stars (faddis, slide, john lee, dennis mackrel, antonio hart.) Dave Brubeck, Steve Coleman, and Maria Schnieder will be here this month. The atmosphere here is great(being only undergraduate.) Everyone is incredibly nice. The trumpet teacher her Brian Urso is a great teacher and an awesome player. His orchestral/solo literature chops are just disgusting. He used to do some lead playing, although he got out of it. His high chops are still really solid. The other day inbetween lessons he played a F# above triple C on an ingram marcinkewitcz.

The top jazz ensemble is one of if not the best undergrad jazz ensmebles in the nation. We won 6 downbeats last year. 2 recently recoreded badass CD's a tour of europe this summer and china and japan in 2005 are just some good stuff. Keith Javors, director of the top band is an amazing teacher and a mind boggling musician. Some great musicians have come through here.....Marcus Printup, Steve Reed, Randall Haywood, Kevin Bales, Vince Gardner, Major Bailey, Doug Wamble. I love it here. Check it out.

To update this we were just informed that UNF jazzensemble 1 is number one in the country in the latest downbeat awards.

http://www.unfjazzensemble.com

[ This Message was edited by: brassgringo on 2003-05-01 18:24 ]
RT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone looking fot a good jazz school, I think I can provide quite a bit of info. I have had experience with UNT, Cincinnati (during PH's tenure), U of Miami, and Indiana. I think jazz at the U of Miami is just like their football team, very overated. I was accepted into Miami as a grad studnet, moved there and opted not to attend. Instead, I gigged and taught in Miami. I almost never encountered any of the UM students on my gigs. The reputation around town amongst the working musicians was that the UM kids were "too good" to play gigs, though most musicians felt that the Miami kids were too busy talking about how wonderful they were to practice or play gigs. I was at Cincy during Pat Harbsion's tenure, and I think he really helped me to build a very, very solid foundation as a jazz player. Notice I left the word "trumpet" out. While I was at CCM, there were so many expectations to be a superior jazz musician, that most lesson time was devoted to jazz playing. This was great, but at schools like CCM you have guys that can solo to no end but can't hang a church gig. IU is just the opposite, you have a few guys that solo well, with no chops, and tons of guys with super chops that aren't the best jazz players (uh-oh, I just alienated all of my colleagues at school, no offense guys!). The best bet is to go to more than one school. If you can swing it, do an undergrad somewhere and then a master's elsewhere. If I hadn't gone to IU for grad, I would have not realized that "jazz" and "trumpet" must be treated with the same weight. If I could do it all over again, I would do IU for the Undergrad, and then somewhere else for grad school like Manhattan, or McGill, or USC, et al. Make sure you have have a private teacher you work well with. If it weren't for Pat Harbison and his guidance and patience, and father-like love, I would be an angry trial lawyer!
livelyjazz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that U of North Florida is a great undergrad program.
For graduate studies, I would recommend Queens College, CUNY in Queens, New York. It is a great program and cheap. They only accept as many students as will fill a big band. I studied with Michael Mossman while I was there. The faculty also includes Antonio Hart and Sir Roland Hanna. You get a lot of personal attention there and you,re in New York. What more can I say?

Logan
rjzeller

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate to be party to a clinic put on by the North Texas top Jazz band when I was a senior in high school. They were absolutely out of this world. I have since also played with several people who have studied at Miami.

Now, you should understand that I HATE Miami and nothing made be happier, being an OSU guy, to see the Buckeye's beat them in the Fiesta bowl last January while sitting in a hotel in Miami! Now that I've had my gloat...

I have never heard better players in my life. Unbelievable improv, though they were all Sax and Bone players. I haven't honestly heard what it's done for trumpet players, but I assume they'd be the same. These are top notch players, but I'd still have to give the nod to NTU. They seem to know how to swing a little better (the Miami folks seemed a bit stuffy or too straight...but they could certainly play...).
etownfwd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take the time to make some visits, atleast think about Temple Univ. in Philly. The trumpet Prof. in the Jazz Dept. is Terell Stafford. He's not only a helluva guy, but a thoroughly top-notch player and teacher. Food for thought.
-efwd
unttrmptplyr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a NO-BRAINER!!! University of North Texas of course!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with gustav. I go to the University of Louisville, and it has a very good jazz studies program. YOu're a NY resident, so it is cheaper for an in-state school, but I know that UofL will be HURTING for full-time jazz guys after this school year is over. The resident jazz trumpet guy is John LaBarbera ("plop plop fizz fizz..."), and the school brings in top-notch artists from all over to do clinics, sit in on rehearsals, and do mini-residencies. There's also a Jazz Week in May that is basically a week-long concert, with some clinics thrown in. I want to say that Terrell Stafford is going to be in town this year, and possibly the Village Vanguard Orchestra. You should definitely check us out!!!

Send me a message if you want more info about the program, or if I can help you out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: