• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

egad's I bought a Bach today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry it was not a trumpet,it was a Flugel horn.

I ran across a used one in the Marketplace here and as luck would have it the guy lived here in Nashville TN.

Its a Bach Strad in Laquer.it has a nice dbl case that looks to be brand new.I imagine that he used a gig bag instead of this case.It was owned by a little old man that only played it downhill on sundays.

All jokes aside,I bought it from a local studio guy here in Nashville.The horn is well used but in resonably good condition.No major dents.Only some pimples around the bell and some light pitting of the finish.The only reason he was getting rid of it was because he got a killer deal on a Kanstul.

He was very upfront about the horn.He stated that the horn was not quite as dark as the Kanstul but he said until he played the Kanstul,the BAch had served him well over the years.

I talked with him for a while and we shared a lot in common.Fast cars,fast women and OH yeah Horns.

I played the Bach for a little while and found it to play nicly centered.Much better than that POS DEG that I will be selling soon.I negotiated a fair deal for the BAch and went ahead and got it.It needs a little tlc.I plan to stick it in the shop this week and have it Chem cleaned and valve alignment done.It also needs new corks.Should set me back about $100 bucks.

This will probably be just a temporary horn for me till I save up enough bucks for the Wild thing or a Conn Vintage one.

The horn gods have been good to me this past week.I have a new Conn Vintage one trumpet and a Nice BAch Flugal all for under $1600 bucks.
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Enjoy the horn.

Be aware that the Bach mouthpiece taper is different from many other horns, so when you go shopping for your next horn, you'll likely need to get a new mouthpiece.

Cheers,

Tom
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Thanks for the reminder.Brian Scriver http://www.brianscriver.com has been doing a great job on here of keeping me informed about mouthpieces.Rest assured before I ever bought any Flugel Mouthpiece I would ask here first.

I don't expect to keep this horn very long.Just long enough to get some time behind it and sell it so I can get the money to get the Wild thing or the Conn v-1
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The horn gods have been good to me this past week.I have a new Conn Vintage one trumpet and a Nice BAch Flugal all for under $1600 bucks.

You lucky #*#!!!
Enjoy!
trumpetrmb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Flugelhorn is a Bach Strad, and it Plays very well for me. In tune, much easier than my comrades DEG or Blessing horns.

They probably deserve a better rep than they have.

Enjoy
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextbrass,

I have been called a lot worse.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: