• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My new Olds Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Super1964

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently purchased an Olds Super on Ebay. It is a great horn however my play seems to have deteriorated since I started playing this horn. I went from a Yamaha YTR 2335 student horn to the Olds Super. I still use the same mouthpiece (11C4) which I just started using about 8 months ago. I use to use the 11B4. When I say my play has deteriorated I mean that my embouchure feels week and I have very little confindence in my embouchure. I can't seem to find the sweet spot where everything seems to be in order. I have been playing for only two years so I am in the very beginning stages of my journey. Is there a difference from playing a Yamaha student horn to an Olds Super. I was told that the Olds requires more air because it is a heavier horn than the Yamaha YTR 2335. Therefore my embouchure has not weakened however I just have to give it more air. Does anyone have any thoughts on my struggles and whether the difference in horns is the cause?
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should talk to a trumpet teacher and work on your air support, which is about supporting the air with your diaphragm (sorry no spell check) muscles. Good student horns are easy to blow without having this fundimental in place, which is one of their attractions. I am a returner and despite years of tai chi I will admit to not having the air support sorted yet. Without the air support you are probably using pressure to keep doing what you used to do which is why you are identifying the problem as being with your chops and mp.

The Alan Vizzutti method book one also has some very good long tone excercises that are very good as part of warm up and will help you develop air support as will the basic Caruso excercises.

Also a good idea to give the horn a good bath and snake, I have a Bach from ebay that I thought was a dog when I first got it, however after cleaning out someones lunch it's a keeper.

Teacher or tech can also give the horn a once over to check it not a problem like valve alignment, compression, leaks etc. But my guess is that if you work on the long tones and air support, focus on beautiful sound you will soon adjust to the air needs of a wonderful horn.

Hope that helps
Mark
Super1964

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. Your comments are very helpful. I am currently working with a private instructor and he is very helpful. I clean the Olds Super weekly and with each bath it gets better. I am waiting to get my student trumpet back from repairs and then I will send in the Super Olds for a professional cleaning which it needs.
I have just started to work on long tone exercises and will continue to include them in my practice to improve my air support as you suggested. It just has been frustrating to experience this setback but I understand that these are weaknesses in my technique that I need to fix (better now than later). Your comments have enforced the advice I have been given so far and I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-14 11:32, Super1964 wrote: I clean the Olds Super weekly and with each bath it gets better. I am waiting to get my student trumpet back from repairs and then I will send in the Super Olds for a professional cleaning which it needs.

By all means, have the Olds professionally cleaned. If your cleaning improves it each time, then you're not getting it clean. Generally all you need is a proper set of brushes unless there's hard scale inside, then it'll need an acid bath. Get a mpc brush and make sure your mpc is totally clean also. Once you get everything clean, then brush the mpc weekly and swab the leadpipe two or three times per week with a Reeves leadpipe swab, or something similar.

When it's clean, look inside the leadpipe and make sure it's smooth. If it's pitted you'll need to replace the leadpipe. This is not an uncommon problem with old horns that were put away dirty and sat for years. This can even happen to horns that are played a lot, if there are not kept spotless inside.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2004-05-14 11:50 ]
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also look at your mouthpiece and horn. Olds sometimes can have a problem with the gap between the mouthpiece and the leadpipe. A larger then recommended gap would make it harder to blow. Make sure that you have the right mouthpiece for you.

The most important thing is your practice habits. If you are not warming up properly and practcing until your lip is tired without enough rest and do this day after day you aren't giving your lip time to recover.

Mike
djm6701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the Supers play a little 'smaller' than one might expect; you may be overblowing the horn.

GR 65.6 Mouthpieces
a jazz.fm member
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 1940 Olds Super a little over a year ago, after hearing so much about them.

Sure enough, the sound was great, the pitch was awesome, but after about 20 minutes something I didn't know how to describe was happening to my sound.

Short version of long story: it needed a valve job. The valves were incredibly leaky with lots of side-to-side play. I sent it up to Steve Winans who did an amazing job on this horn, and now it's my very favorite horn to play. I can play it for hours, now, and that "thing" doesn't happen to my playing anymore.

Depending on how old your horn is, it may need some sort of a tune up. I also have a 1937 Olds Super Recording that seems to have less-than-perfect compression, and I may be sending this one out for a valve job, too.

Sometimes it really is the horn.

An aside: I love the way people start prescribing their remedies when they don't have even a fraction of the information. Thank God I studied with a teacher who insisted on getting the full picture before prescribing solutions.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: