• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lets talk about Orchestral C Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tpetplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is not ment to be an arguement over which trumpet is best for orchestral playing!! Rather, I am interested in peoples opinions, pro and con, not necessarily on brands of horns but on different types... Of course, brands/models will be included, for instance the comparison between Bach bells which I find extremely interesting. I am also interested in your opinions on tuneable vs. fixed bell, bell, bore and leadpipe sizes, material (brass, copper etc).

Stuart
patrick32378
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since noone has responded..i'll put in my two cents. I think that horns have gotten too big, mouthpieces also. There seems to be a lack of brilliance that IS the trumpet. For that reason i have switched from playing on big horns with big mouthpieces to playing on middle of the road equipment. I find that with my bach 37's and 3C'ish mouthpieces, I have greater control over tone color, dynamic expression, etc. I am absolutely thrilled with my Bach/Laskey conversion. Unfortunately it's a Bb..if I had a C, that would be my orchestral horn of choice. Of course, there is a time for a very broad dark sound but there is also a time for a brilliant one. I prefer tools that lend themselves to both as much as possible.
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang in there Patrick. Scott and Ron are working on making horns from scratch, not converting BAchs. This may be a while, but the time will come.

I have had so many people say I sound incredible on my Bach/Laskey C. And, like you, I now play a 3C rim on various cups. I have more endurance, more core, and the sound does not spread, but the louder I play, the more intense the sound gets.

I don't have to work as hard as when I was using a 1X rim.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: