• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Callet 3rd slide conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any imput on these? I have a strad and a callet, both currently have the normal 3rd slide, Ive been thinking about getting this done (maybe just to the callet, both if I really like it afterwards) so IVe read all the websites about them. Im wondering if anybody out there has actually had it done and can tell me about their results. thanks
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Last September Bruce Lee, Lee Adams, and Tom Turner brought the traveling brass circus to town. I think just about every kind of horn was represented. To get to the third valve conversion, there was a fella with a Bach 37 ( I guess it was a 37) who asked the same question. Lee Adams made a temporary simulation of the third valve slide conversion and the change was quite noticable even to the guy who owned the horn. Contact Lee, he can tell you more than I can, what he did to simulate the conversion was very simple. I think it involved a piece of copper tube and some tape (to attach the copper tube).
Arsch Frisst Hose

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you happen to know if you absolutely have to get the 3rd valve conversion with the finger ring placed on the bottom? I'm not a 2 or 3 fingers on the bottom kind of guy and don't think I'd be able to get used to that setup. Has there not been some sort of development for the normal top-side ring - possibly with an extension piece (like that on some pinky rings with reverse leadpipes on Bbs and Eb horns)?

Just checking.

Also, has anyone found out more about the actual way to temporarily simulate the 3rd valve conversion?

Thanks so much,
AFH
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arish, I've had the conversion done to at least 3 of my horns and I continue to recommend it. The sound opens up more and the slots are more secure as is the intonation. A very good investment.

To my knowledge, the ring has to end up on the bottom. I found it very easy to get used to and now prefer its feel too.

Best regards, Kyle
wiseone2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-26 18:52, tptguy wrote:
Arish, I've had the conversion done to at least 3 of my horns and I continue to recommend it. The sound opens up more and the slots are more secure as is the intonation. A very good investment.

To my knowledge, the ring has to end up on the bottom. I found it very easy to get used to and now prefer its feel too.

Best regards, Kyle

I had the conversion done to my Bach. The ring is under the slide. Yesterday after reading this thread I called Jerry and asked about moving the ring back.
Well, as I was speaking to him I flashed back to the first Besson I owned and I then remembered that I had Vince Dell'Ossa move the ring.
Any fine repairman can do it.
Wilmer
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a matter of fact Lee Adams and I have discussed this and it is possible to have the ring on top of the slide. Contact Lee, I am sure he can take care of it for you. He is The Callet dealer.
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hallo Arsch,

nice name. I use a weighted cap for the third valve. This helps projection a lot.
Maybe a little more mass is the main benefit of that conversion. Just my theory.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: