• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Excess water out the bell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AeroStud1026
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys on my bach strad I recently have been getting water out the bell more than just alittle....it seems odd because its never happened before I thought something may be blocked going from the mouthpiece to the water key so I snaked out the leadpipe and tuning slide...didnt really help anything....

Im guessing it might need a good cleaning...any other opinions? Thanks

Matt
Bach Strad 37 ML
Bach 3CW w/24 throat mpc

"Right now I am lost, but I am on a path and will eventually find myself, and once the path ends I will have found myself; the best in the world"
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you're using more air than you used and it's just blowing the water out. Same thing happened to me when I really started using my air right.

Wish I still had that problem now though. Now whenever I see a drop on the bell ring, I look into the bell to see if it's coming from in there. Alas, no. Just a drip from the spit valve.

John

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you on that one. When you use a lot of air, it can make the water roll out of the bell. I wouldn't worry about it. There is nothing wrong with giving your horn a good cleaning.
_londonhusker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has the horn been stored in a colder environment than usual? That would cause more of the moisture in your breath to condense upon hitting the cold metal.

Dave
londonhusker
pjtpt

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE it when water comes out the bell--it lets me know that I've been playing alot and I'm spinning lots of air through the horn. In fact, I'm kind of disappointed when there isn't water coming out of the bell.
SilverTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats great is if you can get steam to come out. it ridiculous and truly possible. I was at a clinic one time and the guy heading it was a trumpeter. He decided that in the middle of the jazz song we were playing he'd whip out his horn and solo to it. That was when the trumpet section promptly put our horns down and watched the master. He was playing some ridiculous notes that I don't think I could place on music even if I knew what note it was.... yes that many leger lines...and then suddenly I saw steam come out his bell. I was amazed. I havent yet figured out the physics of it but he must have been creating so much friction that the moisture became steam again and came out the end of the bell. when asked about it he said: "oh, steam? yeah that happens sometimes" HAHAH RIDICULOUS!!!!

~J.R.R. Tolkien
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: