• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gold vs Silver ???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptwannabe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a combacker, I'm surprised by the number of people with gold plated horns these days. Back when I was getting started, everyone had mostly laquer horns, then silver got hot in the late 70's.

Is there a particular advantage to gold plating? Is it purely a personal preference or status thing, or are there performance characteristics, or durability issues involved?
Psalm 37:4/Proverbs 3:5-6/1 Corinthians 2:14
(Bb) Bach Strad 37 ML
(C) Bach Strad 229 L 25H leadpipe
Schilke 10A4a
Bach 2C
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many opinions on the plating of a horn. Some will swear by their particular preference; others do not worry so much. What I've heard about gold plating is that it lets you have a dark but focused sound, useful for orchestra playing. Of course, this takes us into the realm of what we mean by dark, etc.... By dark I mean not brassy or lead jazz trumpet sounding. Any other takers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer gold plated instruments because gold resists the acids in my hand better. My silver horns over the years have had finish problems around the contact areas that my gold plated trumpet has not.

[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2004-05-28 10:47 ]
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-28 10:46, WFUnix wrote:
I prefer gold plated instruments because gold resists the acids in my hand better. My silver horns over the years have had finish problems around the contact areas that my gold plated trumpet has not.

<font size=-2>[ This Message was edited by: WFUnix on 2004-05-28 10:47 ]</font>

I knew there was something else! Gold is much easier to clean.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
josephus07
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's something to discuss...

Scott Laskey said that theoretically a gold horn should be able to be BRIGHTER than any other finish. I didn't catch his explanation, but here's something interesting...

Gold can be applied EXTREMELY THIN, much thinner than silver or lacquer. However, the gold can't be applied to raw brass. So if you have to plate it with silver first, you can get as thin a silver plating as possible (much more thin than a standard silver plate) and then apply the gold on top of that. The end result is a really thin plating that resists corrosion more than silver and allows the metal to vibrate more freely...ANY THOUGHTS?
camel lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also read here and elsewhere,where the properties of gold allow the horn to heat up much quicker and hold heat better than silver or Lacquer.

I still love the looks and feel of silver plate but its a pain to take care of.

All things considered gold has lots of advantages.
BruceB

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Getzen 3001 is gold plated and the sound is much brighter than the silver Wild Thing that I had before. The horn even feels lighter so go figure. I think the ones that are darker sounding have a thicker plating on them. The amount of silver applied first would definitely make that difference.
I did hear from a couple different people that gold doesn't wear out like silver or laquer. Having never had a silver one wear through I can't attest to that but it makes sense.
Monette BL3 anf MF2 mouthpieces
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have thoughts . . .

with that scenario I agree. That should be the closest to raw and provide excellent protection. What usually happens is that a regular silver plate horn is overplated with gold where it becomes a purely cosmetic issue. I like this idea of the super thin plate.

Nate
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Levermann
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A black trumpet sounds darker than the same trumpet painted white.
Guess why !
drtrumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Stomvi Master horns come with two bells - one is solid sterling silver, and isn't the other a sterling silver with gold plating?
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the normal thickness for gold plating (when done over silver) is between 3 and 5 MICRONS! Since a micron is 0.0004 inch, then 4 micron is only 0.0016 inch. I believe that silver goes on a bit thicker than that so perhaps this is why it is claimed by some that gold plate leaves the sound much like raw brass whereas silver brightens the sound.

To tell the truth, I think that one would have to take two identical raw brass horns (does such a thing exist?) and plate them one in silver and one in gold and then do some kind of blind test comparison to see if there is a difference in the sound.

I did a half-a$$ed estimation of the surface area of a trumpet being plated (including "up the throat") and came up with a number indicating that one would use about 1/2 ounce of gold (at today's price of $400 US/ounce?) to cover a horn with gold at the 4-5 micron thickness. Perhaps someone more "in the know" could confirm/deny that info?
ARB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To tell the truth, I think that one would have to take two identical raw brass horns (does such a thing exist?) and plate them one in silver and one in gold and then do some kind of blind test comparison to see if there is a difference in the sound.

I didn't know gold could be plated over raw brass?

00 Schilke S22
77 LA Benge 5X
63 Burbank Benge C

"It's what we think we know that keeps us from knowing"
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it could be, ARB; but perhaps not with the results in terms of appearance and durability. I guess I should have said "gold plated over silver in the traditional manner" vs. "silver plated in the traditional manner" ... which is what I meant.

If gold plated has to be done over silver... then so be it. I suspect that, in these cases, the silver "undercoating" is much less thick than it would be if the horn were being sold "silverplated".. and perhaps this is where the tonal difference comes from.
trumplyr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-05-28 12:21, Tootsall wrote:
I believe that the normal thickness for gold plating (when done over silver) is between 3 and 5 MICRONS! Since a micron is 0.0004 inch, then 4 micron is only 0.0016 inch.

I think that one micron is actually about .00004 inch, which would make four microns about .00016 inches. Pretty thin stuff.

Marty

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best."
Frank Zappa
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whups.... the infamous "dropped zero" strikes again. Of course you are right, Marty.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a raw brass trumpet and gave it a brushed gold 24k finish. There was no silver involved, the gold finish was put on the raw brass (because it was brushed). I noticed no difference in sound.

First they wanted to give it a copper layer before goldplating it but it wasn't neccessary. In the early years they nickelplated the horn before goldplating it. That really makes a difference !
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted... double post.

[ This Message was edited by: Tootsall on 2004-05-31 11:53 ]
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about nickel plating, etc..... I'm just going from what Leigh McKinney of Eclipse told me when I was quizzing him about the two horns that he did (had done) for me. He did say that you COULD put gold directly over brass but did not define what the circumstances might be. He also said that when "MOST" platers do a gold finish they put a flash coat of silver on first and then the gold plate. Since a "flash" coat is VERY thin and gold IS thin, I'm presuming that the total coating thickness is still thinner than an all-silver plated finish.

And, of course, either one is far thinner than lacquer!
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to John Lynch, gold plating can be applied to raw brass. Mr Lynch gold plated my Raw brass Lawler and a 2nd bell which was silver plated. There is no difference in the look. Both look identical as far as the gold plating is concerned. As far as sound is concerned, I don't think the gold plate made a difference. Of course the TL6r is already a dark sounding horn. The horn turned out beautiful.
Lawler TL6r1a
Schilke 1040 flugelhorn
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I inquired about having my 38B gold plated I was told that gold plating over nickel plating will wear extremely fast. It was strongly suggested that I get the horn stripped, then silver plated, THEN gold plated if I was set on that route.
Clearly I have decided to stick with the nickel plating, even thought the horn weighs a ton and the finish is a little dull after I stripped off the laquer.
I do have to say that once that coating of laquer came off the horn plays infinatly better. At least to my ears it does, and thats what really matters.
Unfortunatly it now has a very dull finish. Anyone know how to polish nickel? So far neither silver polish nor brass polish has had any effect.

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: