• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How much is too much valve wear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a topic I don't think I've seen before here, maybe others will be interested too. As us vintage horn buffs know, valve wear is about the most important consideration, and almost all old horns will have some. However, I have some horns with noticeable wear, some with brass showing thru, yet compression is still good and they still play fine. I have others that don't look very worn, yet they are, compression is bad and they don't play well. What are the considerations here? How much wiggle in the casing can be considered acceptable? What can be done to make it better short of an overhaul? Are any of you guys playing on horns with worn valves? I've read that Mendez played the same horn so long it was quite worn out yet he compensated for it and couldn't hardly play a newer horn, yet I know someone who studied with him for a year and he says that's bunk. Any comments?

Bob
Getzenguy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

I think you may have answered your own question at least to a certain extent. ".... yet compression is still good and they still play fine." If it plays fine play it and don't worry! On the other hand you state"...others that don't look very worn, yet they are, compression is bad and they don't play well." this is a bummer. I started playing again about five years ago and bought a "Benge in great condition" with only a few months under my belt and in a few more months became good enough to discover that the guy who sold me the horn was confused, it needed a valve job really bad. I now play a CG Benge with "tired valves" and little compression but use a thick oil, Zaja and it plays great! I have tried Hetman Classic and it doesn't work as well for me. I have also used Roche Thomas Premium Bore oil on worn out pistons and they really worked quite well and I was happy with the result. As long as you can get the sound you want out of the horn don't worry. If you need a rebuild Kanstul just did one for me and it cost about $220 for all three pistons. Mark
radiobob
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Getzenguy, I'll give the Zaja a try. I've tried mineral oil, but that only works if your playing really slow tunes! I've read Hetman#3 works well too. I don't live too far from Anderson's, I'm going to go for a tour and take a couple horns there for overhaul.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: