• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What's the best way to approach "how to play bebop"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i just got the book today.. I've scanned threw it and i noticed that everything is in the key of C...

how do i use the book? do i just go and practice what the book says or i'm i suppose to transpose the scales into different keys or what? or does the book gradually work it's way into that??

i'm just wondering if there's is a right way to approach the book or should i just go by memorizing all the rules and practicing the scales and stuff as written in the book?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go through the book VERY SLOWLY and methodically. All the examples are written in C. You need to learn every single line in all 12 keys. Later in the book there are scale "Calisthenics" (Is this Jazzercise?) that work through all the keys.

I like to use the exercises that are on pages 33 & 34 and practice them in sort of the same way I would do the 4th or 5th Clarke study.

Don't be afraid to post questions. I agree that Vol. 1 is the best place to start, but all 3 volumes work well together. You don't need to master vol. 1 before diving into the other 2.
bulos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk said "learn notes"
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn what not to play.

Somebody said that, if not they should have. Guys spend years learning all the stuff that sounds hip, every tri-tone sub etc.

Then learn the hard lesson.

Don't play any notes that don't mean something.

I think it was Diz that said he'd spent a lifetime learning what not to play.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 15:14, bulos wrote:
Monk said "learn notes"

is this suppose to mean that i should try and learn as many scales as possibles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 15:21, dbacon wrote:
Learn what not to play.

Somebody said that, if not they should have. Guys spend years learning all the stuff that sounds hip, every tri-tone sub etc.

Then learn the hard lesson.

Don't play any notes that don't mean something.

I think it was Diz that said he'd spent a lifetime learning what not to play.

i don't understand you were trying to say....
PH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorge,

I don't think Paul and Dave understand that you are talking about working from a specific method book (since that is explained in a different thread).

Make a finger warm-up out of the calisthenics that start on page 33 and then start at the front of the book and learn one gesture at a time, transposing it to all 12 keys (not just C7).
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok PH I've got some questions for you:

Ok I've been practicing out of this book like a nut... at least 4 hours a day... but of course my entire purpose for this summer is to learn and know the changes and scales like it's my job ...

ok this is what i've accomplished so far.

I can play the dominant bebop scale accending and decending from the 1, 3, 5 and 7 in 10 keys... i'm still working on the Cb and Db gives me some problems..

ok, now I don't understand why I need to learn these keys from the 3, 5 and 7... like if i see C7 can I start with the G, and then have the option of going up G, A, Bb B, C, D ext..?? is that how it works or does it have to be written in the music a special for me to start on the 3,5, or 7 of that chord??

also about the scale syllabus.. should i know all those scales by heart too in all the different keys?

and oh yeah, somehow i confused my self earlier thinking about minor keys and i need some clearing up..

ok minor keys there 3 forms of it..

natural, harmonic and melodic..

so i don't understand if i get asked to play a C minor scale.. does that mean a C natural minor scale?? are they 3 different scales or as my book says " 3 possible variations".. btw i'm getting my theory from a book called Basics of Music Opus 1... the book just confused the mess out of me and i can't find my notes from theory class..

also one last question.. i was also suggested to get the book "Scale for Jazz Improv" by Dan Haerle.. or something like that.. should i get that book also or will "how to play bebop" be enough info and supply me with all the info and scales that i need?

by the way.. although i only know the Dominant bebop scale i already feel more confortable as to what notes to pick whenever i play along to my aebersol play along stuff...

http://trjeam.tripod.com
Trumpet Resource Site

http://latrompeta.tripod.com

trjeam@hotmail.com

[ This Message was edited by: trjeam on 2004-06-11 21:05 ]
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-11 20:27, PH wrote:
Jorge,

I don't think Paul and Dave understand that you are talking about working from a specific method book (since that is explained in a different thread).

Make a finger warm-up out of the calisthenics that start on page 33 and then start at the front of the book and learn one gesture at a time, transposing it to all 12 keys (not just C7).

yeah doing those first would make alot more sense... i'll deff. work on that.. i'll probably even try and memorize them..

i'm looking at the jazz calisthenics and it looks like alot but once I start doing these dailies and get use to them i'll probably run threw them like it's nothing.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<does it have to be written in the music a special for me to start on the 3,5, or 7 of that chord?? >>

You choose. It's merely a matter of getting those variations in your ear as well as under your fingers so you can "just do it" when you improvise. As you actually improvise don't think about 3rds or 5ths, just let your ears and fingers take over.

<<also about the scale syllabus.. should i know all those scales by heart too in all the different keys? >>

Each one adds more paint to your paintbrush. But keep in mind, you'll continue to add more and more colors your entire life. You shouldn't expect to do everything in one summer.

<<minor keys>

Though the various minor scales will provide lots of different colors, the most important one in jazz is Dorian minor. That's the scale that goes over the II chord in II-V-I so you'll be using that version most of the time.

Best regards, Kyle
PH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You eventually have to be able to start on any of the 12 chromatic notes and weave your line so as to quickly resolve into the new change and spin off from there. This is tough, but this book will give you all the vocabulary you need to do that. Just go slow and learn each phrase and gesture in all 12 keys.

It works even better if you are also starting to memorize the melodies to the standard bebop tunes and spending a lot of time transcribing and listening to people who play this way: Fats, Clifford, Bird, Stitt, Bud Powell, Rollins, KD...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: