• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

starting lessons

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uttrumpethoss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off i would like to say i really like this site, there's alot of good information here

as for my question, i'm really interested in giving lessons to local high school trumpet players. i just don't know the best way to get started on that. should i put something in the newspaper or what? thanks for your help

peace.jeff
1 1/2 C Megatone (silver)
NTlead
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, welcome to TH. It's like Trumpet Player Online but with competent and significantly less bitchy people.

Try going to a nearby high school and talking to the band director. I'm sure they'd be glad to send students your way; it's only going to make their band better.

I guess you could do an ad in the newspaper, but most of the people that play trumpet play in school.
Meldog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along with the things suggested above you can also go to some local music stores and give them your name and number. A lot of people will call them asking for someone to take lessons from. If you have a University nearby with a decent music program you can give them your name. The main offices usually get emails or calls looking for people to teach their kid. The last thing I would suggest is get out and play as much as you can. Really network yourself. If you play a show and someone hears you and likes what they hear they just might come up and ask about some lessons. The best thing I have found though is word of mouth. Once you get a few students and the parents and or students are really happy with what you are doing with them they will mention you to other people. Good luck. I've just moved and I'm back in that boat and trying to network myself as much as I can!!
Adam Metzler
StewMuse
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I moved to Chicago a few years ago, I mailed letters to every HS and middle band director and instrumental music store in the area. I included a bio, resume, and other pertinent info. I would also suggest a short demo CD (which I did not have then). 100+ letters got me hired at 2 schools and 1 store almost immediately. Word then spread to other schools...

My iBooks currently available: Military Bugle Calls, Courting the Upper Register, Building Trumpet Technique, Tuff Keys, CUR II: JAZZ, Trumpet Rounds, Beginning Jazz for Young Trumpeters, Cigars @ Home
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: