• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

REAL range?????

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsa-arch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright everybody, I've been reading these post for a while now and I'm starting to wonder if there is something really wrong with my playing.

I've been playing gigs for about 20 years in every different type of band I can and my REAL range is only D or E above the staff. I can play comfortable there all or most of the night and can HIT F and G with a nice big sound (same as D and E) most of the time if the parts require it.

I usually play lead in a big band, first in a brass quintet, lead and solo in a drum corps, first chair in a concert band, lead and solo in a rock band and whatever they need in orchestra's, pit bands or whatever. I also play flugal and trombone.

I read everybody talking about how they can play double C's and above and I wonder what my problem is. I can do it during a practice session maybe once or twice but that's it. Everybody I know who plays locally both professionally or semi professionally all have about the same range as me, some stronger then others but pretty much the same.

What's the story? Is everybody talking REAL range all night to the end of the gig??? If that's the case I'm wondering if I should be playing drums.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wecome to the world of the lead trumpet. The biggest group of bull****ters in the world.
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, dear...another one about to sell his soul for the dubba...

Don't do it, man! I can play the dubba C in practice, too, but wouldn't consider it in my usable range (it just doesn't sound good). I have never been asked to play that high -- you rarely see anything higher than double G written (4 ledger lines). Many of the double G's are optional, even! I would say my usable, all-day range is F. The G is not consistent yet in terms of power and accuracy, but I haven't lost a moment of sleep about it.

I know plenty of guys who can play the doubles all night long, but I wouldn't want them sitting next to me in any situation because they can't do anything else. Conversely, I know a ton of guys who can light up a G anytime, but can also play the Tomasi trumpet concerto and solo like a fiend on Giant Steps. Who would you rather be?

Sure, work on the high range, but be thankful for what you CAN do -- sounds like you are versatile, and can cover lead parts just fine already. Nothing wrong with the dubba as an accent from time to time, but if you ask me, there ain't nothing wrong with what you have, if you have what you report here in your post! Don't let your identity as a player be defined by whether or not you can play notes that are almost never written!

Paul Poovey
(edited for spelling and additional content)

[ This Message was edited by: AverageJoe on 2004-07-08 11:25 ]
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean.

It seems as if every second person on this site either has incredible range or if they haven't they are obsessed by it. I'm sure (in fact I know) that there are some incredible players that participate in these forums, exceptional professionals (and some amatures) that have most of it taped down. However, regardless of what some people believe of themselves, most of us are merely mortal and have adequate usable ranges and have spend our hard won time and effort working hard on endurance and musicality in our playing.

My main priority is to be able to use what little range I have musically. To qualify that, I'm a keen amature not a professional, but even if I was I'm not sure I'd approach my playing any differently. Hey, I can't even squeek anything up there!! I'm sure there are lots of very good players, like yourself, can get there during practice.

If double C playing in a musical setting were as common as it sometimes appears to be on this site then watch out WB...they're right on your tail mate!!!

Just my take on it.

Regards,

Trevor
hsa-arch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I'm glad to hear that most of us are mere mortals!! I've been playing for years and learned early on that it's about the music and not the high notes. I've played with some monster players (not just trumpet players) through the years and they were always about the music. I saw a symphony pops gig with Doc as the guest artist and he just blew me away with his musicality, even when he was screamin'.

I guess my point is:
Being honest with yourself about what you can and can't do, and understanding it's about the music is the most important thing, and there is a time and a place for everything. Play pretty, play often and learn from those around you........ I still wish I had a usable double C that blew the roof off the place all night, oh well, I guess I'll leave that to the guys with the REAL range.....
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you're willing to bet the farm on, in a musical situation ... that's your range. Hey, what happened to all the dubba players.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Charles, your range is G over high-C, BECAUSE you play it when you need to. That's all that counts. Lots of guys can "hit" that G in practice, but couldn't play it in performance to save their lives.

"Real range" is what you can and do use.

Dave

[ This Message was edited by: dcstep on 2004-07-07 17:02 ]
Tl2uMp3t_Er
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then my real range is like...G or A below high C...
I can play up about E above high C in practices...

Horns:
V. Bach Stradivarious 180s-37
Mouthpieces:
Bach 3C
Bach 7C
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real range is a G sharp over high C

and A's in the practice room
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea my real range is a G above high C but if im well rested I'll have my double C for a little bit...15 minutes? ha just kidding but yea real range is a G above high C.
gio trumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

‎‎

Last edited by gio trumpeter on Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pmkt16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm only barely 16...whats your point?
mulligan stew
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, children...
camelbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 47
doubleCbound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 16 but I have a PLAYABLE range up to High A. Practice Range has hit Double C and holding strong, but who cares how high you can play. I mean, so you can play Double C and you have only played for 4 years so what. Being a great trumpet player is not about range. In fact i believe it is better to have complete control over your what sounds are porduced verses how high that sound is. One of the best young trumopet players I know can only play to about G on top of the staff but he does it with such grace as well as everything he plays that the fact he can not play any higher doesn't matter.

What is most likely to get you remembered in the trumpet world RANGE or TONE? I would pick tone over range any day.

If you can only play high D so be it, play it to the best of your ablity and let the others blow their lips out.

Bach Strad 180-43 ml
Bach Strad RC180-256g .442 bore
King Tempo 600
F. Besson 1000

Bach Megatone 3C
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can see by your screen name how unimportant range is.
doubleCbound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on you have to have a goal. As much as I want double C it is just to rub it in those who can't. Doesn't mean I am a better player than them.

Hey I don't think my range got me in honor bands and youth symphonies.

Bach Strad 180-43 ml
Bach Strad RC180-256g .442 bore
King Tempo 600
F. Besson 1000

Bach Megatone 3C
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doublecbound --

Your ability to play a double C will not even raise the eyebrow of the people who matter.

Paul Poovey
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-07-09 12:22, AverageJoe wrote:
doublecbound --

Your ability to play a double C will not even raise the eyebrow of the people who matter.

Paul Poovey

Attitude will, however, raise many eyebrows.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: