• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

James Thompson Buzzing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl_Hess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I've been using the Complete Buzzing method for 2 days now (not enough time to see results, I know). My problem is: After I do the first 4 exercises, when I go to play anything on the horn...say excerpts...i can't really produce any volume...it seems my chops are messed up or something. I want to stick with the book, but I don't want to screw anything up. Any thoughts?
Bach Strad C
Yamaha Custom picc and Eb
Piece of crap Flugel
Monette C1 1 and B1 1
Yamaha Cornet
All around nice guy
kmm0805

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Carl,

You definitely need to give it more time. I use the Thompson BB everyday and it has done wonders for my playing. When you say you try to play excerpts or anything after you do the first four exercises, do you mean right after you finish the fourth exercise? What I have found helpful, thanks to Prof. Rich Stoelzel, is do the first four exercises and then take a break. I typically wait about 30min, sometimes longer depending on the day, and then do some Chicowitz sp? flow studies. Then I feel like I am ready to tackle an etude or excerpt. I believe the BB is a great tool to get setup for the playing day ahead, but is not a miracle four buzzing exercises and then play right after. If you have any questions I would try to get in touch with Profs. Thompson or Stoelzel. I think the book says about 6 weeks to notice and feel a difference, so try to stick it out. I have a feeling you won't regret it, but on the other hand what works for me, may not for you. Good luck! Feel free to email me as well if you have any questions. kmotrumpet0805@hotmail.com
MendonTrpt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player. Having played through undergrad days (as a theory major), I picked the trumpet about 6 years ago (after 20 year hiatus) to teach my son, who's become a fine player. He studies with Brian Shaw, a grad student of Thompson, and we've both used the Buzzing Book for a year. I've gone from playing 3rd to 1st in a community concert band, and was tapped to play lead in the pit orchestra for Anything Goes, which ended up winning an award for best musical pit group out of all the high schools in the Rochester, NY area. My tone, range, and mindfulness when playing have all improved dramatically in the last year, and I attribute 75% of this to diligent use of the buzzing book. I'd take it very slowly, and suggest revisiting Thompson's text as you progress. There's a lot of subtle stuff in this volume.
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BB are a very strenuous group of excercies. Take some time off after doing them you need the rest. Also, expect a dramatic adaption period for a short while. I had a really dramatic adaption period that leveled me for a short while, but I came out of it better than ever.

Mike
Carl_Hess

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times a day do you guys do the BB exercises? Just once? More?
Bach Strad C
Piece of crap Flugel
Monette C1 1 and B1 1
Yamaha Cornet
All around nice guy
Mzony
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would strongly urge to spend one very focused amount of time on the Buzzing Book. I say focused only because you will incorporate ideas (hopefully) from the book into other practicing issues, but the excercises make the performer very tired. I truly do not think, if you are focused, that you should have to do it more than once.

Mike
kmm0805

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just once at the beginning of each day. I find doing the BB first gives me a good reference point for the rest of the day. After a break and some flow or flexibility studies, I feel ready to do whatever the day ahead brings (etudes, rehearsals, excerpts, etc.).
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone. i recently took a class with james thompson for 2 days at eastman. he said that you should say tu instead of ta. not tu as in "too" but the french way: teu. he said to say that so that the tongue does not hit the roof of the mouth or the top of the teeth, but so that it hits the tip of the teeth, to keep the air going over the tongue more smoothly. but it seems to create more of a pucker in my lips. should i be doing that?
and also, perhaps more importantly, during the rests in these buzzing exercises, should one relax the embouchure, or keep it firm? should you relax the corners or anything? thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Carl_Hess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tweak,

saying "tyoo" is a great way to approach tounging. I don't think you should pucker too much, but just say the word.... tyoo.. it should feel rather natural.

as far as the BB..I believe Thompson says to "relax, but keep the mouthpiece in the same position...don't move even a little" FWIW, I relax the corners while keeping the mouthpiece in place.

What else did Thompson talk about at the clinic?
Bach Strad C
Piece of crap Flugel
Monette C1 1 and B1 1
Yamaha Cornet
All around nice guy
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we hit BB in studio class this past year, we were told to keep the corners firm, like Caruso. Does it matter?

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso never said anything about firm corners
musicemt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what i meant to say was, is it OK to relax the corners when not playing, or should you keep your embouchure exactly as if you were playing?

Ben

Zeus Guarnerius
Bach C 239 w/ Blackburn pipe/slide
Weril Regium flugelhorn
Yamaha 14B4-GP
Yamaha Shew-lead
kmm0805

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In both the BB and Caruso exercises, I believe that you can and should relax the corners when not playing. Niether are supposed to isometric exercises. The main idea is the keep the appeture (sp?) set by breathing through the nose and keeping the mouthpiece on the lips. Both BB and Caruso are very strenuous exercises and by adding more tension than you need you could end up hurting yourself.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One clarification about Caruso. In the book, MCFB, CC is very clear about maintaining the tension (and pressure) while resting when practicing his calisthenics and following the Four Rules.

When taking lessons from him live he wasn't necessarily fussy about maintaining the tension of the embouchure while resting. The big difference being was that Carmine was right there observing whether relaxing the tension might interfere with the student's progress or not be in his best interest.

If I was a student using MFCB (especially for the first time) without a knowledgeable CC student to observe, I would try to follow instructions in the book as closely as possible for best results and to avoid any possible injury. Most questions arising from the use of MCFB can usually be answered in the Caruso forum.

So, with that said,

In .... Caruso exercises, I believe that you can and should relax the corners when not playing.

Generally, the muscle tension SHOULD be maintained while resting. In many cases it may be OK to relax the muscles; but relaxing the corners specifically wouldn't be the goal. They would automatically be relaxed if the embouchure in general were to be relaxed.

The main idea is the keep the appeture (sp?) set by breathing through the nose and keeping the mouthpiece on the lips.

The main idea is to keep the SETTING of the mpc on the lips (and the jaw set) the same and to work the muscles.

Both BB and Caruso are very strenuous exercises and by adding more tension than you need you could end up hurting yourself.

I can't speak for the BB exercises, but you will NEVER hurt yourself practicing CC calisthenics if the Four Rules are followed.
Carl_Hess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

forgive my ignorance but what are the 4 rules?
Bach Strad C
Piece of crap Flugel
Monette C1 1 and B1 1
Yamaha Cornet
All around nice guy
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a nutshell... the 4 rules are... (I am pretty sure these are correct... I don't have the MCFB in front of me)

1.) Tap your foot
2.) Keep mouthpiece in contact with lips for entire exercise
3.) Steady Blow
4.) Breath only through nose
_swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that TH has a forum dedicated to Caruso's teaching ... you can find it . And, as a special bonus, there are several "getting started" threads; [url=http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=299&forum=20&68] this one would be a great place to start.

Matthew 25:31-46
Carl_Hess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steve
Bach Strad C
Piece of crap Flugel
Monette C1 1 and B1 1
Yamaha Cornet
All around nice guy
kmm0805

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

Sorry for the confusion, in my last reply I was referring more towards the BB. However, in John McNeil and Laurie Frink's new book Flexus, Prof. Frink says that the longsetting exercises in the book are not isometric and that mouthpiece pressure and tension in the corners should be relaxed during the measure of rest. It says that the longsetting exercises are adapted from Caruso's six note exercise. These exercises are the only form of Caruso that I have worked on and if I said anything that contradicts the MCFB book, the Flexus book is where I got my information. I apologize if I misinformed or offended anyone, I was just trying to pass on information that has really helped my playing. Thanks.

-Kevin

P.S. I highly recommend Flexus. There is some great stuff in this book.
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright. after a month of these exercises, i still cant do #2. here is the problem, and bear with me cuz i am just fed up with the crap. when i play #1, everything is fine. it's when i GLISSANDO down from c to c that something happens. my top lip gets all screwed up. the corners remain firm, but my top lip kid of flaps over my bottom lip, creating almost like a pucker but not really. its just not frim anymore, and so when i start #2, i cant do it! i notice that when i play, my embouchure looks sort of like this: my top lip is just a bit over my bottom lip, causing the air stream to flow downward. is it supposed to be like that? am i confusing anyone when i say that?
i'm just really frustrated. i have an audition on september 13th and i feel like giving up and throwing my trumpet out the window.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: