• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Purchase/new school

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenny dorham is an animal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i was just wondering what u all new about the purchase school in NY. I understand they have faddis and jim rotondi teaching there. wow. What does anyone know about it? I also have absolutely no info about the new school.
Thanx

DRES
seaverj

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended the International Trumpet Guild Conference at Purchase College a couple years ago. The college campus is huge but not overwhelming. I think the school has a lot of potential with the current trumpet staff. I would definitely look into it as a great investment. SUNY schools are cheaper and you would be so close to the NY scene.

2 semesters cost
$3,400 for New York State residents and $8,300 for out-of-state residents

Good Luck!!
Halfnote

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited the Purchase campus last year and was quite impressed. Size is a very subjective thing, but I didn't find the campus to be "huge." It was rather well layed out, clean and with a very friendly vibe to it. When you're there you would never guess that you're 20mins from NYC, as you're surrounded by trees and fields and relatively quiet "country" roads. The school is on land that was set aside by Roosevelt when he was Governor of NY and he personally designated the school an "Institute for the Arts." I spoke with the head of the jazz program - guitar player, can't recall his name - and he was very friendly. Said they always need trumpet players and (as a push for the program) reminded me about Faddis being on the faculty. The school is a bit isolated (which can be good or bad) and I don't think there is any off campus housing. There is, however, plenty of bus and train service to and from NYC. The music building was plastered with posters advertising groups from the city coming up to play, or faculty members playing at clubs in the city. The school offers very few majors outside of the arts which makes for a great environment for creativity. I caught a student combo playing in one of the lounges and they were pretty tight. The school is surrounded by HUGE houses with iron gates out front and 2 or 3 black SUVs and Lincolns in their driveways - mostly politicians from D.C. and NYC. Westchester County is known for its money!
The music program seems to be pretty heavy and I think anyone could get a great deal of learning done there. I'm not really a city guy so I really dug the fact that it was set apart from the craziness of the city - a nice little retreat to come back to. Best of luck, Halfnote.
andyhume

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham Ashton is Chair of brass and trumpet professor at Purchase College, State University of New York. Is this where you mean?

Graham is a well known trumpet player from here in London. Studied at the the Royal Academy I think - went on to become a member of the Philip Jones Brass Ensemble and perform with all the London Orchestra's.

Should be a ringing endorsment for Purchase.

Andy

[ This Message was edited by: andyhume on 2002-05-27 10:23 ]
Virtuoso Punk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. Actually, I was working on my Master's in trumpet performance there last year before family issues forced me to return home to California.

It's a tough program.... lots and lots of playing. I was in 6 ensembles at once including the symphony orchestra, and yes, those were the REQUIRED ensembles. It's a vocationally oriented program. For example, Graham Ashton, the brass chairperson, has actually said to me: "All of my students get jobs."

Want some detailed info? Let me know. (I'm falling asleep right now, that's why.) I'll be more than happy to share.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: