• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Albinoni: Concerto in B-flat, Concerto in E-flat, or Sonata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mconley1986
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently played a wonderful arrangement of Albinoni's Sonata "St. Mark" for brass quintet by Mr. David Hickman. I have a recording of this same work under the title "Concerto in E-flat" performed by Maurice Andre with Neville Marriner and the Academy of St.-Martin-in-the-Fields. Also, this year's ITG CD features two movements of this piece under the title "Concerto in B-flat" but what is the first movement in Sonata "St. Mark" and "Concerto in E-flat" is now the second movement and the second movement is the third movement (confused yet?). Can someone tell me the origins of this work and how it came to be performed under so many names?

[ This Message was edited by: mconley1986 on 2004-07-27 21:43 ]
john75248

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been curious, too. I found your post using Google to find out more about the concerto. The two movements on the new ITG CD are from a version in E flat arranged by Timofei Dockshitzer. I got the sheetmusic from Editions Marc Reift (EMR) in Switzerland. The movements on the ITG CD are actually the first and second. The cause of the apparent confusion on the notes on the ITG CD is that this concerto has four movements (grave - allegro - andante - allegro) rather than the normal three. Probably whoever wrote the notes figured since the tempos are slow and fast, they must be the second and third movements. I bought a CD called "Tomaso Albinoni:
Baroque, Volume I: Concertos and Sonatas" with Maurice Andre playing all four movements of the "San Marco Concerto." The CD is from EMI. The CD doesn't give the Key, but I don't think it's E flat. Andre is playing it higher, but I don't think it's an octave higher. I would be interested in knowing the key in which Albinoni wrote it.
guenni-trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I have the sheet music at home. The piece is original in Eflat.
My sheets are edited by Billaudot.
Ricco Kuehn B, C
*Canadian Brass C
*Yamaha Custom D/E flat
*Schilke P5-4
*B&S Challenger II
*Mouthpieces: Bach 1C, Bob Reeves 43 MPC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: