• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Athens, Ohio Jam Session

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKatOU
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case anyone is going to be in the area, there will be a combo Jam Session at Casa Nueva in Athens, Ohio next Thursday, May 29 (probably not starting until about 11:00). I will be playing, along with a few friends, and so if anyone is interested in coming to listen or to sit in, let me know.

-Chris Koenig
POLAS_8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like a good jam session in the metropolis that is Athens, OH. I'll see ya soon buddy when classes start up again. I'm assuming Stoney is playing also. Have a great time and maybe I'll swing by. And I assume you meant July 29th?? Just helping ya out.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: POLAS_8 on 2004-07-22 16:03 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athens is certainly an interesting little town. I was in Athens for a few minutes back about 3 weeks ago...

I had a band that played a gig many, many years ago up at Burr Oak State Park. I think it was for an end of the school year OU fraternity or sorority dance/party, or something like that. I remember that it was on Saturday night, May 24, 1969! That was another era, huh? Beautiful night and beautiful area. Nice gig and nice place to play - in the Chickadee room of the main lodge. Even had a big dinner in the lodge paid for by the people that we were playing for. That road that goes up to Burr Oak from Route 33 - I think through Glouster - I think it is Route 78? Lots of hills and curves. We had never driven it before at night...might have even gotten lost back in Athens after the gig trying to find our way back to our lodging for the night.

After the gig, we stayed in a fraternity house that was located at approximately 32 North College Street. It's located just behind a triangle-like block to the west(?) of the intersection that it sits on (I get a little confused on directions in Athens). On the southeast corner of North College and Mill Street. The building has a flat parking lot in the rear that you drive up into from Mill Street. I'm not exactly sure if the address is 32, but close. When I drove by there a few weeks ago, it looked like the building was now a multi-unit apartment building. I think it's painted white with green trim now. I just happened to recognize it as I drove by, since I had no memory for where it was.

Just out of curiosity, do you know where I am talking about? And, what is that building today? Apartments?
POLAS_8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on my 3rd year out in Athens I know the area. The specific building is right there by Mill, College, and State Streets. The Acacia house is right there but I would have to drive past there again for the specific building. Athens is a fun and great town. Great professor at OU in John Schlabach. Quite possibly the best kept secret in the state of Ohio, in my honest opinion.

Chris

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Alpha Kappa Chapter
Ohio University - Athens, OH
CKatOU
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Chris, I did mean July...thanks

Also thanks for covering for me for the musical. Hope the check covered your gas!

Chris
CKatOU
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schlabach is incredible. But don't forget Ernie Bastin's still at OU as well. The man's taught me more about jazz improv in the last year than I had learned in my whole undergrad experience.
POLAS_8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris no problem on that show. It was a good time. This past one was Ernie and myself. He still plays great but his true greatness is in his ability to convey a point through his experiences, stories, and teaching, despite the past health problems. It was a pleasure.

Chris

Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia - Alpha Kappa Chapter
Ohio University - Athens, OH
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: