• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Good modern jazz musicians

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hokeypokey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some good contemporary jazz musicians

No Chris Botti or any other smooth jazz crap please.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrico Rava,Paule Fresu,Jeremy Pely,Dave Douglas,Alex Sipiagin,Wallace Roney.
Spede

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomasz Stanko
big al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne krantz, uri caine, chris potter, nick payton
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Ballou, Dennis Gonzalez, Eddie Henderson, Ryan Kisor, Ron Miles, Valery Ponomarev, Hugh Ragin, Jim Rotondi, Paul Smoker, Colin Steele.
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Hassell, Nils Pedr Molvear, Eric Trufaz
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuong Vu, Herb Robertson, Roy Campbell, BIll Dixon, Russ Johnson,Ron Horton, Ben Neill (inventor of the Mutant trumpet),Jeff Kaiser,Jon Hassell.....
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danilo Perez
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti is not crap.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, Chris B is himself not crap, and neither is his sound or technique or his marketing/promotion efforts (including fashion shots with and without shirt on), but this thread is about modern jazz players...which I assume is about creating, and standing by, new forms of improvisational music, not commercial "smooth jazz". IF Chris Boti is making such music, it isn't being heard or promoted. I think that his choice of trumpet is his greatest contribution to new perspectives in trumpet playing.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken.
Tim Hagans, Kenny Wheeler, Dave Douglas, Ralph Alessi, Cuong Vu, Dave Ballou,Herb Robertson, Tom Harrell, ............................Chris Botti:)
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Hagans, Eric Alexander, Conrad Herwig.......
hokeypokey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti makes music that I don't find very appealing. ie: Smooth jazz. He's the Chet Baker of our generation.
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti is agood musician but idont get the comparison with Chet Baker other than the good looks.Chat was one of the top bebop players of that generation. Charlie Parker had an audition for his band in L.A,.and when 19 year old Chet came in and played he said audition over and sent 100 la tpt players home
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Botti is actually quite a be-bopper himself. Just ask Pat Harbison about that. Botti can do anything, Played with Sinatra, Buddy Rich, Sting, Jonie Mitchell, and He's also the trumpet player on all those ESPN things as well as "Nighline" and "Inside Edition." If you want to hear him play "modern Jazz" then you should check out Trumpets Eleven. It may not be Dave Douglas type music, but you get to hear him blow. I would also challenge anyone to find someone who is "modern" who has a resume like him or has been on the road 4 years straight playing the trumpet. People make choices in life, and that has been his path. I just think it is a little unfair to hate on someone if only one side of him is known. For all we know, he could have the nastiest Avante-Garde band anyone has ever heard and is just waiting till the moment is right to blow us all out of the water if. Or, he could just be enjoying life and doing what he likes. Either way, he is a very nice guy and doesn't really deserve to be labeled as lame because he does what he wants and enjoys it. Isn't that what we all want to be doing?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Botti issue comes up regularly; actually I met jgadvert because we argued about Botti and then began communicating on other professional trumpet/band issues.
Kenny Wheeler has just as impressive a list of credits...but when something has his name on it, it will be art, not muzak.
The fact that some musicians don't care for Botti or Kenny G or similar shouldn't be a surprise. We aren't the general public. I've read that Botti actually LIKES the stuff he puts out, and certainly he can play, but chooses to tread water for big bucks cause he's pretty.
I once owned one Botti album, ($9.98 sale) and it wasn't his playing that I (actually) hated...it was the total lack of interplay and the clumsy way the el. keybords and bass were played...(drums sounded like a machine) it sounded like they met that day in a studio and a producer was making the musical decisions. Also the trumpet wasn't loud enough, 1/2 was muted. It was SO contrived to be a certain product. In oither words, it was cr*p. Give me bad musicians playing sincerely any day.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention Kenny Wheeler. I know Kenny, not just from a clinic or something,but we actually speak often, and he is an incredible player and amazing guy. Last time I spoke to him, he said he was really digging Ryan Kisor, a guy who is probably in this post somewhere. Now I would not really consider Kisor on the level that Wheeler is at by any means, but it just goes to show that the guys who we love may be checking out the players you least expect. I figured that Kenny would not bother listening to other trumpet players at all as bad as he is. In response to botti "actually liking that music", well, he also likes Miles, Clifford, and studied with Woody Shaw for a while. SO WHAT if he is making money, he has seen the world, and has been able to become known for playing the trumpet. Botti can run circles around many players out there, but instead just sits there like a little zen master and plays music that makes you want to hear more. Can't wait to see what you have to say to the "Zen Master" Comment.
Peace. It's all in good fun anyway
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but instead just sits there like a little zen master and plays music that makes you want to hear more. Can't wait to see what you have to say to the "Zen Master" Comment.
Peace. It's all in good fun anyway

Well, thanks for the story! I'm glad I pushed. I've just seen Kenny once, at the Charles Hotel in Cambridge, and actually he wasn't very good that night...couldn't seem to find the notes on the higher reg. of his flugal...but did I stop listening to his albums? NEVER! We've all had less than stellar days...and Kenny always leaves me wanting to hear more, Botti leaves me borred.
I doubt Botti ever EXposes himself the way Kenny did that night...ever...well, maybe for a teacher. Yes he is oh-so-cool. Maybe that's why you compare him to a Zen master. But a Zen Master he aint. Have you ever met one? They laugh and then wack you. They don't try to act cool at all! They try to get you to be yourself, not who you think people will like...Botti makes money because he has put himself at the mediocre point of the bell curve...entertainment. I wasn't into KISS either (although they made allot of money and traveled the world) because they were all about image too. THere! I compared Botti to KISS. Uh-oh. What's the smooth jazz equilivant of "I just wanna rock and role and party every night"? Maybe "I just wanna rub you with perfume all over, and sink into that big leather chair..."
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: cookiemonster on 2004-08-03 09:27 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: