• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jazzstandards and Endurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justpushplay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does somebody practice Jazzstandards either with metronome or with a playalong accompaniment?
My question is, how to structure your practise time with standards when your intention is to efficiently increase endurance? Just play till chops are burning?

thanks in advance
jpp
big al

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practicing heads/solos in unusual keys or all twelve keys (metronome or JA) may help with endurance; the mental effort involved may have the effect of stressing you out physically as well! (IMHO) Then when you go back to playing in F or Bb you'll be all over the changes like a powerful moss.
cookiemonster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to play with a pianist or bassist if at all possible,maybe even a drummer, in just duo settings, then you can't float as much and really have to listen to the time. Playing with other people is a lot more "real" on your chops than playing alone. If you must do it by yourself which I realize may have to be the case, try to play with freddie or clifford records and play as long as they do, it will give your chops much more of a "real life" endurance test. Good Luck!
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to be a jazz player you have to practice standardsas a part of your practice everyday. get the 50 or 100 must learn tune list with the keys they are played in(youcan get this over internet on a jazz site or local cllege jazzdept) the learn them learn melody first 4 bars at a time then look thru the harmony how it gravitates thru diff keys look then for the 1 or 2 special chords in a song know where they are usually altered dominants so you can play the right tones there. its better to know 5 tunes inside and out than 50 tunes not well.then watch how the chords move in the song usually smoothly in 1/2 steps or 1step and play guide tone lines. if you get alot of chords together simplify and play whole notes or half notes ascending or descending and youll sound hip. work o tunes everyday.Abersold is a great way to learn tunes but dont always play with a record play thru changes by yourself
musiclifeline
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standards can also be used to increase your range. I like to play things like Stella By Starlight in G, then Bb, then in Db, then in E, and so on up in minor thirds (or you can do it in half or whole steps) until I can no longer play it musically without really forcing those high notes out.
justpushplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your replies.
Initially I thought of number of repetitions, play/rest time and such things. But now you turned me to a better direction. Playing other keys, 'slowfood' like "Stella", relating to a real life situation (I play 2 days a week with my companeros, couldt be more . . . ) is even more challenging and more fun. And yes, I will first go through a smaller number of tunes and work them out.

Great forum.
regards
jpp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: