• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet/flugel case suggestions

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrDave
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Wiseman Triple case about a year ago. There are pros and cons to many of it's features.

It is VERY sturdy and affords lots of protection. On the other hand it is quite heavy. I have had one mishap. When opening the case my Pic partially slipped out of the slot holding it and bumped against another horn in the case, causing a ding. I now secure the Pic with a single elastic accross the foam slot, which works well.

The velcro closure is a mixed blessing. I find it slightly annoying to get open, but I know that it will never open accidentally.

Wiseman sends inserts based on your horn tracing, and replacement blanks. Mine needed some adjustment to fit properly. However, having the blanks gives flexibility if you get a new horn and want to cut your own, which I have done. Wiseman will supply new insets or blanks as long as you own the case, part of the lifetime warranty. I had some concern that the foam inserts might slowly abrade the gold finish on my horns. I have not seen any yet.

The interior configuration can be changed to suit. My case will carry 1. Two trumpets and a Pic
2. A Pic, trumpet and Flugel
3. A Pic, Trumpet and Cornet

It will not carry a Pic and Flugel at the same time. There is a custom Quad case that I think will. Sometimes I wish I had gone for the quad, but did not want to deal with the added weight when I usually carry two trumpets and a Pic. Changing inserts takes only a few minutes, but is one more thing you have to do if you are trying to rush out the door in a hurry.

The case is very compact given that you can carry 3 horns. However, because it is so compact there is little room for anything else. The supplied strap on acessory case is a good solution. The only problem with the clever nesting of the horns in that one has to remove the Pic from the slot to safely get out the trumpet below.

In the end, is it worth it? It is a beautiful case and very well made. I would buy one again. I might go for the Quad next time. I may yet sell mine on ebay and upgrade. Who knows?

If anybody wants to order a Wiseman case email me and you can use my referrral code for a 10% discount.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hose wrote:
dcstep: I've been thinking seriously about getting a Mike Vax case also. Would you post a review after you get yours?

I've been using my Mike Vax case for about a month now and I'm very pleased. The quality seems high and my YFL-731 and Concept TT fit very well. It balances on end and the pocket is generous.

I tried a V1 flugel in it and thought that it was too tight, even with the moveable wedges and moveable divider. The V1 fit perfectly in my old ProTec trumpet/flugel case, but I felt like I had to push it into the Vax, such that it would keep a little pressure on the horn. With the old case there was no extra room, but the V1 does indeed fit just right and the top closes with no pressure. Unfortunately, that case is much more bulky than the Vax.

Mike carries a 6310 flugel in his case, along with his MV Yamaha trumpet. I saw that the fit was comfortable with that combination.

Anyone with a large-belled flugel should make sure it fits before ordering the MV ProTec case; otherwise, it's a wonderful case.

Dave
DrDave
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction ot my previous post. The Wiseman will not carry a Flugel and Cornet at the same time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: