• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ebAY horn... can anyone make sense of this?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an auction that ended that I almost bid on.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3738079825&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I didn't bid because I was worried about this horn because it is advertised as a 1970 Getzen Eterna Severinsen Model......
yet the serial number begins with an "S" and NOT an "SK" like it should. (Look closely at the pics)
When I emailed the seller he confirmed that it began with an "S". Also...there was an obvious addition to the horn (third valve metal slide stop) that made me believe that this horn might have been some kind of "frankenhorn"
Can ANYONE make sense of this?
CORNET: Holton Galaxy (Awesome horn)
KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil PC88MX,Yamaha S-30, Casio Privia 575R
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be right about this horn. It doesn't seem right to me either.

First, I don't know of any serial numbers we had that started only with an "S". The whole thing with the "SK" was that it was for Severinsen/Knowlton. Doc and the owner of the company at the time.

Second, I have not seen a Severinsen model trumpet that did not have a first slide saddle. Even if the saddle had been taken off, the slide still doesn't look right.

My guess is that this is a hodge podge of parts from who knows what. Good thing you didn't bid on it.

Brett Getzen
musicmork
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

I have owned MANY Getzen Severinsens and there were plenty without a first valve saddle...some of em had triggers instead or nothing.

I have one right now from 1975 in MINT condition and there is no sadlle on the first valve slide.

What bothers ME about the horn I referred you to on eBAY is that MOST or all of the parts look like GETZEN parts...and even the tiny slide nubs that are "Getzenish".

However, doesn't the serial number look like maybe it's not original to the valve casing?

That IS a GETZEN valve casing right?

This is quite a mystery.

'75 Getzen Eterna Severinsen ( MINT COND.)
'53 L.A. Olds Ambassador
Keys/Pianos:Kurzweil PC-88,Yamaha S80,Korg 01Wfd,Hallet&Davis accoustic

[ This Message was edited by: musicmork on 2004-08-02 09:59 ]
Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well I asked around and you are correct. There were some Severinsen trumpets with nothing on the first slide. However, there were not that many. Huh, you learn something new every day.

There are a few things about this horn that don't appear right. The style of the S braces, the finger hook, the length of the upper tuning slide outter tube, etc... The valve casings do appear to be correct, but the serial number doesn't make sense. I'm thinking that maybe this started out as a Severinsen and has been worked on here and there to become whatever it is now.

Sorry I can't give you a more definate answer to all of this. Without actually holding the trumpet in my hand it is tough to say anything about it. Also, there is a chance that at some point somebody made a mistake and marked it with just the S and left out the K. I really couldn't say for sure.

Brett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: