• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Holton C605 Shep. Crook Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
livertwist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Has anyone heard of these? I realize they are a student grade horn but I was looking for something inexpensive with the crook and this one fit the bill. I ended up negotiating a sale with this seller after the auction ended. Unfortunately my girlfriend got sick and I missed the deadline by an hour. Nonetheless, no one else bid on it either so I got it for $79, $105 including shipping to Canada. Here's what I've noticed about the horn. The bell seems longer with a less pronounced crook than their C603. So it is still a "short" cornet, but it seems to land somewhere between a traditional Shepherd's crook cornet and a long American style. Has anyone played one of these? The only other thing I was wondering is if this is actually made by Holton.. with all the talk of companies outsourcing their student lines, I'm hoping this one was still made by Holton... or at least Yamaha. And on that note, I plan on pairing it up with a Yamaha short-shank 13E4 piece. Here's the links..

The C605 I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41396&item=3738913654&rd=1
Another C605 that just sold:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41396&item=3737734801&rd=1
A Holton C603 for comparison:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41396&item=3739830809&rd=1

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oliver

edit: that also means I will have a very inexpensive 50s era Olds Amb. cornet and an early 60s Conn Victor up for sale soon on the marketplace if anyone is interested.

[ This Message was edited by: livertwist on 2004-08-04 14:08 ]
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrected.

I'm surveying Holton C605 shepherd crook cornet threads. I like bargains but I'm tired of too old cornets.

Here is my universe of shepherd crook cornets under or at $300.

Holton C605 cornet. Decent? Inexpensive. Under $200. Local.

Jupiter 520M. Limited availability. It's like a cult around Jupiter goods.

Yamaha 2330. Popular. Bidding is always aggressive and these end up around $300 on a slow day.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject: Holton 605 cornet Reply with quote

Yes I have owed all three cornets. I am a bargain hunter too, very hard loop to get out of. Buying local is better than buying from ebay, shopgoodwill or Reverb. Do wish I had the resolve to do that
What are the ages of the cornets? What do the finishes look like?
Is there a 1st slide thumb saddle? 3rd slide adjustable or fixed ring?
Personally I would eliminate any cornet without a 1st slide thumb ring . You could have it installed, but that is another expense. Minimum shop visits in my area are $100.00 dollars.
The Holton 605 is vintage, Jupiter and Yamaha are modern.
If the Holton is in good shape, a 3rd slide stopper is a good thing to have.
The Yamaha and Jupiter are popular in elementary bands, so that may be a factor.
The lower cost ebay cornets and trumpet cost have risen. Quality has gone down in the last three years.
I understand your enthusium . Wish I had your patience.
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
DAVIDTHEWRITER

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Holton 605 cornet Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
Yes I have owed all three cornets. I am a bargain hunter too, very hard loop to get out of. Buying local is better than buying from ebay, shopgoodwill or Reverb. Do wish I had the resolve to do that
What are the ages of the cornets? What do the finishes look like?
Is there a 1st slide thumb saddle? 3rd slide adjustable or fixed ring?
Personally I would eliminate any cornet without a 1st slide thumb ring . You could have it installed, but that is another expense. Minimum shop visits in my area are $100.00 dollars.
The Holton 605 is vintage, Jupiter and Yamaha are modern.
If the Holton is in good shape, a 3rd slide stopper is a good thing to have.
The Yamaha and Jupiter are popular in elementary bands, so that may be a factor.
The lower cost ebay cornets and trumpet cost have risen. Quality has gone down in the last three years.
I understand your enthusium . Wish I had your patience.

Both the Holton and Yamaha in reach are in good shape.

I'm not going to pay more than $150 for the Holton and the buyer is asking $200. So that's cooking but not done deal.

Seems like a Yamaha 2330 in good condition appears regularly online for about $300. So I might just accept that price point and move harder.

Value hunting music instruments is way too easy these days. When it was just local pawn shops and classifieds, there was a naturally digestible limit. A person only faced a choice or two for months. Very difficult loop to end. I'm controlling it with budget and unit price ceilings. I'm also constraining it with model features requirements, such as the shepherds crook and brands that I prefer to own. But it's every day, reminding myself that normal people don't accumulate vintage brass instruments just because they are cheap and working. Normal, People.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Not normal Reply with quote

Obviously we are not normal. What creative person is normal,?
I agree $150.00 for the Holton 605 cornet is the price limit. Yes you might have to bite the bullet and buy a Yamaha 2330 cornet for $300.00 or more.
Looking around ebay, Shopgoodwill.com, Reverb, any cornet below $300 dollars has major issues.
I am sure the right cornet will come along at the right price.
Jupiter 9e silverplated short shank mouthpiece
Bach Megatone 5B mouthpiece
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: