• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Trumpet Big Book

View previous topic :: View next topic  
big brian
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Piccolo Trumpet Big Book Reply with quote

Last edited by big brian on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, and the little book, and the two Webster books... I consider them required reading for picc players. The Big Book is arguably the most comprehensive, and interesting. I don't have it in front of me (although it's on my stand at home -- I picked up my picc again last night, and clearly need to work on it some!) so I may not hit everything in it... After the intro, it covers equipment and technique (basic, stylings, ornamentation, etc.), then has a number of picc excerpts with notes and recordings listed, then the interviews. The interviews show that there are many approaches to playing the wee beastie and provide a nice glimpse into the minds of some of the greatest players ever. I'm not sure who all is in there, but it's an impressive list. I don't think Hakenberger -- the book's probably older than he is.

It's a fantastic book, and I can't imagine any (wannabe, in my case) picc player without it.

HTH - Don
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will second the motion for the Piccolo Big Book. It is very detailed and is a must for every serious picc player. The excerpts are great as well as the interviews. I haven't looked at mine in quite some time, but it is one of my favorite trumpet books!
Brewblue1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think Hakenberger -- the book's probably older than he is.

Actually, the PTBB was published in the early 1990's. Quite a bit younger than Mr. Hardenberger.

There is an interview with Hakan in the 'Big Book'.

A great resource!
Shires Artist
Tromba Mundi
Summit Brass
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.....from the horse's mouth.

Interviews (one page each) were with:

Allan Dean
Donald Green
Konradin Groth
Hakan Hardenberger
Adolph Herseth
Raymond Mase
Fred Mills
Bo Nilsson
Anthony Plog
Otto Sauter
Charles Schlueter
Philip Smith
Edward Tarr
Allen Vizzutti

Dave Hickman
sdgtpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakan Hardenberger's interview is terrible. Doesn't offer any insight or specific help for the reader. Just one word answers that I interpret as 'put-offish' kind of tone.

As far as the book goes..... love it. Would have liked to have the rep written in original keys instead of transposed, but I can't cry over spilled milk.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to the interview, not having read it recently.

As for the tranposition, when trying to learn the wee beastie I prefer to focus on playing and sound, then technique. Not being a great transposer, it's very helpful to me to have the stuff transposed. Of course, then I grab the horn in another key, and can practice transposing anyway, whether I meant to or not! (And, I think BB #2 is still in concert C, so you have to transpose that one anyway... No worries for me, since I can't play it -- yet.) So, as a "teaching" book, I prefer transposed excerpts. I realize all the "learn to transpose first" voices will now be heard, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

FWIWFM - Don (eternally lazy)
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hakan's interview struck me, when I first read it, as being that of a smart-alec kid trying to be clever. As I have got to know his playing and have developed in myself as well, I now think one part in particular is quite insightful, when he answers the "who should you listen to for a concept of piccolo trumpet tone?"
His answer (of "Heifitz") is one that we should all take on board. The vast amount of piccolo trumpet literature we come across is from the baroque period, where the trumpet was nothing like what we now use. The tone is almost woodwind-like and blends very easily with strings - this is what makes doing the Brandenburg so difficult - it is a concerto for four EQUAL soloists, NOT trumpet plus three supporting players!

I know that it is easy to say these things and very difficult to do them, but here is question for Mr Hickman - have you thought about asking these players again, now, and seeing how their responses differ?
I, for one, would be very interested to see if (or more likely, how) their attitudes towards piccolo trumpet have changed over the years.

As for the rest of the book. It is one I refer to regularly. I hate to sound like a complete piccolo trumpet geek (but heck, anyone who has read any of my posts will probably know that I am!), but I have nearly got to the stage of having memorised the whole thing!

Some of the ornamentation that is given for some of the pieces I must admit I find a little bit too much, but it is interesting to see what other people suggest or do.

A great book, one that should be owned by everybody, whether they play a lot of piccolo or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: