• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach 1B to Monette B2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so I've been playing on a Bach 1B for about 6 months, maybe even a bit longer. I've been rather happy with it, but it seems that I miss notes sometimes. Not like they are even high notes, but every now and then I find myself going up scales to make sure I'm on the right note.

I've been playing since 4th grade, I'm now going into 10th. Up until a year and a half ago I played on a 7C, then I moved onto a 3C for about 10 months, and from that point on I was on a 1B. I'm hearing a lot of great things about the Monette B2, is it worth changing over to?

In addition to changing my mouthpiece I've considering getting a new trumpet. I am looking to continue playing in college, and I figure a Yamaha 2335 isn't going to cut it, right? I've never really even played a pro horn, unfortunately, so I'm not aware of how much of a difference there is going to be. Sorry for my post being all over the place, any comments are greatly appreciated.

[ This Message was edited by: Phil1450 on 2004-08-14 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Phil1450 on 2004-08-14 12:37 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
improver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a profesional and play on a Monnette B4S which you have to try on a Bach #37.youll have a true pro setup able to play any situation.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...if you are only going into 10th grade, it's a good bet that a Bach 1B is WAY to big for you. A Monette B2 is about the same size as a Bach 1 1/4 C..it's a bit smaller. It may be a good way to go. You might want to experiment with Bachs first, until you find a size that you really like, and then pick up a Monette similar to that size...it's a bit cheaper, and you can return Bach mouthpieces.

Louie
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've always liked the sound that I've gotten out of the 1B, which is why I used it in the first place. But with the problems aforementioned I've been looking to going to something a bit smaller.

[ This Message was edited by: Phil1450 on 2004-08-14 13:09 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is completly off topic, but where in orange county are you? Im in port jervis all the time. if your close I know a lot of good bands and good teachers you should come to.
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Chester.
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah chester, thats a little far out there to to come to port, unless you dont mind the drive, I think its about 45 minutes.
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not sure why I'd be going out to port. Do you know any good trumpet teachers around here? I've been looking to get private instruction, just trying to find someone at this point, along with reasonable rates. Port Jervis is a bit far, though. Know any good Middletown teachers, maybe?
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the 'Monette STC2 B2' fit my Yamaha 2335? Thanks again.
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the mouthpiece front: I second the idea of first finding the most comfortable Bach you can and then perhaps switching to a similar sized Monette if you want to. A 1B is a big mouthpiece, and you might find that a 1.5C or 1.25C works better or even almost perfectly for you. For myself, I love the Monette B2. If a slightly smaller Bach works well for you, the B2 may be what you will want eventually.
On the instrument front: What are your plans in college? Performance major? Marching band? Wind ensemble? What are your plans after college? Professional performer? Teacher? Community band? Put the horn away forever? The right horn to get certainly depends on your answers to these questions AND to the question of how well student Yamaha works for you. Bach makes a great horn but if the Yamaha isn't getting in your way as a musician, you may not really need another horn just yet. For myself, I love my Strad 72/25LR, but I only went on the market to replace my beloved old Conn Connstellation when I felt that the small bore was getting in my way musically. I guess what I'm saying is: If you get a new horn, get it because you need it, and then get the horn that works best for you!
nextbrassguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing: If you do go the Monette route, you should start with an STC-1. It's the only mouthpiece which Monette specifically designs for use on non-Monette instruments. An STC-2 may well fit your 2335, but you may not be pleased with the sound the horn and mouthpiece make together.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the bigger the mouthpiece, the more lip in there, the bigger the sound.
I don't believe that just because you are in 10th grade a 1-B is too big.
If you can't tell what note you are on I would guess that is from not enough time on the same mouthpiece. If the 1-B works, stick with it for a while.

I went from a Bach 1-B to a Monette B15M.
It took a while to get used to but now I love it.

Going to a Monette mouthpiece was the single best change I ever made.
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet you would love a B2. It seems to be one of the most universally liked Monette mpc's. I use a C2 myself.
Phil1450

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On the instrument front: What are your plans in college? Performance major? Marching band? Wind ensemble? What are your plans after college? Professional performer? Teacher? Community band? Put the horn away forever? The right horn to get certainly depends on your answers to these questions AND to the question of how well student Yamaha works for you. Bach makes a great horn but if the Yamaha isn't getting in your way as a musician, you may not really need another horn just yet. For myself, I love my Strad 72/25LR, but I only went on the market to replace my beloved old Conn Connstellation when I felt that the small bore was getting in my way musically. I guess what I'm saying is: If you get a new horn, get it because you need it, and then get the horn that works best for you!

As for college, I'm not too sure what I'd like to do. Don't think I'm going to be a performance major, I've always been into computers, been building and repairing them for years. In these past few months I've been getting into the music side of computers, currently running the MAudio FireWire 410, SP-5B Monitors, and a standard MIDI keyboard. Using Cubase along with Native Instrument VSTs and Gigastudio. I've been way into that stuff for a few months now, and it's probably something I'll want to continue to do in the future. So what course would qualify that for college I honestly don't know.

About the STC2 B2 being compadible I really do hope so, otherwise I'll really be kicking myself in the ass.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3742127639
Reading "(This does not fit the Ajna II but does fit the original Ajna and the other Monette trumpets.)" made me rather nervous. Can anyone clarify?

What's the difference between a STC2 B2 and a regular ol' B2?

[ This Message was edited by: Phil1450 on 2004-08-14 21:30 ]
musicalmason
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a great tuba guy in middle town, there is a trumpet guy I know of, his name illudes me right now though, I get back to you.
daDavemeister
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The STC2 weight is heavier. Although it was designed for use with Monette trumpets, it will work in your trumpet. It won't play quite as well as the STC1 weight in my opinion. My ex-teacher was playing one of these for a while with his Bach 43, and it just seemed to be a little more work to play than the regular STC 1 weight. But yes it will fit and it will work.
BrassClass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil1450,

I have never played a Bach 1B but I can say that for me a Bach 3C to a Monette B4S was a tremendous improvement. All areas of my playing improved immediately. I have played the Monette B2 which is a great piece that I may gravitate to later on. It felt a little big when I played it but what a sound! Monettes are just the best feeling, best sounding pieces I have ever played. I play a B4L for lead or a GR G66** if want a cutting extremely bright lead sound. For legit or classical playing I can't imagine you going wrong with the Monette piece.

Good luck and enjoy your search!

[ This Message was edited by: BrassClass on 2004-08-15 14:55 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: